Oil Storage question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Oil Storage question

all right I have a question I can not find an answer to with a search on here. My 5.8 liter takes 8.5 QTS of 5W 50. My question is if I find the type of oil I plan on using on sale can I buy a few extra quarts and keep them in my garage unheated or cooled as long as I don't break the seal? If so how long? I don't think it breaks down or gets water intrusion but I am not oil engineer.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mobil 1 says 5 years, with synthetic being higher (didn't say how much longer, just longer). Most car guys say that if it has been sitting around for over a year untouched, you should turn the bottle upside down for a day before use in case any separation has occurred. It all gets mixed back up in a nice warm engine anyhow.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwinta1 View Post
Mobil 1 says 5 years, with synthetic being higher (didn't say how much longer, just longer). Most car guys say that if it has been sitting around for over a year untouched, you should turn the bottle upside down for a day before use in case any separation has occurred. It all gets mixed back up in a nice warm engine anyhow.

Hope that helps!
Perfect I guess I should have just looked at the Mobil One site. Thanks

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I prefer Redline. You can google for details and buy on amazon
Jvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
It's time for our first change in our 2013 GT500. We're going Royal Purple or Amsoil.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Amsoil doesn't make a 5w50, which is my I went Redline

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvos View Post
Amsoil doesn't make a 5w50, which is my I went Redline
Too bad because I am a long time Amsoil guy
Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Be careful with redline. The motorcraft 5W-50 quickly shears to a low grade 40 weight lubricant. Ford knows this and has said same. It is much better to go with a lubricant that is already a true synthetic stock that will now shear (RP, amsoil) and go with a 40 weight. Redline is a true synthetic and a good oil, BUT if you choose a true synthetic stock that is a 50 weight, it has been proven that it is not ideal for the 5.4 supercharged engine for mostly street use. Go to svt performance forum and look up a guy named unleashed beast. He has posted up many used oil analysis provig everything I've been saying
Bluesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnake View Post
Be careful with redline. The motorcraft 5W-50 quickly shears to a low grade 40 weight lubricant. Ford knows this and has said same. It is much better to go with a lubricant that is already a true synthetic stock that will now shear (RP, amsoil) and go with a 40 weight. Redline is a true synthetic and a good oil, BUT if you choose a true synthetic stock that is a 50 weight, it has been proven that it is not ideal for the 5.4 supercharged engine for mostly street use. Go to svt performance forum and look up a guy named unleashed beast. He has posted up many used oil analysis provig everything I've been saying
Interesting. I'll check it out. Btw it was my Amsoil delayer of 10 years that told me if Amsoil doesn't make it, use Redline.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah amsoil for liability reasons can't recommend their oil since it tech isn't the 5w50 that ford says to use. However the amsoil 10w40 exceeded the ford spec b standards. I der want to use a better fluid than the motorcraft, so I'm in the same boat you are. I was originally going to use redline as well, but the. I heard that if the lubricant stays a 5w50 like the redline will because it's a true synthetic stock, it can end up being too thick. I need to do more research as well. Let me know what you find man.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Now I have too ask a question. I was planning on using Mobil 1 for my oil I see Red Line and Amsoil talked about I looked on the Amsoil site and they do not make an oil for my 5.8 liter. Which I understand the 10-40 may work. It is my DD during the summer with a bit of time on a road course if I get the chance.

So I don't want to become a chemist nor do I want to play one on TV I want to make sure my oil meets Ford spec's in case. I figured Mobil 1, Motor Craft and Red Line all had the right viscosity's listed I have used Mobil 1 in the past and have liked it I have never had a problem with Motor Craft oil that is what I use in my other vehicles (the ford garage does all my oil changes for free on them).

I have always had good luck with Mobil 1 or Motor Craft oils. I just started hearing about Red Line oils I know Summit Racing carries the Red Line and I live a few minutes away form the main store. So for a DD what difference does it make? Any of them should meet Fords Spec correct?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
Now I have too ask a question. I was planning on using Mobil 1 for my oil I see Red Line and Amsoil talked about I looked on the Amsoil site and they do not make an oil for my 5.8 liter. Which I understand the 10-40 may work. It is my DD during the summer with a bit of time on a road course if I get the chance.

So I don't want to become a chemist nor do I want to play one on TV I want to make sure my oil meets Ford spec's in case. I figured Mobil 1, Motor Craft and Red Line all had the right viscosity's listed I have used Mobil 1 in the past and have liked it I have never had a problem with Motor Craft oil that is what I use in my other vehicles (the ford garage does all my oil changes for free on them).

I have always had good luck with Mobil 1 or Motor Craft oils. I just started hearing about Red Line oils I know Summit Racing carries the Red Line and I live a few minutes away form the main store. So for a DD what difference does it make? Any of them should meet Fords Spec correct?
Yeah honestly we are WAY in the weeds on this one. All you need to do is use 5W-50 oil. Particularly if its your DD and you have no intention of taking your Shelby near it's limits. Some of us prefer the top end, high performance syns, but if you want to use Mobile 1 or MC, go ahead.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

As far as I can research, if you mainly use your shelby for DD and eating camaros then any 5w50 you listed would be fine. I just checked redline's web site and their 5w50 is now certified to meet fords spec b. so that gives a little more piece of mind. I think I am going to give redline a shot with my next oil change. In fact I will probably try their fluid in my transmission and rear diff as well.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As far as I can research, if you mainly use your shelby for DD and eating camaros then any 5w50 you listed would be fine. I just checked redline's web site and their 5w50 is now certified to meet fords spec b. so that gives a little more piece of mind. I think I am going to give redline a shot with my next oil change. In fact I will probably try their fluid in my transmission and rear diff as well.
RedLine is not certified anymore to meet Ford specs. The website days "recommended". FYI, Both Castrol and Redline 5w-50 don't meet the B specs anymore. Only Motorcraft 5w-50. Well played Ford. The thread on the SVTperformance forum has good information to know, however it is biased to AMSOIL. Not that that's a bad thing. To add to your information a 40 weight oil true synthetic stock is only recommended if you retain the stock thermostat and/or road race
3dStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dStang View Post
RedLine is not certified anymore to meet Ford specs. The website days "recommended". FYI, Both Castrol and Redline 5w-50 don't meet the B specs anymore. Only Motorcraft 5w-50. Well played Ford. The thread on the SVTperformance forum has good information to know, however it is biased to AMSOIL. Not that that's a bad thing. To add to your information a 40 weight oil true synthetic stock is only recommended if you retain the stock thermostat and/or road race
Well I guess I will cross that off my list. Thanks

Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Redline and others don't meet the ford spec because they diet pay the $$$ for the ford licensing. Redline far EXCEEDS the ford b spec. Out of the 5w-50 oils out there redline is the most highly recommended and it's what I will be switching to for my next oil change. I have seen used oil analysis showing that amsoil 10w-40 performs even better, but for now I feel more comfortable sticking with the spec weight lubricant. I actually just ordered redline tranny and rear diff fluid, they might save me from spending $350 on an aftermarket shifter
Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Redline and others don't meet the ford spec because they diet pay the $$$ for the ford licensing. Redline far EXCEEDS the ford b spec. Out of the 5w-50 oils out there redline is the most highly recommended and it's what I will be switching to for my next oil change. I have seen used oil analysis showing that amsoil 10w-40 performs even better, but for now I feel more comfortable sticking with the spec weight lubricant. I actually just ordered redline tranny and rear diff fluid, they might save me from spending $350 on an aftermarket shifter
No arguments here. My assumption is folks want the spec for warranty issues. Ask Troy (aka Unleashed beast on SVTperf) about RedLine 5w-50. His opinion is any 50 weight true synthetic base stock like RedLine is to viscous for our engines. You are doing your homework for an informed decision. Your oil choice comes down to preference and intended car use. We are way in the weeds in this one. FYI, I've run motorcraft and Redline. I'm currently on a Castrol Edge fill because its easy to pick up locally.
3dStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah we are gettig in the weeds lol I think all of the ones mentioned are good choices to be honest. Yeah unleashed recommended redline if you are going to stay with a 5w-50. I talked to a tech from redline asking if it was too think and he we née to be confident that it wouldn't. He said that our motor would be alright wih a 40 weight such as amsoil as well. I will report back with how the redline fluids perform in my tranny and rear diff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang