Looking at Mach 1 for next car and would like some input!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Other Special Edition

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Looking at Mach 1 for next car and would like some input!!

Good morning! Earlier this week I sold my 2003 GT to my friend for around $3500. The car was fun for the time I had it, but I wanted to move on to something better and he really wanted it.

I'm finally going for a 2004 Mach 1 in Torch Red (5 Speed of course), which has always been my favorite New Edge Mustang, mainly because of how the car looks (Shaker helps 😁) and because I was always a fan of the N/A DOHC engines.

Before I pull the trigger on one, I wanted to hear input from other Mach 1 owners. My goal for this car is to be an all-rounder. Sometimes I'll drive it as a daily, sometimes take it on long trips, sometimes I'll take it to the strip, maybe autocross it every once and a while, and definitely take it to shows and show it off. Would this be a good car for all that? I would love for it to be comfortable on long highway distances, yet be able to run mid-high 12s with bolt-ons and a good tune, but also be a decent handling car so I can go for "spirited" drives. Finally, I'd eventually like to add a 100-125 shot of nitrous to use only down at the track, but I'm not sure if the stock block and internals could handle that.

I'm hoping a Mach 1 could handle all that because I've always really wanted one, and I'll be able to finally get one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I think the Mach 1 will do everything you want and more. For the money, Imo the 03-04 5spd Mach 1's are the best bang for your buck N/A option in the Fox Platform (79-04).

I have my Mach 1 doing basically all those duties, only exception being in an actual autocross event. I drive it to work some days, have taken it on trips for hundreds of miles, and go to several car shows. It's comfortable, reliable, and turns heads.

From the factory it is pretty competent, 3.55 gearing, 4V built to make great mid range torque, compliant suspension. Best part is all those things can be improved without too much effort.
+4.10's, exhaust, intake, tune, short throw and some radials and you'll be in the high 12's. (driver mod required!)
Upgrade to quality progressive drop springs, shocks/struts, CC plates, and LCA's and she'll be very competent in the corners. Coil overs will further improve on that, depends on what you prefer.

As with any power adder, there is always risk. Nitrous increases the wear and stress factor and in the world of mechanical things, that further invites the possibility of failure. However, if the shot is sensible and the tuning is spot on, adding nitrous to the stock block for occasional use will be fine. Again, a healthy engine and tuning is critical.

I bought mine in June 2014. I considered an 03-04 Cobra or even a +2011 5.0. The 5.0's were well over 20k and I could not find a Cobra that wasn't abused in the budget I allowed myself. For that car I would prefer stock/near stock and I could not find one under 18k.

I paid 10k for my 04 Mach with 58k miles with an intake and Flowmaster mufflers. Original 4V and TR3650. Just needed a new hood stripe and a good clay bar treatment.

When I go to car shows there are usually no more than 3 Mach 1's. I get tons of compliments and questions about the car, mainly because people aren't familiar with the Machs. Most think it's a GT with some cosmetic add ons and when they find out how much different it really is they are surprised. And the guys who are familiar with them have respect for them. I have had many Cobra/Coyote guys compliment the Machs and some even owned one years ago and wished they still had it. They wanted to achieve more power easier and I think moving into one of those platforms is the right choice if that's what you want. But if you are happy with the Mach for where it sits in the Mustang hierarchy then it's a great car.

And who doesn't love this menacing face

I say go for it! Mach's are awesome and you just don't see them a lot. I wanted one since high school and I finally got mine. I don't regret it one bit!

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I think the Mach 1 will do everything you want and more. For the money, Imo the 03-04 5spd Mach 1's are the best bang for your buck N/A option in the Fox Platform (79-04).

I have my Mach 1 doing basically all those duties, only exception being in an actual autocross event. I drive it to work some days, have taken it on trips for hundreds of miles, and go to several car shows. It's comfortable, reliable, and turns heads.

From the factory it is pretty competent, 3.55 gearing, 4V built to make great mid range torque, compliant suspension. Best part is all those things can be improved without too much effort.
+4.10's, exhaust, intake, tune, short throw and some radials and you'll be in the high 12's. (driver mod required!)
Upgrade to quality progressive drop springs, shocks/struts, CC plates, and LCA's and she'll be very competent in the corners. Coil overs will further improve on that, depends on what you prefer.

As with any power adder, there is always risk. Nitrous increases the wear and stress factor and in the world of mechanical things, that further invites the possibility of failure. However, if the shot is sensible and the tuning is spot on, adding nitrous to the stock block for occasional use will be fine. Again, a healthy engine and tuning is critical.

I bought mine in June 2014. I considered an 03-04 Cobra or even a +2011 5.0. The 5.0's were well over 20k and I could not find a Cobra that wasn't abused in the budget I allowed myself. For that car I would prefer stock/near stock and I could not find one under 18k.

I paid 10k for my 04 Mach with 58k miles with an intake and Flowmaster mufflers. Original 4V and TR3650. Just needed a new hood stripe and a good clay bar treatment.

When I go to car shows there are usually no more than 3 Mach 1's. I get tons of compliments and questions about the car, mainly because people aren't familiar with the Machs. Most think it's a GT with some cosmetic add ons and when they find out how much different it really is they are surprised. And the guys who are familiar with them have respect for them. I have had many Cobra/Coyote guys compliment the Machs and some even owned one years ago and wished they still had it. They wanted to achieve more power easier and I think moving into one of those platforms is the right choice if that's what you want. But if you are happy with the Mach for where it sits in the Mustang hierarchy then it's a great car.

And who doesn't love this menacing face

I say go for it! Mach's are awesome and you just don't see them a lot. I wanted one since high school and I finally got mine. I don't regret it one bit!
YES to everything here. First off, that is one mean looking Mach 1 Azure Blue is one of my favorites, even though Red will always be my number one choice. I've always wanted one since I saw my first one back in 2006. My brother-in-law bought a 2003 in DSG, and it was the nicest Mustang I've ever seen, and what actually pushed me to really get into Mustangs in the first place. Since then, I've always wanted one, except in red lol.

Even though the Cobra and new 5.0s are faster from factory, I still love how much performance the Mach 1 has with the N/A DOHC engine. I love how high they rev and the sounds, but the best part is the 04 Machs are the perfect platform to do just about anything I would want to. If I want to add some serious boost later I can get forged internals and have at it. If I want IRS, I can swap in IRS. To me though, just adding a safe shot of nitrous occasionally is enough for me with this car, at least for now lol.

The best thing about the Mach though is exactly what you said: it seems to be more exclusive than any other Mustangs at shows. I went to a show last summer and I remember seeing all kinds of Mustangs, including GT500s, SN-95 Cobras, terminators, foxbodies, you name it, but I didnt see any Mach 1s at all. I'm confident that having a Mach would definitely turn heads and get plenty of praise.

In the end, I've pretty much made up my mind and I'm going after one. With the list of mods I have planned out and your words, I have no doubt this car will suit everything I'm looking for, and I can't wait to do everything with it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow View Post
YES to everything here. First off, that is one mean looking Mach 1 Azure Blue is one of my favorites, even though Red will always be my number one choice. I've always wanted one since I saw my first one back in 2006. My brother-in-law bought a 2003 in DSG, and it was the nicest Mustang I've ever seen, and what actually pushed me to really get into Mustangs in the first place. Since then, I've always wanted one, except in red lol.

Even though the Cobra and new 5.0s are faster from factory, I still love how much performance the Mach 1 has with the N/A DOHC engine. I love how high they rev and the sounds, but the best part is the 04 Machs are the perfect platform to do just about anything I would want to. If I want to add some serious boost later I can get forged internals and have at it. If I want IRS, I can swap in IRS. To me though, just adding a safe shot of nitrous occasionally is enough for me with this car, at least for now lol.

The best thing about the Mach though is exactly what you said: it seems to be more exclusive than any other Mustangs at shows. I went to a show last summer and I remember seeing all kinds of Mustangs, including GT500s, SN-95 Cobras, terminators, foxbodies, you name it, but I didnt see any Mach 1s at all. I'm confident that having a Mach would definitely turn heads and get plenty of praise.

In the end, I've pretty much made up my mind and I'm going after one. With the list of mods I have planned out and your words, I have no doubt this car will suit everything I'm looking for, and I can't wait to do everything with it
Hell yeah man Torch Red looks soo good on the Machs. A TR with gloss black 18" Saleens is sex on wheels That and DSG were my next color choices if I couldn't find Azure Blue.

I agree, even though the other mustangs mentioned have more power the Mach 1 is very well balanced. You can throw it in the corners but still have enough torque on hand to push ahead in the straights. If you want to go FI you certainly can just keep boost low and you'll be fine.

I really believe the Mach 1 was sort of overshadowed by the 03-04 Cobra back in the day. It appealed to a niche group who fondly remembered the 69-70's cars and that was really it. But now they have a "new" sort of appeal as many Mustang enthusiasts wanting to get into a solid platform for fairly low money opt for a Mach over a 2v GT. GT's are still awesome btw. Or the guys like us who have a longing to get one finally can.

Keep us posted on your search man! That's half the fun. If you have any questions about a specific car you found or anything else let me know, don't hesitate to ask!

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 02-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hell yeah man Torch Red looks soo good on the Machs. A TR with gloss black 18" Saleens is sex on wheels That and DSG were my next color choices if I couldn't find Azure Blue.

I agree, even though the other mustangs mentioned have more power the Mach 1 is very well balanced. You can throw it in the corners but still have enough torque on hand to push ahead in the straights. If you want to go FI you certainly can just keep boost low and you'll be fine.

I really believe the Mach 1 was sort of overshadowed by the 03-04 Cobra back in the day. It appealed to a niche group who fondly remembered the 69-70's cars and that was really it. But now they have a "new" sort of appeal as many Mustang enthusiasts wanting to get into a solid platform for fairly low money opt for a Mach over a 2v GT. GT's are still awesome btw. Or the guys like us who have a longing to get one finally can.

Keep us posted on your search man! That's half the fun. If you have any questions about a specific car you found or anything else let me know, don't hesitate to ask!
I've seen only a handful of Torch Red Mach 1s in person and I loved all of them. By far my favorite color IMO, with DSG & Azure Blue tied for 2nd. As for black wheels, either Saleens are black FR500s with the polished lip look mean as hell on these cars Before I would get those wheels, I have a set of Chrome Deep Dish 03 Cobra wheels that will work for now.

Well balanced is key for me, unless if the car is only meant to be for a singular purpose. I know the Mach 1s way less than the Terminators too (3350 for the Mach vs 3600 for the terminator?) and the low-end torque revisions for the R code engine gave this car the edge. I'm glad Ford found a way to preserve the old N/A Cobra motor for another two years. You're right though, it's a shame the Terminator overshadowed it, but still, enough people wanting the retro throwback bought plenty of them, I think more than Ford planned to build. And now, someone like me can realistically get into one for a decent penny after drooling over them for years.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on my search for the perfect Mach 1 (Jig standards? ). Are there cheaper ones in different parts of the country? I'm willing to travel to get the right one, and it seems cars in the NJ area are higher priced than others, or people just like to post ridiculous prices sometimes.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow View Post
I've seen only a handful of Torch Red Mach 1s in person and I loved all of them. By far my favorite color IMO, with DSG & Azure Blue tied for 2nd. As for black wheels, either Saleens are black FR500s with the polished lip look mean as hell on these cars Before I would get those wheels, I have a set of Chrome Deep Dish 03 Cobra wheels that will work for now.

Well balanced is key for me, unless if the car is only meant to be for a singular purpose. I know the Mach 1s way less than the Terminators too (3350 for the Mach vs 3600 for the terminator?) and the low-end torque revisions for the R code engine gave this car the edge. I'm glad Ford found a way to preserve the old N/A Cobra motor for another two years. You're right though, it's a shame the Terminator overshadowed it, but still, enough people wanting the retro throwback bought plenty of them, I think more than Ford planned to build. And now, someone like me can realistically get into one for a decent penny after drooling over them for years.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on my search for the perfect Mach 1 (Jig standards? ). Are there cheaper ones in different parts of the country? I'm willing to travel to get the right one, and it seems cars in the NJ area are higher priced than others, or people just like to post ridiculous prices sometimes.
A lot of the N/A SVT guys bash the Mach 1, calling it the bastard child of SVT lol. Deep down I think they hate the fact that the Mach 4V is simply better overall. Stock for stock the Mach 1 will outrun the 96-01 N/A Cobras. Plus you can never mistake a Mach 1 for another mustang, I've glanced at stock 99/01 Cobras going by and thought they were 03-04 v6's until I saw the bumper. I'm still on the fence as to whether they should bring the Mach 1 back. It may have worked on the S197 cars, but I think the package would look out of place on the S550. Could very well be overdone like the Bullitt.

As far as prices. I occasionally do some searches for sh*ts and it seems like the farther south you go, the more abundant and cheaper they get. Most cars up here in the upper midwest are priced above average. I almost bought an 03 with 105k miles for $10,500 located in MN. It had some bolt ons (gears, exhaust, tune), but still. It baffles me that I almost ended up with that car instead of my 04 with almost half the miles that I paid $10k for

There are deals out there. My car is solid with no powertrain/drivetrain issues. Paint is 8.75/10 and interior is 9.5/10. Can't complain.

If I see a Torch Red 04 5spd up here that looks legit I'll PM you a link. If you're interested and it's within reasonable driving range or I'm heading that way I'll check it out for you. Just let me know

Old 02-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A lot of the N/A SVT guys bash the Mach 1, calling it the bastard child of SVT lol. Deep down I think they hate the fact that the Mach 4V is simply better overall. Stock for stock the Mach 1 will outrun the 96-01 N/A Cobras. Plus you can never mistake a Mach 1 for another mustang, I've glanced at stock 99/01 Cobras going by and thought they were 03-04 v6's until I saw the bumper. I'm still on the fence as to whether they should bring the Mach 1 back. It may have worked on the S197 cars, but I think the package would look out of place on the S550. Could very well be overdone like the Bullitt.

As far as prices. I occasionally do some searches for sh*ts and it seems like the farther south you go, the more abundant and cheaper they get. Most cars up here in the upper midwest are priced above average. I almost bought an 03 with 105k miles for $10,500 located in MN. It had some bolt ons (gears, exhaust, tune), but still. It baffles me that I almost ended up with that car instead of my 04 with almost half the miles that I paid $10k for

There are deals out there. My car is solid with no powertrain/drivetrain issues. Paint is 8.75/10 and interior is 9.5/10. Can't complain.

If I see a Torch Red 04 5spd up here that looks legit I'll PM you a link. If you're interested and it's within reasonable driving range or I'm heading that way I'll check it out for you. Just let me know
So true. The Mach 1 may have the solid axle, but if anything, the car outperforms the SVTs from 96-01 in every aspect, and the engine actually has some low-down balls instead of having to rev it all the way out to get power from it. I love the 96-98 Cobras, but the 99-01s don't seem that special looking to me. IRS is nice, but the rest of it is bland compared to a Mach. As for bringing it back for the S550, it would only work if they redesigned the front bumper to something more retro looking. Considering it's supposed to be updated in 2018, you never know. Maybe then it would work, but either way it definitely needs the shaker or it's as good as failed.

Please PM me a link if you find any; it would be greatly appreciated!! I'm willing to go all the way south and as far west as Texas-North Dakota, only if the car is solid and exudes confidence that it'll make it home with no issues.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Any specifics besides it being an 04 TR 5spd?

Maximum mileage amount or does it not matter?
Bone stock or can it be modded? Bolt ons? etc.
Prefer only 1 owner cars or is a car with multiple owners okay?

Also price if you're willing to say.

Are you 110% dead set on an 04 or would you entertain a clean 03 TR 5spd?

Just curious so if I come across something that doesn't fit your criteria I won't waste your time with a link.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Any specifics besides it being an 04 TR 5spd?

Maximum mileage amount or does it not matter?
Bone stock or can it be modded? Bolt ons? etc.
Prefer only 1 owner cars or is a car with multiple owners okay?

Also price if you're willing to say.

Are you 110% dead set on an 04 or would you entertain a clean 03 TR 5spd?

Just curious so if I come across something that doesn't fit your criteria I won't waste your time with a link.

My preferences are: Torch Red, 5-speed, interior upgrade package, no more than 65,000 miles, maximum price $14000, and up to 3 prior owns, although 2 or less is preferred.

Minor bolt-ons is ok, just as long as (most) of the stock parts are still around. For example, if it has wheels then that's fine, so long as the owner still has the originals. And I'm pretty deadest on 2004, but if a stupidly awesome deal presents itself for a 2003, I won't turn it down.

I know that sounds picky but I want this to be done perfect this time lol

"Jig"
2014 Ford Focus ST (ST3, Tuxedo Black Metallic)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red)
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (SOLD)

Old 02-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are getting the 5 speed, get whichever 2003 or 2004 is in the best condition you can afford. There is so little difference between the 2 years and no, there is no power difference. Its only if you are getting the auto that you really really want the 04.

I almost got a black 04 Auto Mach for $8k last summer. It had a LOT of miles on it at 140k but it drove and shifted great and it was actually in spectacular shape. I sometimes think maybe I should have... Body and interior were fine, trans shifted great, engine was fine. It really is all about condition.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you are getting the 5 speed, get whichever 2003 or 2004 is in the best condition you can afford. There is so little difference between the 2 years and no, there is no power difference. Its only if you are getting the auto that you really really want the 04.

I almost got a black 04 Auto Mach for $8k last summer. It had a LOT of miles on it at 140k but it drove and shifted great and it was actually in spectacular shape. I sometimes think maybe I should have... Body and interior were fine, trans shifted great, engine was fine. It really is all about condition.
My last 2003 GT was over 160K miles when I bought it, and despite knowing the differences between the two, I really want to shy away from a high mileage New Edge when buying it. When I bought my Focus ST, I knew it was in perfect condition then and I will always know anything that goes wrong with it. I'm looking to have that sort of feeling with whatever Mach 1 I pick up, hence my picky nature

Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I think Screaming Yellow on the Mach 1 looks fantastic 👍

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Other Special Edition