Shelby shifting question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Shelby shifting question

Howdy all.

I am about to get the Shelby GT 500 or a GT trying to figure out is the extra 20K worth it for the 650 hp, but that is not my question.

My brother has a 2002 Corvette with a 6 speed trany if you get on it to hard a gate locks in and you can not shift from 1st to 2nd it locks you out of 2nd and makes you go to 3rd. Does the Mustang trany do the same thing? If so is there an easy override for it? I almost wreaked his Vette because I thought I missed the gear and looked down at the shifter to see what was going on. Not a better idea as far as I am concerned. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Gt500 is deffenatly worth it IMO. I've driven both and if I could have found a decent used one anywear near my area I would have gotten the gt500" for sure.

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Shelby shifting question

welcome, for the cost vs what you gain the GT500 is where its at, just do NOT pay anything over sticker, the deals will be out there, the GT500s are NOT limited, they will not be worth more down the road. Wait for the right car at the right price, dont get suckered into paying a dime over sticker.

both cars are good for the money (unless its a fully loaded GT then you may as well get a GT500) but the potential for the GT500 is just FAR superior for the money.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks I am just waiting to pay off another car before I get it on order next spring. The big question is about the shift gate does it block you from selecting any gears because you are taching to high or what ever?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Absolutely worth it in my opinion. The new 5.0's are awesome. Yes, you can make them faster than a Shelby but at a cost for reliability. However you are really buying the Shelby for exclusivity, not to mention 500-600hp with a full warranty. On top of that Shelby's make even more monster power with simple bolt ins and tune if you choose to go that route and your warranty is not a factor.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Skipshift feature does not lock you out when you are getting on it . It locks you out when you are driving slow and don't need to shift into every gear. Your vette may have another problem.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
welcome, for the cost vs what you gain the GT500 is where its at, just do NOT pay anything over sticker, the deals will be out there, the GT500s are NOT limited, they will not be worth more down the road. Wait for the right car at the right price, dont get suckered into paying a dime over sticker.

both cars are good for the money (unless its a fully loaded GT then you may as well get a GT500) but the potential for the GT500 is just FAR superior for the money.
Absolutely agree. My dealer tried to mark up mine. I shopped nationally and ended up paying below market value and around 13 grand less what was initially offered. Do your home work and walk away if they play games.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5
Howdy all.

I am about to get the Shelby GT 500 or a GT trying to figure out is the extra 20K worth it for the 650 hp, but that is not my question.

My brother has a 2002 Corvette with a 6 speed trany if you get on it to hard a gate locks in and you can not shift from 1st to 2nd it locks you out of 2nd and makes you go to 3rd. Does the Mustang trany do the same thing? If so is there an easy override for it? I almost wreaked his Vette because I thought I missed the gear and looked down at the shifter to see what was going on. Not a better idea as far as I am concerned. Thanks
My bad, answered wrong question. The answer to your question is no it doesn't. I've got a '93 Vette with the same feature(1st to 4th). My 12 Shelby doesn't do that mess. Hope that helps.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
Skipshift feature does not lock you out when you are getting on it . It locks you out when you are driving slow and don't need to shift into every gear. Your vette may have another problem.
Thanks I really hated that feature I drove my brother Vette once and won't drive it again for that reason. I don't know what was going on all I know it locked me out of 2nd.

Thanks Again
Mike
Old 07-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I have NEVER had my skipshift activate on my 2012, ive heard they sometimes leave the what ever it is unplugged. Ive even tried it wont activate lol
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #10

Region: Michigan

My Viper has this - they call it a skip shift. It has something to do with increasing fuel economy so they can avoid the gas guzzler tax. Basically, if you attempt to shift from 1st to 2nd without reaching a certain rpm (around 2000), it locks out 2nd gear and forces you to go to 3rd.

It can be easily defeated with a $10.00 aftermarket part if it bothers you. Personally, I've gotten used to it and it seldom ever kicks in for me.

I can't answer your question whether the GT500 has this 'feature' or not. Ask me in two weeks and I will know.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang