Factory Tape Stripes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Factory Tape Stripes

Does anyone know how hard it is to remove the tape stripes from a MY 13? Or if you can find matching stripes if you were to replace the hood with a super snake one?
Jabooh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Had some tape damage repaired by a shop that does stripes. The guy doing the work fought with the factory stripes for 2 hours. The issue was the glue Ford uses. Based on my experience, leave the removal to the pros.....................good luck.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

I figured it would be a pain. I am looking for a sterling grey with tape delete in Houston but can only find them with black tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

Region: Connecticut
You can purchase any stripe color/set from the Ford dealership
Smokin_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I had a similar experience... Let the pros do it. I got half way done and just took it to a shop. Pita
Phillies4752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #6

The dealer I talked to yesterday said they would take the stripes off of any car I wanted for me.

That's probably the best.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Let us know cost will u? I'd like to know what they charge to do the stripes.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #8

Free of charge. But I asked prior to purchase.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Oh that's sweet! Was it included in the purchase of the stripe?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #10

I found one at a dealer with no ADM that had stripes. Indicated that I didn't want them and they said they would have them removed.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That's nice of them to take them off for free... I guess if it will sell the car it was worth it!
Phillies4752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I just got mine on Monday and I ordered it with no stripes but I contacted a shop here in Cincinnati that does stripes for most shops all over the US and they are not that costly. They are trying to find the charcoal stripe that is on the Boss LS to put on mine. I have the Ruby Red Metallic. But the car looks so nice with nothing on it I am not sure if I want a stripe or not. I think the Shelby stripes Would run less than $200
Cincy Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #13

Region: Canada
Mothers clay bar will tare the glue from the stripes right off your car trust me I accidentally did it to mine.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Ok new issue but still around the stripes! Mine are scratched like crazy had some nasty wax build up on them and frustration/stupidity took over and I used a kitchen scrubber sponge on it, it got rid of the wax ghosting but now it's just swirled with scratches. Any ideas? Take them off?? Can it be fixed? I really like the look of the matte black and the white but I'm not sure what to do
Jguida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I took my stripes off today only too 30 mins. It's an easy thing to do. As for putting them on maybe talk to the pros for that. The only hard part was the shelby lettering had to apply duct tape to them as I took the four letters off with a blow dryer and fishing like. So they all stayed in line and marked off where they matched up to the S and Y. Used some 3m emblem glue and bam it was all done in a hour.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I decided not to go with the stripes. The Ruby Red to me is sooo pretty I did not want to change anything.
I bought a super snake hood and I am having a very hard time matching the color without blending. I do not want to paint the fenders to blend. Does anyone have any ideas. My painter would love the input.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Well, in reality, I guess there are 2 options. Paint the fenders to blend and match or just paint the hood and hope it blends well. I would love to see it once its done tho.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

He has tried different paints but in different sun light it has an orange look. He is trying to get some suppliers to help with the color difference. Not an easy match. I will be glad to post some pictures when finished. I do have one that he sent when he was in the right light and it looks good from 20 or so feet. If I can figure out how to post it.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Ohhhh now I'm with u. So it an actual shade difference in the paint mix. I wonder if it is a brand issue? The only thing I have ever really dealt with is PPG.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I think the company that he works for does not us PPG but he has contacts that should be able to supply him with different paint samples.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3113056266.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	127465

I have attached a picture with hood on without the vents installed. Not sure if picture will come up when I post. If it doesn't please tell me how to do it. Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

It came up, if I get my phone to load it.

I'm sure the OE paint is PPG. I always went to Carquest that is a local dealer. Of course the mix in the end is up to the person controlling the handles but the guys I always use can mix paint and it be a perfect match. If u can get the color code, they will get u a chip there. They will check the mix before u leave.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

Oh man, even straining my eyes, it's hard to tell a difference in shade. I'm sure it's totally different in direct sunlight.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

When I saw it from this side I could hardly talk but like you said when I walked to the OTHER side it screamed orange. The painter friend was screaming also! . Is PPG the only paint that Ford uses. The one problem with this color is that it is a Tri coat paint system. Any thoughts I would be open to any help. Would that hood look better with the hood pins if I can get the color right?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

I'm sure PPG is all they use. It will actually say on the sticker on the drivers side door panel (at least it used to). The problem with tri-coats is there is an actual tint (paint) in the clear. That makes it "unprofitable" they actually use a machine to profit paint and do color matches.

It actually sounds like the problem is with the tint in the clear. It seems the base is right in the shade. Call the closest Carquest or the closest PPG dealer tomorrow and talk to them. U would be surprised how much the man mixing the paint knows and can tell u.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jguida View Post
Ok new issue but still around the stripes! Mine are scratched like crazy had some nasty wax build up on them and frustration/stupidity took over and I used a kitchen scrubber sponge on it, it got rid of the wax ghosting but now it's just swirled with scratches. Any ideas? Take them off?? Can it be fixed? I really like the look of the matte black and the white but I'm not sure what to do
Sorry I just saw this post. What type of wax are you using? I use a Jax Wax and do not get a build up on my car or along the edge of the stripes. They have a swirl remover also that works great for getting fine scratches out of your clear coat as well. All most all the products I have used from them work Great. Jax Wax Car Wax, Car Care, & Professional Detailing Products

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post

Sorry I just saw this post. What type of wax are you using? I use a Jax Wax and do not get a build up on my car or along the edge of the stripes. They have a swirl remover also that works great for getting fine scratches out of your clear coat as well. All most all the products I have used from them work Great. Jax Wax Car Wax, Car Care, & Professional Detailing Products
It was McGuire'a paste wax, some really good stuff but the issue was the sponge and detergent they suggested I used to get the was off ended up scratching the stripes beyond repair.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
I'm sure PPG is all they use. It will actually say on the sticker on the drivers side door panel (at least it used to). The problem with tri-coats is there is an actual tint (paint) in the clear. That makes it "unprofitable" they actually use a machine to profit paint and do color matches.

It actually sounds like the problem is with the tint in the clear. It seems the base is right in the shade. Call the closest Carquest or the closest PPG dealer tomorrow and talk to them. U would be surprised how much the man mixing the paint knows and can tell u.
The color code said RR on the door beam. I called THE paint store here in Cincy and they are going to see what they can do for me. So if I understand you correctly the clear has a tint in it. Does the painter mix that also or is that part premixed? What would make the orange pop out
Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

You are correct brother. The clear does have a tint in it. That is what they call a tri-coat system and it really gives the paint a deep, rich look that makes it pop. A base coat/clear coat system will simply be a base color (whether metallic, pearl. Or otherwise) with clear over it. Enamel paints, can be cleared over OR the color sanded and buffed (as long as its not candied, pearled, or metallic etc.).

U r correct again. The man behind the counter will be responsible for the mix. They will actually have a setup a lot like Walmart or lowes. If they nail the paint mix and they get it dead on, make sure u get a copy of the the mixing ratios and mixing. Most can print a sticker with it on it and will put it on the can. Make sure u save that for life, as u can take it in and have paint mixed from it.

It's just a total guess without seeing it but it sounds like the orange u see in the sun probably comes from the tint in the clear of the tri-coat clear. I could be wrong but in the pic u posted, I see the base actually matches pretty dang close.

Another issue is the blending of metallics. It can be hard to get the pattern right when trying to match from factory to painting it by hand. That's why most times, if its metallic, they will want to start at the fenders or doors to "blend" the metallic mix.

I honestly would drive my car to THE paint people there and first, let them fall in love with it, and second, establish communication with them. If they really are THE paint people, they will be able to help u in unreal amounts.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Sorry that post was so long but I had a couple more thoughts.

They actually do have some "premixed" colors you can buy. My guys have black (enamel) and blue. That I know of, they may have more.

For validities sake, we used DAR in the enamel and DBU in the base-coat/clear-coat system. Both have great benefits.

When I had my 97 cobra (tri-coat), before I knew it was tri-coat, I went and had them try to profit it, of course it wouldn't profit. I actually got those guys to pull the chip and match the base and mix me a pint of it for touch ups in enamel. Of course enamel was cheaper and it was a perfect match.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Sorry that post was so long but I had a couple more thoughts.

They actually do have some "premixed" colors you can buy. My guys have black (enamel) and blue. That I know of, they may have more.

For validities sake, we used DAR in the enamel and DBU in the base-coat/clear-coat system. Both have great benefits.

When I had my 97 cobra (tri-coat), before I knew it was tri-coat, I went and had them try to profit it, of course it wouldn't profit. I actually got those guys to pull the chip and match the base and mix me a pint of it for touch ups in enamel. Of course enamel was cheaper and it was a perfect match.
I want to thank you for ALL the help on this. I will take the car to them this weekend. David
Old 09-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Anytime brother. I am always here to help. I may not know the answers to everything but I try to help anytime I can.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

One day we will have to get the Shelby's together and let them play lol. I work in Frankfort ky and do a lot of traveling throughout the state. I'm up near Covington some.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I would love for our Shelby's to romp around. We were wanting to come down in your area and do the Bourbon Trail. I love Blanton's Whiskey but not very often. Lol when you get in this area call me and we can try to connect.
I went to THE paint shop today and bought the paint that should match. Famous last words! The shop is called OKI(Ohio,Ky.,Indy)they supply most of the paint shops in Cincy. I am going to meet with my friend and see if he can work his magic. Looking forward to meeting you sometime. David
Old 09-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Shoot yeah! My job is about 5 minutes from the jim beam plants lol. You can literally smell the whiskey mash. It's kinda disgusting in the mornings lol. That would be awesome. I don't drive my car to work that often because its so far from home but the next time I do, I'll let u know in advance.

Did THE paint guy get to see your car? He say what he thought might be the cause? Other than what we suspect?
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

He did see the car and of course he fell in love. He thought that the code would be a better match than scanning it because of the clear. We will see what happens. I am thinking about hood pins on it but not sure. What do you think?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

So they "scanned" straight over the paint before? With just a machine? My guys didn't have the capability to do that on a tri-coat. There is no doubt, the closest match will come from the paint code.

I like hood pins if they are functional. I think if they r not functional, they really shouldn't be there lol. Are u changing hoods?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

They did not scan at all. They first used the RR Code and it did not match so then he had other company's that he new send some paint and as far as I know still no match. Hope to talk to him today.
You are right the pins do need to be functional if they are on. If paint matches I will change out hoods. So I am hoping to be changing hoods.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang