Advice for a first time shelby owner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Advice for a first time shelby owner

Well I finally went through with it. I traded in my 2013 grabber blue gt premium for a 2014 gray shelby gt500. This was a big purchase for me and I was nervous about it the whole way. The dealer and I agreed to let me keep the car at the lot until next weekend because it was pouring rain today and even the test drive in the lot was somewhat unenjoyable as the tires kept spinning because of the rain.

Regardless I'm literally counting down the days when I pick up my car and I figured I come on here to share the news that I finally got my dream car.

Any advice for a young kid with a shelby? I'll take it all. Maintenance, general safety, and do's and dont's.
Seebz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Congrats on the new ride, and welcome...
My advice is take your time and get used to the power before jumping on that gas pedal. I sold my 2011 Kona blue GT 1st of October and bought my Shelby November 14th.
I am still trying to get used to the difference and it is my daily driver when temps are above 40. Here in Texas that is most of the time.
Even on dry streets, those tires will break loose in 2nd real quick, and sometimes even in 3rd.

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Welcome to the site and great upgrade!

The 5.0s are plenty powerful but nothing like a Shelby.

I went from a v6 to an 03 cobra, a very big switch for me, and I am young myself(19).

I didn't put the pedal to the floor until I was extremely comfortable with the car, and it still scares me today knowing I'm way over the speed limit at the end of 2nd gear at WOT.

Best advice I could give you:
1. Learn to drive it till you're comfortable
2. Have fun, and have fun catching traction
3. Be safe
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Good luck with the new ride.
You have a week to wait...............read the books that come with the car.
The stock tires are junk, unless it's 80* out. ( even then you can get in trouble )
Find a large empty parking lot to practice in.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys...I don't mean to sound like a wuss but when I was very excited to test drive it. I thought no big deal my 5.0 has 420 hp how much different can it be lol. Well I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little intimidated by it.

Wish I brought the manual home but oh well I'll just google it and read it online.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The best advice is to get new tires right away. That will make your car much easier to drive. If you think it's hard to drive now, wait until the break-in period is over and ALL the power is available!

We bought Continental DWS for all-season tires for our 13 GT500 & they work great in rain & standing water. When we put the Alcoa wheels on, we bought Nitto Invos. The Invos are good rain tires & have more dry traction than the Goodyear tires.

I know, you just spent $60K on a car & now you have to spend another G on tires? Do it. You won't be sorry. Do some tire research to figure out what will be the best tires for your area's temp / precipitation. When our Invos are roasted, Ill probably switch to Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Oh, BTW, congrats on the new car. It's the baddest *** street Mustang ever built! Just like there was a big jump in performance from a Mustang GT to a Terminator Cobra, there's an even bigger jump from GT to GT500!

Even Termi Cobra guys in our club are surprised at how big a jump there is between the Termi & the 13/14 GT500.

And one more small bit of advice... when you are getting on this beast, shifting from 1st to second @ 80mph, the rear tires will break loose even with the traction control on. Be careful!

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I will ask a different question. Do you have another DD if so you are lucky enough to not have to put your new car in all the salt and crap on the roads.

I got mine Jan 4th 2013 in OH I had to use it as a DD for almost two months. I was lucky my wife works nights so on really bad days I could take her car. As stated before the GY tires are crap below 55* you slide around corners even if you take it slow. They slide on slightly wet pavement. I would say the next two days is the time to get it home even if it is raining because it is winter and the weather changes pretty fast. Drive it easy don't wind her up yet and it will be fine.

When I got mine home in Jan I was not impressed with it because it just handled like crap. After I parked it and waited until it was over 55* it acted like a completely different car and I enjoyed driving it.

Congrats on the New Shelby

For the books on it register at https://owner.ford.com and www.syncmyride.com

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
I will ask a different question. Do you have another DD if so you are lucky enough to not have to put your new car in all the salt and crap on the roads. I got mine Jan 4th 2013 in OH I had to use it as a DD for almost two months. I was lucky my wife works nights so on really bad days I could take her car. As stated before the GY tires are crap below 55* you slide around corners even if you take it slow. They slide on slightly wet pavement. I would say the next two days is the time to get it home even if it is raining because it is winter and the weather changes pretty fast. Drive it easy don't wind her up yet and it will be fine. When I got mine home in Jan I was not impressed with it because it just handled like crap. After I parked it and waited until it was over 55* it acted like a completely different car and I enjoyed driving it. Congrats on the New Shelby For the books on it register at https://owner.ford.com and www.syncmyride.com
Yes I have a Pontiac sunfire as a DD. I only intend on driving my shelby in warm weather and keeping it in the garage any other time. Thanks for the advice it's good to hear all these opinions so I know what to expect. I know it sounds corny but I'm a 25 year old kid who doesn't have much experience with supercharged cars. I want to take the mature route and do the research and get people's advice.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
I bought my 2014 in November. It's in Ohio and I'm in Alaska. I won't get to see it until the end of March when I fly down to take delivery. Based on all the advise here, I am having the Michelin Pilot Super Sports put on this week. Anyone need a set of Goodyears?

I too am new to superchargers and will have about 5000 miles learn on. That said, I am not new to powerful modes of transportation. My daily driver during the summer puts out 1250 HP.

Big Blue 1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Blue 1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	144419  
Deeperyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seebz13 View Post
Well I finally went through with it. I traded in my 2013 grabber blue gt premium for a 2014 gray shelby gt500. This was a big purchase for me and I was nervous about it the whole way. The dealer and I agreed to let me keep the car at the lot until next weekend because it was pouring rain today and even the test drive in the lot was somewhat unenjoyable as the tires kept spinning because of the rain.

Regardless I'm literally counting down the days when I pick up my car and I figured I come on here to share the news that I finally got my dream car.

Any advice for a young kid with a shelby? I'll take it all. Maintenance, general safety, and do's and dont's.

As for better tires since you paid so much already. Congrats on the car.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What's the usual break in period 500 miles?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's the usual break in period 500 miles?
I did 1000 miles because it was 700 in really cold weather so I wanted to make sure it was alright before I started running it out. Did you get the car home pictures would be nice.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did 1000 miles because it was 700 in really cold weather so I wanted to make sure it was alright before I started running it out. Did you get the car home pictures would be nice.
Unfortunately it is still at the dealership. I am in the middle of busy season in my department and taking off to pick up a car I bought wouldn't exactly go over well. I don't want to rock the boat especially since I just bought this beast. I pick her up on Saturday or possibly Friday if we finish our workload by thursday....fingers crossed

I will take pictures ASAP. I figured the break in period would be about that as well. Didn't plan on getting on her until I comfortable which should be around the same time I finish the break in period.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Unfortunately it is still at the dealership. I am in the middle of busy season in my department and taking off to pick up a car I bought wouldn't exactly go over well. I don't want to rock the boat especially since I just bought this beast. I pick her up on Saturday or possibly Friday if we finish our workload by thursday....fingers crossed

I will take pictures ASAP. I figured the break in period would be about that as well. Didn't plan on getting on her until I comfortable which should be around the same time I finish the break in period.
I understand I am glad the dealer is letting you store it there.

As for the break in anything over 500 mile is gravy. I would say once you feel comfortable with it, it will surprise you again. I have to say I have around 7K on mine right now and it still surprises me on what it will do. Gota love pure power

Old 01-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Welcome to the club. I bought mine in October I'm just rolled over 1000 miles on it. The tires sucked! I'm not sure why Ford put those on there in the first place but let me tell you that car will slide out from under you in a heartbeat. Be easy on the throttle and learn how to drive it properly. The clutch is a little bit different than the GT. Try not to pop the clutch as you will go sideways very quickly.
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious_rob View Post
Welcome to the club. I bought mine in October I'm just rolled over 1000 miles on it. The tires sucked! I'm not sure why Ford put those on there in the first place but let me tell you that car will slide out from under you in a heartbeat. Be easy on the throttle and learn how to drive it properly. The clutch is a little bit different than the GT. Try not to pop the clutch as you will go sideways very quickly.
Yea I noticed the clutch had a similiar feel to my 2010 Challenger. Makes sense as they have the same transmission. But you're right it slid all over the place in the rain.

I actually had a holy **** moment because when I was easing off the clutch the engine was loud and I was like holy **** looked at RPMs and was only at 1,600 or so. That was when I realized I better keep the rpms as low as possible before on 1st gear starts. I'm thinking like 1,100 rpms. The sound is ridiculous. Clutch is tight but I figured that will get better after broken in.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Have those holy **** moments almost every time i drive it lol
Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

This might be a stupid question but oh well. Do local Ford dealerships offer better tires if I ask for an upgrade? Or do I need to order myself and just have them install it?
Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I would just run the GY tires in fact I am. I really can't afford to take off perfectly good rubber. Now I might help them go bad a little sooner.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Couldn't wait any longer!!! Picked her up today and it was so much fun to drive. The hardest adjustment is the friction point of the clutch compared to my GT. I didn't stall but I had a few jumpy starts. All that will be taken care of with practice.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Couldn't wait any longer!!! Picked her up today and it was so much fun to drive. The hardest adjustment is the friction point of the clutch compared to my GT. I didn't stall but I had a few jumpy starts. All that will be taken care of with practice.
I was stalling mine a lot when I first got it. I was trying to be easy on it cause I leave for work at 4:30AM or so and I didn't want to bother my neighbors. After a few days I figured out to just go with it and not to be so easy on it cause it just don't like that.

Pictures Pictures or it didn't happen

Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was stalling mine a lot when I first got it. I was trying to be easy on it cause I leave for work at 4:30AM or so and I didn't want to bother my neighbors. After a few days I figured out to just go with it and not to be so easy on it cause it just don't like that.

Pictures Pictures or it didn't happen
This was the only one I took last night. It was late by the time I got home. Will take some more in the light. Have to be careful though. I don't really want my family and friends to know I have this yet. I mean I didn't even have the GT for a full year. But non Shelby people just don't understand. This could have been the last model year the car actually looks as amazing as this. Had to make my move.

Oh and btw I noticed a scuff mark on the black stripe and I tried to do a quick wipe off with sleeve but just smudged it. Is there a certain way to wash or clean that out of the vinyl stripes?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry here is the picture don't know why it didn't attach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	705.9 KB
ID:	144811  
Old 01-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This was the only one I took last night. It was late by the time I got home. Will take some more in the light. Have to be careful though. I don't really want my family and friends to know I have this yet. I mean I didn't even have the GT for a full year. But non Shelby people just don't understand. This could have been the last model year the car actually looks as amazing as this. Had to make my move.

Oh and btw I noticed a scuff mark on the black stripe and I tried to do a quick wipe off with sleeve but just smudged it. Is there a certain way to wash or clean that out of the vinyl stripes?
I use Jax Wax products to detail my car. The vinyl stripes on mine are glossy so the clean with just some soap and water. I also use detail spray wax to get off little spots. Just don't use a sponge on it. Get a Grit guard and a Wool mitt to was her. Thee one I have only washes the Shelby my other cars get hit with a sponge.

Love the Spy Shot of the car looks good

Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man! Can't wait to take it for a cruise. I'll try somethings out for stripes as I have the matte finish ones so I guess it can just wipe it out.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

All this talk about taking it easy cause the car is too powerful...screw that floor that snake lol

Nothing like a standing burnout on dry surface in the middle of the summer...lol

If you have a daily then don't waste money on normal street tires get some Mickey Thompson drag radials....I have had them about a year and they are great (suck in the rain have to go like 45 or less) now I just spin a little but I can take off without leaving smoke behind lol
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsdisciple85 View Post
All this talk about taking it easy cause the car is too powerful...screw that floor that snake lol Nothing like a standing burnout on dry surface in the middle of the summer...lol If you have a daily then don't waste money on normal street tires get some Mickey Thompson drag radials....I have had them about a year and they are great (suck in the rain have to go like 45 or less) now I just spin a little but I can take off without leaving smoke behind lol
Lol I got used to it pretty quick and I took her out and had some fun))). Was about 45 degrees but had to take her back closer to dark don't want to drive under 40 plus parents were stopping by and I'm not ready to tell them lol. As far as they know it's my grabber blue gt under that cover molded like a mustang in the garage )

I'll look into tires but have to wait and pay off credit card first.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
[QUOT E=Seebz13;1922385]Well I finally went through with it. I traded in my 2013 grabber blue gt premium for a 2014 gray shelby gt500. This was a big purchase for me and I was nervous about it the whole way. The dealer and I agreed to let me keep the car at the lot until next weekend because it was pouring rain today and even the test drive in the lot was somewhat unenjoyable as the tires kept spinning because of the rain.

Any advice for a young kid with a shelby? I'll take it all. Maintenance, general safety, and do's and dont's.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind me asking. What's your line of work were u could afford one of these beasts
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1994 View Post
[QUOT E=Seebz13;1922385]Well I finally went through with it. I traded in my 2013 grabber blue gt premium for a 2014 gray shelby gt500. This was a big purchase for me and I was nervous about it the whole way. The dealer and I agreed to let me keep the car at the lot until next weekend because it was pouring rain today and even the test drive in the lot was somewhat unenjoyable as the tires kept spinning because of the rain.

If you don't mind me asking. What's your line of work were u could afford one of these beasts[/QUOTE]

Hea a pimp lol
Old 01-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a senior tax accountant in a corporate tax department. I was fortunate enough to have most of my college paid for by scholarship so I don't have student loans to worry about. So I bog myself down with car payments

And Notorious_Rob yes I pimp on the side lol.....rollin out b***hes in the Shelby
Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm a senior tax accountant in a corporate tax department. I was fortunate enough to have most of my college paid for by scholarship so I don't have student loans to worry about. So I bog myself down with car payments

And Notorious_Rob yes I pimp on the side lol.....rollin out b***hes in the Shelby
where do I sign up at?
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2012 and I went to Mich pilot as3 sports (I think that's what they are called). Very happy with them
RCcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCcarlson View Post
I have a 2012 and I went to Mich pilot as3 sports (I think that's what they are called). Very happy with them

+1 on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3...huge difference from GY tires. Much better traction in all weather conditions.
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang