2013 GT500 1/4 Mile Time Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
2013 GT500 1/4 Mile Time Question

I was wondering if you guys could help explain something to me...

So with all the power that the 2013 GT500 has, why does it not have a better 1/4 mile time? If I remember right, it runs like 11 seconds (dont hold me to that)

Is it because while it has the power it kicks in too late for the 1/4 mile?
Wouldn't the supercharger help this?

I don't know a ton, so please forgive me if I am missing something 'obvious'

Thanks

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
kdbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It has A ton of power, but it is also geared longer so that it can hit a top speed of 200+ mph.
Bluesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnake View Post
It has A ton of power, but it is also geared longer so that it can hit a top speed of 200+ mph.
+1

gears and I would assume if you geared it diffrent that it would have major traction issues with that much power. I think there are a few people that have gotten them into the high 9's with minor mods.

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
It "only" has 285 tires on the rear, although the launch control helps to overcome that. Also as mentioned above it has long gearing, it can hit 60 mph in 1st gear.

You've also got to remember its just shy of 4000 lbs, and combined with the fact that its about as aerodynamic as a brick doesn't help either

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
+1

gears and I would assume if you geared it diffrent that it would have major traction issues with that much power. I think there are a few people that have gotten them into the high 9's with minor mods.
When you say "would have major traction issues" what do you mean?
Like it would damage the car?

So do you think just changing the gears make it at least be in the 10s?

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
It "only" has 285 tires on the rear, although the launch control helps to overcome that. Also as mentioned above it has long gearing, it can hit 60 mph in 1st gear.

You've also got to remember its just shy of 4000 lbs, and combined with the fact that its about as aerodynamic as a brick doesn't help either
So same question.
Tires and gears would get it in at least the 10s?

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas View Post

When you say "would have major traction issues" what do you mean?
Like it would damage the car?

So do you think just changing the gears make it at least be in the 10s?

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

So same question.
No I mean like if you put 4.10's you would have some bad *** wheel spin and lots of smoke but you would not go anywhere lol. It wouldn't hurt anything except your tires.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
By traction issues he means melting the tires instead of the car hoooking and launching down the track. Suspension and tire upgrades would be a must!
Bluesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
If they could start the tree while he was at 45 mph, then we would see its power.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnake View Post
By traction issues he means melting the tires instead of the car hoooking and launching down the track. Suspension and tire upgrades would be a must!
I am surprised that the suspension would need to be upgraded.
I am guessing the suspension is not something they upgrade when they go from the GT base to the GT500 (I am talking about "from factory" GT500)

Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
It's not stiff enough. It still has some give in it, ya know for the comfort end of the 70k
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

From what I can find online, it looks like the 13 Shelby is at 11.5s and the super snake is at 10.6s.

So I guess the answer to my original question is "Make it a Super Snake"

But no seriously, I find it interesting what would need to be done

Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

So same question.
This has all been done in the magazines, I'm pretty sure just slicks and skinnies got it into low 11's, but don't quote me on that

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
From what I can find online, it looks like the 13 Shelby is at 11.5s and the super snake is at 10.6s.

So I guess the answer to my original question is "Make it a Super Snake"

But no seriously, I find it interesting what would need to be done
From what I read in magazines from the factory, 11.8 to 12.0, there is a 11.6 with a real good driver a lot of seat time to get there.
SGTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
11s is plenty fast. It is as fast as most cars in it's power range are. They've already ran 10s on a tune and drag radials.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
11s is plenty fast. It is as fast as most cars in it's power range are. They've already ran 10s on a tune and drag radials.
It is FAST, I was just curious because you always hear about "10 second" cars, and often hear it from people talking about a Civic (ricers) and it just seemed odd to me that with how much power the Shelby has that it wouldnt be a "10 second car"

Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas

It is FAST, I was just curious because you always hear about "10 second" cars, and often hear it from people talking about a Civic (ricers) and it just seemed odd to me that with how much power the Shelby has that it wouldnt be a "10 second car"
There are very few 10 second civics...the difference between 10's and 11's is like the difference between 13's and 17's.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Shelby really doesn't have 'that much power'. It has plenty of power in terms of a street car.

Civics hit 10's easy because they are light and have a plethora of functional parts for them.

Now, at already low 13s, a civic becomes very difficult to DD in terms of driving aggressively on the street. My 2460 LB Celica blew the tires off on stock power (160whp 180 Crank), let alone a car that can hit 13s/12s/11s/10s.

The other problem is as you creep into 11s you need big power to shave off just a pinch of time.

Those 10 second civics are also lucky to have power windows, but your Shelby is drenched with many options and comforts.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
There are very few 10 second civics...the difference between 10's and 11's is like the difference between 13's and 17's.
I would not saw few. I would say there are no less or no more 10 second Civics than there are 10 second Mustangs.

Living in the East Coast, imports dominate everywhere (numbers wise).

ATCO Raceway is an official NHRA track and Honda Day is EVERY year the biggest even they have literally Dozens of 11/10/9 and 8 second Civics.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Check out this story that we did and you can get a better understanding of putting power to the ground:

2013 GT500 Breaks Into The 9’s Using Steeda Parts Steeda Blog

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Shelby really doesn't have 'that much power'. It has plenty of power in terms of a street car.

Civics hit 10's easy because they are light and have a plethora of functional parts for them.

Those 10 second civics are also lucky to have power windows, but your Shelby is drenched with many options and comforts.[COLOR="Silver"]

ATCO Raceway is an official NHRA track and Honda Day is EVERY year the biggest even they have literally Dozens of 11/10/9 and 8 second Civics.
Maybe it is just my bias...
It just feels WRONG to think of a Civic being faster then the Shelby (at least in the 1/4 mile. I doubt that those Civics can hit 200MPH, but then again, I dont know, maybe just my bias)

Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Check out this story that we did and you can get a better understanding of putting power to the ground:

2013 GT500 Breaks Into The 9’s Using Steeda Parts � Steeda Blog

Best Regards,

TJ
THAT IS AWESOME!

How much did the upgrades ending costing (the original, used to hit the high 9's)?

That answers my question as to what it would take to get into the 10's and more so!

Doesn't seem like all that much to get it there.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The parts were less than $2,000 and then the install price.

No ... you just need the right combination of power, suspension, and especially a driver that can handle the gas if you know what i mean.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe it is just my bias...
It just feels WRONG to think of a Civic being faster then the Shelby (at least in the 1/4 mile. I doubt that those Civics can hit 200MPH, but then again, I dont know, maybe just my bias)
Well, at their power levels 200MPH is easily met.

If it runs an 8 at 160+, 200 MPH would be a blink given enough track. That being said, You'd have a better chance to have a street driven 8 or 9 second GT500 ANYDAY versus any street driven 8 second civic. Just not really possible/practical.

When we talk heavily modified cars which barely resemble their original life, then any argument is valid, but when we talk bolt on power and even altered stock parts such as cams or heads, a Civic is immediately outclassed.

I judge cars based on their ability while running their stock engine without serious modifications. So, like yourself, An 11 Second GT500 is more impressive to me than an 8 second Civic.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You could make an 8 second minivan or a 8 second semi-truck with the right amount of money.

When you start talking highly modified cars the only real limit is $$$ if want to spend $600,000 on something I would imagine you can just say F u to whatever type of car it is lol

Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Any car can beat any car if you put enough money into it today. Horsepower is only a number, people today live by there hp number thinking they can beat another car cause they have 50, 100, 200 hp more then the other guy. weight, trans gearing, rear end gears, chassis setup, the right tires and driver are just as important as hp in 1/4 mile racing.
Has anyone on here taken there 2013 stock GT500 to the track to see what time they get.
SGTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
You could make an 8 second minivan or a 8 second semi-truck with the right amount of money.

When you start talking highly modified cars the only real limit is $$$ if want to spend $600,000 on something I would imagine you can just say F u to whatever type of car it is lol
Funny you say that because there IS an 8 second 88 Caravan with a TT 350Z engine lol

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Funny you say that because there IS an 8 second 88 Caravan with a TT 350Z engine lol
Hahaha I would drive the **** out of that.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
The parts were less than $2,000 and then the install price.

No ... you just need the right combination of power, suspension, and especially a driver that can handle the gas if you know what i mean.

Best Regards,

TJ
If you guys want a new project, you can Sponsor getting my 2013 V6 into the high 10's or even low 11's

Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

If you guys want a new project, you can Sponsor getting my 2013 V6 into the high 10's or even low 11's
Your dreaming...lol
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsdisciple85 View Post
Your dreaming...lol
In having it be a 11's or that they would sponsor?

the V6 (older model) has been made a 11s before.

As for the sponsoring... I know, but a guy can dream

Old 04-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsdisciple85 View Post
Your dreaming...lol
His dreaming what?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas

In having it be a 11's or that they would sponsor?

the V6 (older model) has been made a 11s before.

As for the sponsoring... I know, but a guy can dream
9's
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
9's
I wouldn't complain about making it a 9s

Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
No it's possible to make it in the 11s and even lower whats highly unlikely is the sponsorship...lol but good luck with that
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #34

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTman View Post
Has anyone on here taken there 2013 stock GT500 to the track to see what time they get.
Didn't use mine, but I saw a 2013 do 11.81 last night. Guy was a little rough on the start, but really kicked in after 1st gear.
4x4bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You need to think HP/weight. The jap cars can be fast with a lot less HP because they are lighter. Still, any 10 second jap car is heavily modded.
Jvos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang