Mach 1 purchase? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Other Special Edition

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Mach 1 purchase?

I have a friend of mine selling a 2004 mach 1. He is asking 18k for it, it has 22000 miles and all leather interior. It is an automatic. Do you all think that price is fair or would I ask a little less?
Veracadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Woah offer 16k it has good miles but u could get a termi for that much
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That's probably about full retail price for an immaculate Mach 1 with those miles.

How good of a friend is he?

Unless you absolutely can't live without the car, and have the cash...

MAKE HIM AN OFFER!!!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I've known him from my old job so not a great friend. Just a buddy I go to car shows all the time with. Yeah I was thinking maybe 15 I mean the car is in amazing condition garage kept only driven in perfect weather but it just seems like a lot for it
Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

One of the biggest things he keeps pointing out is that he has every paper from the original order receipt to every oil change inspection and routine maintenance done all done at ford dealerships
Old 10-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I wouldn't buy an auto Mach. It is rarer than the manual but it has an entirely different engine. If im not mistaken it's not forged and the manual is. That's just my .02
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
I wouldn't buy an auto Mach. It is rarer than the manual but it has an entirely different engine. If im not mistaken it's not forged and the manual is. That's just my .02
That's interesting I really hadn't heard anything about that. I had heard that it was rarer. But nothing about a different engine
Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracadoro View Post
That's interesting I really hadn't heard anything about that. I had heard that it was rarer. But nothing about a different engine
Google it I'm about to

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

This is what I found

Manuals have forged cranks, autos cast. Other than that, they are identical engines (cams, compression, etc.) and have similar powerbands.
The 5 speed has a redline of 6,800 RPMs, the auto 5,800 RPMs.
The reason for the difference in engine redlines is the crank. The reason they have different cranks and therefore redlines is because the auto tranny's guts aren't designed to spin that high and live long, so FoMoCo gave the freer winding 5 speed a forged crank so the engine could wind higher along with the tranny.
There is a difference in weight and parasitic drivetrain loss. The auto is heavier and generally pulls about 18% from the crank. The 3650 is lighter and generally pulls about 15%. Those numbers are subjective and open to interpretation, depending on who you're talking to, but that's not out in left field, either.
They both have 3.55's from the factory.
Does that cover it? Not sure what all you
Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
They have forged crank shaft on the manuals not the autos

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote:

Google it I'm about to

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

This is what I found

Manuals have forged cranks, autos cast. Other than that, they are identical engines (cams, compression, etc.) and have similar powerbands.
The 5 speed has a redline of 6,800 RPMs, the auto 5,800 RPMs.
The reason for the difference in engine redlines is the crank. The reason they have different cranks and therefore redlines is because the auto tranny's guts aren't designed to spin that high and live long, so FoMoCo gave the freer winding 5 speed a forged crank so the engine could wind higher along with the tranny.
There is a difference in weight and parasitic drivetrain loss. The auto is heavier and generally pulls about 18% from the crank. The 3650 is lighter and generally pulls about 15%. Those numbers are subjective and open to interpretation, depending on who you're talking to, but that's not out in left field, either.
They both have 3.55's from the factory.
Does that cover it? Not sure what all you
+1 lol
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
They have forged crank shaft on the manuals not the autos

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

+1 lol
We learn something everyday.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I was actually reading the same thread when you posted. I guess that would be something for me to look at when negotiating the price with him. I am a manual guy at heart anyway. Just so hard to find a manual mach 1 that's not 100k+ miles or in a junkyard
Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

We learn something everyday.
Yes we do
Old 10-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was actually reading the same thread when you posted. I guess that would be something for me to look at when negotiating the price with him. I am a manual guy at heart anyway. Just so hard to find a manual mach 1 that's not 100k+ miles or in a junkyard
What color is it? It's still a Mach but I've been driving a manual everyday since HS and that's been 4 cars in a row and almost 10 years
Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It's the silver with the black stripe

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Yeah my current ride is a 2000 v6 full cervini stalker body kit 75k miles on her. Bought it lowered and just had to chop my exhaust to put it back to factory.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

IMO I would look for a 5 speed they are way more fun to drive and a little bit faster just my opinion
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Or look for a decent cobra
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's the silver with the black stripe

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Yeah my current ride is a 2000 v6 full cervini stalker body kit 75k miles on her. Bought it lowered and just had to chop my exhaust to put it back to factory.
I do like the dsg Mach there sweet looking
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm going to do that, just save up till I can buy outright with no loan and just get one. I still have insurance prices to look forward to. Paying 100 a month for the v6 currently
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think I'm going to do that, just save up till I can buy outright with no loan and just get one. I still have insurance prices to look forward to. Paying 100 a month for the v6 currently
Man I pay 60 a month for full coverage on my mach I'm 21
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I pay $100/month for full coverage on my boss
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I pay $100/month for full coverage on my boss
Nice
Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Damn I'm 19. I have two accidents on my report though. One a tiny fender tap in my old cavalier and the other someone cut me off by rolling over a double solid white area ( just before an interstate turn off) and when he locked his brakes I slid right into him cracked my bumper and headlight on his truck hitch not a scratch on him

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

But I do have full coverage and collision and all of that good garbage
Old 10-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have a speeding ticket & 3 at fault accidents but I did just turn 26 and took a defensive driving class. I don't think the tickets and accidents show up anymore though. The speeding was this year though. Dang motorcycle madness lol. I sold it though. I was way to reckless on it for my liking. But I still want another one. But a 600 this time, I had a 750 before.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I've been meaning to take a defensive driving course forever now. Did it help your insurance a lot? And I've actually been looking at a katana for awhile now. Get to and from work a little cheaper on gas and insurance.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been meaning to take a defensive driving course forever now. Did it help your insurance a lot? And I've actually been looking at a katana for awhile now. Get to and from work a little cheaper on gas and insurance.
My insurance on it was $100/year liability.

I will say my insurance didn't go up. I took the DD course the same week I got the speeding ticket so I guess it canceled out the ticket and may even lowered my premium a hair.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a speeding ticket & 3 at fault accidents but I did just turn 26 and took a defensive driving class. I don't think the tickets and accidents show up anymore though. The speeding was this year though. Dang motorcycle madness lol. I sold it though. I was way to reckless on it for my liking. But I still want another one. But a 600 this time, I had a 750 before.
A buddy lets me ride his 07 gsxr 1000 man they are crazy fast I want to buy 1 but don't trust my self yet lol and I have 0 tickets and 0 wrecks got pulled over yesterday for spinning my tires in the rain lol whatever got a warning and said my car sounded good happy about that
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Nice cop! Lol I got pulled over awhile ago for "getting to close to a curb and going 27 in a 25" he didn't find anything else to ticket me on so he let me go. And 100 a year!! Wow I pay that a month
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post

A buddy lets me ride his 07 gsxr 1000 man they are crazy fast I want to buy 1 but don't trust my self yet lol and I have 0 tickets and 0 wrecks got pulled over yesterday for spinning my tires in the rain lol whatever got a warning and said my car sounded good happy about that
I would never get on a liter bike lol I'd kill myself. I like how light the 600s are. You can just flick them around corners.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I would shop around as far as mustangs and such go but when I saw that over hood scoop I fell in love with the mach 1 lol. My other issue is I am a pc gamer. So whenever i "save money" I always end up finding something to buy
Old 10-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I would shop around as far as mustangs and such go but when I saw that over hood scoop I fell in love with the mach 1 lol. My other issue is I am a pc gamer. So whenever i "save money" I always end up finding something to buy
I love watching the shaker and that's the first thing the girl passengers ask too is that suppost to move like that lol
Old 10-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

lol! When I first saw the shaker on the mach one I knew I would obsess over getting one
Old 10-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If it was on the lot it would probably be listed about $21k. I think it's a fair price for retail but being a private seller you should be able to get it for less . I spent $20k on mine retail with 10k miles and it was immaculate still had new car smell. And I'm with em on the automatic. I love my short throw on my comp orange find a manual if u can.
jlowe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlowe1 View Post
If it was on the lot it would probably be listed about $21k. I think it's a fair price for retail but being a private seller you should be able to get it for less . I spent $20k on mine retail with 10k miles and it was immaculate still had new car smell. And I'm with em on the automatic. I love my short throw on my comp orange find a manual if u can.
You spent $20k BC of the color honestly. It's a rare combo just like the CO cobra. One of those will run you around $30k
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Depending on the color that auto will become collectors because of the really low production rate for automatic Mach 1's.
TimBHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
You spent $20k BC of the color honestly. It's a rare combo just like the CO cobra. One of those will run you around $30k
Lol yeah that too. I found some crapy comp orange cobras for 25-26k with 50k miles but they were dogged pretty good and had paint work. I plan on putting a comp orange boss right next to it and then a comp orange cobra. I might be obsessed.
jlowe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Other Special Edition