Coolant Temp Sender - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Coolant Temp Sender

I recently purchased a 93 mustang 2.3 ltr. The motor was surging and the temp gauge isn't working, so I replaced the temp sender on the back side of the motor. Now the idle is holding steady around 500 rpm, but the gauge still isn't working. Also, the check engine light is on. I haven't gotten it scanned yet (which will be the next step once I have a chance), but I'm curious to find out what might be most common. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Lord Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

I took the car for a test drive, and while she idles steady, while driving at a constant speed the rpms surge.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
This is strange. How bad is the surge? Is it like 200-300 rpm or is it a big surge?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

I think it's somewhere between the 3-500 range. I didn't really feel the motor itself surge, so I think it's the tach being weird. That doesn't really make much sense to me though since the only thing I've changed is the temperature sender. I did test the plug and the gauge pegged out when I applied ground, so I know the sender is bad. I've got two new ones coming from rockauto.com.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

Update: The senders I bought from rockauto are both good, but the gauge still doesn't work. I retested the plug, and now the gauge will start to go up but then drop back down to zero. The fan isn't coming on either, and I think the two problems are related. Any ideas where to begin testing?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
you might look for the IVR, instrument voltage regulator, ford liked to use them for many years. if that goes bad, then the gauges do funny things. i dont know if ford used an IVR on your car though.

i do find it odd though that you can ground the wire and the gauge pegs, but when the sensor is hooked up the gauge doesnt work. perhaps they sent you the wrong sensor?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #7

If you read the update I posted, the gauge no longer pegs out. It starts to go up, and then drops to zero. I will look for that voltage regulator though. There should be something in the wiring diagrams about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang