2.3 Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
2.3 Swap

M currently running a 3.8 v6 in my 86 vert. I have been thinking a 4 cyl 2.3 would be better for cruising, 5 spd swap, and easier to work. I also realize I could upgrade fuel injectors and tune it and boost it. So I could actually get some power out of it.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?
Still debating. Hate having an automatic and a v6. Haha. Worst combo!
amnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnation View Post
M currently running a 3.8 v6 in my 86 vert. I have been thinking a 4 cyl 2.3 would be better for cruising, 5 spd swap, and easier to work. I also realize I could upgrade fuel injectors and tune it and boost it. So I could actually get some power out of it.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?
Still debating. Hate having an automatic and a v6. Haha. Worst combo!
Sound cool! I can't tell you what you might need for the swap, but if you do go for it I would definitely do the 5 speed swap as well.

Good luck!
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93mstnglx View Post
Sound cool! I can't tell you what you might need for the swap, but if you do go for it I would definitely do the 5 speed swap as well. Good luck!
Is the plan to 5 spd it. I have big plans for this car. Don't want to have another car with the biggest available engine. Plus I do want some decent mileage. So I think this is my route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:

Is the plan to 5 spd it. I have big plans for this car. Don't want to have another car with the biggest available engine. Plus I do want some decent mileage. So I think this is my route.
Cool good luck with the whole project!

What year 2.3 do you plan on getting?
Old 09-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Get a 2.3t from a thunderbird
Old 09-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
+1

Since you have boost plans anyways just start of with a boosted motor.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
That's the idea. At least use a turbo off one. I haven't looked up all the specs to see if the bore or anything is different SOHC/DOHC, etc. but yeah. Ford used plenty of 2.3's so I can find them easy.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

That's the idea. At least use a turbo off one. I haven't looked up all the specs to see if the bore or anything is different SOHC/DOHC, etc. but yeah. Ford used plenty of 2.3's so I can find them easy.
Trust me ur better off getting the whole motor and harness
Old 09-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Make sure its a 83-88 I think are the years. Find one from a mercury cougar or thunderbird. If I'm not mistaken they already have a forged bottom end. Plus the internals are different compaired to the non turbo engine. As far as I know the only way to make those dohc with a volvo dohc head and a good bit on machine work.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Only use the turbo motor if you're going to boost. Otherwise you're spending money to put together a time bomb.. honestly you're probably best off buying a running turbocoupe and selling your v6 car.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Only use the turbo motor if you're going to boost. Otherwise you're spending money to put together a time bomb.. honestly you're probably best off buying a running turbocoupe and selling your v6 car.
My v6 car? You mean buy a Thunderbird and sell my Mustang?!? NOT gonna do that. But I already found a 2.3l off a 83 Thunderbird for 500$. No turbo with it. But it comes with the harness and everything else.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sounds like you gotta good plan we have two one with an svo motor and one with a turbo coupe motor both fun running 30 pounds of boost on the svo motor and great gas mileage

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3045560134.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	574.5 KB
ID:	131377

Name:	image-189266564.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	131378

Name:	image-2269549858.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	560.1 KB
ID:	131379

Name:	image-2409865494.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	131380
94CobraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My v6 car? You mean buy a Thunderbird and sell my Mustang?!? NOT gonna do that. But I already found a 2.3l off a 83 Thunderbird for 500$. No turbo with it. But it comes with the harness and everything else.
Both fox bodies.... Turbo coupes are nice cars too, man. Make sure you pull a turbo motor to swap. You can find them with the turbo still bolted up. Boosting an originally NA 2.3 isn't a great idea unless you're building the motor. Heads stink and it isn't in the same realm of durability. You should haggle the price of that motor you mentioned a bit, too. I spent 800 for an SVO motor with a good Garrett, LA3 computer, big VAM from a later turbocoupe, full harness, and all the accessories. I'm not trying to rag on you, just trying to recommend you search for something that will offer you the best capabilities within a reasonable price range.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Both fox bodies.... Turbo coupes are nice cars too, man. Make sure you pull a turbo motor to swap. You can find them with the turbo still bolted up. Boosting an originally NA 2.3 isn't a great idea unless you're building the motor. Heads stink and it isn't in the same realm of durability. You should haggle the price of that motor you mentioned a bit, too. I spent 800 for an SVO motor with a good Garrett, LA3 computer, big VAM from a later turbocoupe, full harness, and all the accessories. I'm not trying to rag on you, just trying to recommend you search for something that will offer you the best capabilities within a reasonable price range.
But I could get a 2.3 and just rebuild it using forged pistons and bigger injectors yeah?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The problem you will run into is a regular 2.3 block is very weak when used in a turbo setup and will give out due to stresses put on it from the turbo. A block out of a turbo'd car has a higher nickel content when it's casted to help out with the stretching and twisting that is put on the motor from the boost of a turbo. Do yourself a favor and get a motor from a turbo'd tbird and the engine harness and you will be glad you did. On the plus side if you can find a whole tbird that is a five speed car you can just swap everything over trans, motor, and other things and then you have everything you wanted.
Good luck!
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But I could get a 2.3 and just rebuild it using forged pistons and bigger injectors yeah?
Yes, but you'd also need the head off a turbo motor and stronger rods, which would probably cost you close to what you could just get a whole motor for. Plus you'll want a turbo ECU, VAM, possibly the intercooler, transmission, etc. I still reccomend finding a full swap. If you choose to build a NA 2.3 and boost it, the total investment would dwarf the cost of a pulled swap. Stock turbo motors handle enough power to make a fun street car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang