Overdrive pulleys - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Overdrive pulleys

Has anyone know the props and cons of using the pulleys for the blower and one for the crank? I am thinking of putting them on a 2014 Shelby
Cincy Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Shelby View Post
Has anyone know the props and cons of using the pulleys for the blower and one for the crank? I am thinking of putting them on a 2014 Shelby
Upper pulley for stock blower.
Upper/lower for a ported blower

Nothing really bad you just overspin the charger creating more heat. And you can have belt slip. And you can snap the stock engine pulleys.

So you need the upper pulley, idler pulleys, new belt, and tune.
I recommend an exhaust system to help move the air out and a better air intake to bring air in faster and smoother.
Normally you can get away on the stock fuel system.
But most people go with a kenne belle boost a pump and a MAFia or SCT MAF.

This will void ur warranty.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have the 90mm idler pulley from VMP and the 2.50 S/C pulley. With my setup I have no slippage. You will of course have to tune your car, which as said earlier, will cause a void of warranty in some cases. Most dealerships will not allow changes to the computer. As a rule of thumb you can almost figure for every additional one pound of boost added, you will gain 10rwhp, give or take a little. I'm not sure the options available and sizes available for your car but it was well worth it for mine.

VMP's removal and installation tool is about as good as it gets. The tool allows you to remove the pulley (with the help of a friend) and install the new one easily. It's a wicked tool.

I did not upgrade any of the coolant system at this point. If I did the lower pulley, I would. Just make sure u read up because some or most require for you to grind the block to allow for the new pulley to fit in place.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have decided not to go with the lower pulley for now. I am going with a 2.396 upper pulley and the 90 idle pulley. I am still using the 65mm throttle body and the JLT CAI with a tune. What type of power should I end up with do you all think?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have decided not to go with the lower pulley for now. I am going with a 2.396 upper pulley and the 90 idle pulley. I am still using the 65mm throttle body and the JLT CAI with a tune. What type of power should I end up with do you all think?
How much boost will that increase to?
15-16?
With boost you are looking at 10rwhp/lb of boost.
With a tune probably 11-12
So you could net 60-75rwhp if not more.
A port on the blower really helps.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

His estimates could very realistically be correct.

Then sir, you will need pure concrete in the trunk to hold u to the road lol.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I just had the car dynoed for a base pull and it showed 602hp and 588 torque. You can see the run at Cincy Speed on FaceBook. I will have them add the 65mm throttle body,JLT cai and of course a dyno tune. That should be done on Friday. So they should post it the same day. Let me know what you think?

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

I forgot the I am also having them add a 2.396 SC pulley
Old 12-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Any updates?
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

We should have an update around 2-3 today. Let's keep our fingers cross for some strong pulls. I have no idea what I will end up with
Old 12-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

What about now? Lol. Updates now?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I got the final report on my Ruby and she ended up with 667.61 at the wheels and 581.87 torque. You can look at the dyno sheet at Cincy Speed Shop on FB if you are interested. I am very happy with all that I have had done. I am finished with the HP gain. Now I just need to learn how to keep all that on the ground. I will be smiling as I learn. )
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Lol. Congrats brother. That's awesome!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you now I just need together the hood to match and life would be great
Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

There is a guy in Louisville that is supposed to be great. I will get his name and let u know. It would be worth a shot.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I got the final report on my Ruby and she ended up with 667.61 at the wheels and 581.87 torque. You can look at the dyno sheet at Cincy Speed Shop on FB if you are interested. I am very happy with all that I have had done. I am finished with the HP gain. Now I just need to learn how to keep all that on the ground. I will be smiling as I learn. )
Who did your tune? Your torque number seems really low. I used same pulley with stock air box with a cobra jet TB and ended up with this on my 13 with very similar stock numbers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1389148310.789843.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	144055
Depwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It was done at Cincy Speed Shop here in Cincinnati. I am not sure why the torque would be different. You can see the dyno sheet at their FB site. If you can inform me about the torque difference I would appreciate very much. My question is why would it be so different? I am all ears on this
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It was done at Cincy Speed Shop here in Cincinnati. I am not sure why the torque would be different. You can see the dyno sheet at their FB site. If you can inform me about the torque difference I would appreciate very much. My question is why would it be so different? I am all ears on this
The Stock TB may not be allowing as much air as his after market one, meaning the timing couldn't be bumped up as much.
Less air=less fuel=less timing=less power.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Overdrive pulleys

I have the 65mm tb from ford racing. It is the single throat so I should be able to adjust it. I have a 123 JLT CAI and a 2.396 sc pulley
Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have the 65mm tb from ford racing. It is the single throat so I should be able to adjust it. I have a 123 JLT CAI and a 2.396 sc pulley
Gotcha, didn't see that in the original post.
I believe the cobra jet TB tho is huge.
Which could be reasons why he makes more power.
And his tune maybe more aggressive
Old 01-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
Gotcha, didn't see that in the original post.
I believe the cobra jet TB tho is huge.
Which could be reasons why he makes more power.
And his tune maybe more aggressive

Mine is the 65mm TB as well and as you noticed I'm running the stock air box. It's definitely in the tune and believe it or not, I actually have a pretty conservative tune. I'm guessing that your tuner just isn't familiar with these cars. If you check around you'll see that my numbers are pretty standard for our mods, maybe even low because of how conservative my tune is.

My advice is to maybe give VMP a call and talk to them about getting a tune, it's a shame to spend that money on these mods and be leaving so much torque on the table.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I will talk to them today and see what they can tell me
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to my tuner today and he said that looking at your dyno sheet that they might have leaned it out to get those numbers. He was not sure why your curve was not smooth. He said we could reach a higher number if I wanted to have him lean it. He said it is better for the engine to not have it too lean. I for one need to learn how to keep the tires on the ground and not going sideways at half throttle. So I think I will just be happy with what I have and enjoy it. One question that I do have is how do we keep the power and the tires to be happy with each other. I love the fact that you can break the tires lose at most speeds but when you are running against another car that is not good. Any input would be great. Thank you,David
Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Just is definitely who I would call. He is a great guy. His 07 only makes 816.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry your guy thinks it's lean or not smooth, but I can assure you that after 15,000 very hard miles I've had no lean conditions ever and it runs perfectly (that dyno was done on an 80+ day too). He simply isn't familiar with these cars. Justin at VMP is one of the best in the country and my tune is very conservative...all you have to do is check around. I've seen very safe email tunes from other tuners as well that all made better numbers than your dyno tune; but hey it's your money and if you're happy that's what matters.

As for tires, I have the MPSS in a 295 on the back and while better than the stock goodyears, they still spin at will. Lo have MT drag radials 295/55/15 that hook pretty decent and a buddy with similar power swears by toyo r888's.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Overdrive pulleys

It does seem like your tune is very good. I think I should call VMP to see what they can do for me. Will it be one that I can download into the SCT? I would differently like to get any power that is laying around and put it to good use. I do appreciate all the in put on this issue. How would one know what type of tune you have(mild or not so mild) do they ask you what you want?
As far as tires go I was hoping to find a 18 inch rim to match the AMR wheels from American Muscle that I just put on. 19's all around with Mickey Thompson tires. I want to try and have it as a daily driver in the summer. Thanks again
One more thing what is the MPSS tires ? This (performance car) is new to me.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Do I need to call VMP and ask for Justin?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It does seem like your tune is very good. I think I should call VMP to see what they can do for me. Will it be one that I can download into the SCT? I would differently like to get any power that is laying around and put it to good use. I do appreciate all the in put on this issue. How would one know what type of tune you have(mild or not so mild) do they ask you what you want?
As far as tires go I was hoping to find a 18 inch rim to match the AMR wheels from American Muscle that I just put on. 19's all around with Mickey Thompson tires. I want to try and have it as a daily driver in the summer. Thanks again
One more thing what is the MPSS tires ? This (performance car) is new to me.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Do I need to call VMP and ask for Justin?

Yeah, when we were doing my tune I asked Justin to stay on the conservative side as mine was one of the first cars done and only had 700 miles on the car.

Yes, you should be able to just upload it to your SCT and then download into car.

Justin stays pretty busy, but Has a great staff including BJ. When/if you call, let Justin know that Jim Tanner recommended them.

Let me know if you need anything else, these cars are great!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

I emailed justin when I bought some parts from them. He emailed me right back even though he was at an event. We communicated for a couple of hours until everything was right. If you have any doubts, get the tune from VMP and just take it back to the guy in Cincinnati for a dyno. I was up there this week in Covington lol. Not in my car but will be back next week.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Wife will be out of town leaving Saturday if you want to meet. I would enjoy it.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Jim,I appreciate the help. I will give him a call on Saturday. The tuner said that on the 14's they have more programs. The 13's go up to 13 and the 14's go up to 20. Not quite sure what that means. Any help would be appreciated

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

When will you be in Cincy again week day or weekend?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Jim,I appreciate the help. I will give him a call on Saturday. The tuner said that on the 14's they have more programs. The 13's go up to 13 and the 14's go up to 20. Not quite sure what that means. Any help would be appreciated

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

When will you be in Cincy again week day or weekend?

13's and 14's are exactly the same as far as I know with only changes being available colors.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

I will be up there Monday night through wednesday in Campbell Co schools. I wasn't gonna drive my car but might could talk the wife into letting me drive it lol.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

It could be a good time had by all. Lol
Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depwraith View Post
13's and 14's are exactly the same as far as I know with only changes being available colors.

I will need to check and see from SVT to see if there is a difference
Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Lol. Yes it will. Did you call justin?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I will be calling him today or I noticed that there is a form to fill out on line. I think it is better to tLk to him than an email. It they may prefer the email. What do you think?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang