not so car guy, needing mustang help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

Region: Minnesota
not so car guy, needing mustang help

im looking to buy my first Mustang(dream car) ive been thinking to switch up the purchase from traditional V8 to a fox body 2.3. I want to some how keep my car a v6 and still make power pushing 250 ponies. I want to stay away from superchargers and turbochargers, might I add lol is their any other ford v6 engine maybe from a truck/car/van that I can swap in to reach this goal? is it even possible? again im a not so car guy, who loves cars lol
Roskordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Welcome to the site!! You'll get to know more about cars from being on here. And I'm not sure. I'd imagine the 3.8 liter might fit. I'm not sure about that though.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskordz View Post
im looking to buy my first Mustang(dream car) ive been thinking to switch up the purchase from traditional V8 to a fox body 2.3. I want to some how keep my car a v6 and still make power pushing 250 ponies. I want to stay away from superchargers and turbochargers, might I add lol is their any other ford v6 engine maybe from a truck/car/van that I can swap in to reach this goal? is it even possible? again im a not so car guy, who loves cars lol
If I'm not mistaken Mercury put 6 in the, which is basically a mustang, other than that I do not know.

Why do you want to stay away from turbos and superchargers? You can easily squeeze 300+ HP out of these little 2.3 4 cylinders.
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93mstnglx View Post

If I'm not mistaken Mercury put 6 in the, which is basically a mustang, other than that I do not know.

Why do you want to stay away from turbos and superchargers? You can easily squeeze 300+ HP out of these little 2.3 4 cylinders.
Well I guess what I was thinking was that I wanna stay 4or6 cylinder, and wanting to crank out as much power with out the chargers. so that when I did milk everything out if it I could get that much more power when I decided to add in the chargers. Idk if I'm making sense or not?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

Well I guess what I was thinking was that I wanna stay 4or6 cylinder, and wanting to crank out as much power with out the chargers. so that when I did milk everything out if it I could get that much more power when I decided to add in the chargers. Idk if I'm making sense or not?
I see where your going! You want to build a sleeper haha
Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:

I can understand that! Just wondering, good luck
Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #7

Yes, I guess that is the goal lol my problem is since I'm not all that mechanically inclined. What would be the smartest way to go by this? How much power can you really crank out of a 4 banger?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yes, I guess that is the goal lol my problem is since I'm not all that mechanically inclined. What would be the smartest way to go by this? How much power can you really crank out of a 4 banger?
There is a turbo charged 2.3 that puts 948hp to the flywheel!

So that's about max but its also turbo, as far not forced induction I'm not sure. Honestly I think 2300turboford would know more, I would pm him, he knows a lot about the 2.3
Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:

There is a turbo charged 2.3 that puts 948hp to the flywheel!

So that's about max but its also turbo, as far not forced induction I'm not sure. Honestly I think 2300turboford would know more, I would pm him, he knows a lot about the 2.3
Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Ok building a good hp 2.3 turbo takes mechanic skills but here it goes if you want a good running 2.3
Get a good port and polish head with bigger valves and a 5 angle valve job
Get a boport 1.5 cam and better valves springs
A esslinger cam gear will allow adjustability
A tubular header or log and I'm telling you right now it WILL crack no if ands or buts about it and one that won't crack is 800 bucks so if you can live with a little exhaust leak than do it I drove my old one 2 years with a crack you get used to it
Ok in the turbo department the stock svo turbo is good for a solid 22psi but it gives it a workout try getting one a tad bit bigger off a grand national or somthing
A front mount inner cooler is a must and stinger sells a kit
If you get a manual. Tranny get a throttle body off a 94-95 mustang gt
Port and polish intakes
And 3 in exhaust
Well that will give you a good sleeper lol

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Oh and you will have to get a bigger fuel pump and have to retune your ecu or get a la3 ecu witch I recommend

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

And btw those part are expensive but when done these cars are tons of fun and I will probably build another later I. Life
Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Ok building a good hp 2.3 turbo takes mechanic skills but here it goes if you want a good running 2.3
Get a good port and polish head with bigger valves and a 5 angle valve job
Get a boport 1.5 cam and better valves springs
A esslinger cam gear will allow adjustability
A tubular header or log and I'm telling you right now it WILL crack no if ands or buts about it and one that won't crack is 800 bucks so if you can live with a little exhaust leak than do it I drove my old one 2 years with a crack you get used to it
Ok in the turbo department the stock svo turbo is good for a solid 22psi but it gives it a workout try getting one a tad bit bigger off a grand national or somthing
A front mount inner cooler is a must and stinger sells a kit
If you get a manual. Tranny get a throttle body off a 94-95 mustang gt
Port and polish intakes
And 3 in exhaust
Well that will give you a good sleeper lol

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Oh and you will have to get a bigger fuel pump and have to retune your ecu or get a la3 ecu witch I recommend

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

And btw those part are expensive but when done these cars are tons of fun and I will probably build another later I. Life
It all sounds do'ble, financially. I still have questions tho lol. What are we talking about in the horsepower department? How many ponies will I be looking to gain without the turbo and how many with the turbo? I'm wanting to be in the area of 300hp, 300 solid ponies going over that number is ok but I really want to hit that solid 300 mark.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote:

It all sounds do'ble, financially. I still have questions tho lol. What are we talking about in the horsepower department? How many ponies will I be looking to gain without the turbo and how many with the turbo? I'm wanting to be in the area of 300hp, 300 solid ponies going over that number is ok but I really want to hit that solid 300 mark.
Oh, I'm looking to build a street car. Something I can drive on the daily not really into making a dragster or a race track specific stang.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Road Trip!

His was at about 300 a hair more I think and that was turbocharged
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #13

Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and just except the beauty of the chargers lol
Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That setup I posted is about 2-3k and will make anywhere from 280-340
Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and just except the beauty of the chargers lol
I plan on a turbo swap on mine eventually ;D
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #16

yeah, definitely in my budget to get it done and im loving those numbers actually. thank you guys for the help, it was really much appreciated. ill probably be posting tons of no sense making forums about my problems in the future
Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Now that price is what I had in mine but I did all my own work you might want to add 1k to 1500 to that if you can't do it
Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

I plan on a turbo swap on mine eventually ;D
Bet you can't wait!
540i6e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540i6e39 View Post
Bet you can't wait!
I truly can't!!! Lol I just need a job to pay for my mustang addiction lmao
Old 06-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I truly can't!!! Lol I just need a job to pay for my mustang addiction lmao
Post on Craigslist under barter. Im sure you have some old parts laying around that someone else needs lol
Old 06-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:

Post on Craigslist under barter. Im sure you have some old parts laying around that someone else needs lol
Hmm maybe lol thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmm maybe lol thanks
Or a yardsale, I needed money one time and I had a yardsale. Made 950 in one day lol
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:

Or a yardsale, I needed money one time and I had a yardsale. Made 950 in one day lol
Holy crap! That's a lot of cash in one day!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Holy crap! That's a lot of cash in one day!!!
Sold my old jvc plasma for 450, it was one of the first plasmas and a car stereo for 250 lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang