First Time GT500 Owner -- Tire Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #1

First Time GT500 Owner -- Tire Question

Hi Everyone,

I learned a lot from a previous poster question about being a first time owner. I will pick up a Ruby Red with stripes in mid-May.

One of the big items was that one of the first things I need to do is replace the factory tires. I will probably go with the Michelin Pilots. I live up in New Hampshire, so cold mornings and evenings are highly likely.

The question I have is whether you believe it is worth it to try and sell the original tires. I should have less than 100 miles on the factory tires.

Any other tips are also welcome!! Thanks in advance for your help!!
LewieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

Sorry. New to the board and probably posted this in the wrong section...
Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewieE View Post
Hi Everyone,

I learned a lot from a previous poster question about being a first time owner. I will pick up a Ruby Red with stripes in mid-May.

One of the big items was that one of the first things I need to do is replace the factory tires. I will probably go with the Michelin Pilots. I live up in New Hampshire, so cold mornings and evenings are highly likely.

The question I have is whether you believe it is worth it to try and sell the original tires. I should have less than 100 miles on the factory tires.

Any other tips are also welcome!! Thanks in advance for your help!!
Welcome to the club. I am in Ohio and I am still using the factory GY tires. Yes they are slick as heck when it is cold out. I ran mine last year when I got it in Jan and Feb until I got a winter beater. I will most likely get a set of MPSS but right now I will run the GYs until they are true slicks then burn them out. If you take your time and not hot rod it in the cool weather you will be fine. Save your money for a really cool mod.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The factory tires are a weak point for sure & your choice for replacements is a good one. I don't remember which site it was, maybe SVTP, but a member there uses the stock tires for road racing. He claims they are very good once you heat the hell out of them.
I've also seen a thread asking to buy stock factory take-offs.
So to answer your question, yes, there are buyers for the factory rubber.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

Mlarv5 and 1 Alibi 2, thank you both for your comments. I can't wait to pick up the car and will definitely have to take my time getting used to it. It is a huge upgrade from my 2007 Mustang GT with an auto transmission!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewieE View Post
Mlarv5 and 1 Alibi 2, thank you both for your comments. I can't wait to pick up the car and will definitely have to take my time getting used to it. It is a huge upgrade from my 2007 Mustang GT with an auto transmission!
I know it will be a big upgrade. Just take your time and get used to it then away ya go.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Congratulations and welcome. I too am a new GT500 owner. Actually bought mine last November and will finally get to see it next week. Based on the stories I read and the recommendations of other forum members, I replaced the factory Goodyears with Michelin Pilot Super Sports before it was ever loaded into the transport to the west coast.
Deeperyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lewie,

I think it really depends on how you plan to use your new Hotrod. I bought my 14 GT500 in November and have driven it every day since, except when we had snow or ice on the ground. Here in Texas, that has only been a few times. Because this is my DD, I put some all season radials on her. I bought Shelby CS1 wheels and had Nitto Motivo's mounted. 315's in the back. I love them. A friend at work bought one the same time I did and he put MPS A/S on his and he loves those.
For someone that plans to just drive on weekends, or in warm sunny weather, I think the GY's are great. This winter we had quite a few days in the 70's and 80's before I put the new tires on, and the GY's were fine, but when it was below 70, I really babied her.
Hope this helps. Congrats on the ride and welcome to the club. And pics of new GT500's never gets old here, post some up when you pick it up.

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
We pulled our original tires & put Conti DWS on the stock rims. We have Nitto Invos on our 20" Alcoas. We're going to keep the Goodyears in case we sell the car in the future. There is some value in having the original tires 20 years down the road when trying to sell a classic car.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Welcome to the family. These guys have and will continue to give you great advice and you posted in the right section! Congrats!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the advice (and continued advice is welcome). I am leaning toward the Michelin Pilot A/S 3, but the service manager at the dealer thinks I'll like the Super Sports better.

I don't see myself taking it to the track, but you never know. And while I won't drive it in the NH winters, I will take it out once the snow and salt disappears from the road, but may still have cold mornings and nights. Example--today it's a nice weather day with high's in high 50s, but this morning when I headed to work it was 27. That's what concerns me about the Super Sports "Summer" tire.

The car is waiting for me at the dealer, but waiting to close on the house first, hence the painful wait until mid-May to pick it up. I will post pics once I get it!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I love both the DWS & the Invos for our car. However, the next tires we buy will be the MPSS.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Lots of good press on them and I figure for my driving, they will be more than enough plus give me the confidence on the cool mornings and evenings.

Only about 3 1/2 weeks away from picking it up! Can't wait. Now I have to scope out a big open parking lot to get a little practive behind the wheel!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

First Time GT500 Owner -- Tire Question

The next 3 1/2 weeks will be the longest you have experienced in a while. Finally got to sit in mine last week, after waiting six months. Have put over 700 miles on it in the last week, and about a thousand miles to go before heading back to Alaska. As mentioned earlier, I had the MPSS put on before it was shipped to the west coast. Can't compare them to the Goodyears, but definitely like the Michelans. Enjoy you car, I know I'm happy with mine.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397495252.457992.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	667.1 KB
ID:	153936
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #15

Deeperyet, That sure looks like a nice ride!! Mine is almost like that but without the louvers on the rear window. I'm having the dealer install the MPS A/S3 as well, so I won't have the GY experience either. I am trying to come up with every way possible to take possession sooner...haven't given up yet!!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #16

Region: Wisconsin
Which tires are you replacing? The Goodyear F1 or the Goodyear G2's. 19" or 19/20" wheels?
SVTPP4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTPP4ME View Post
Which tires are you replacing? The Goodyear F1 or the Goodyear G2's. 19" or 19/20" wheels?

Not sure which ones they are...stock on the 2014 with Track Package and it is both the 19" fronts and 20" rears.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The F1's are stock on the 2014.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
From experience the Michelin A/S 3 is head and shoulders above the oe tires...when it comes to daily fun driving. Quieter ride, better grip and great feel...if you want to track your car in warmer weather, then the oe tires are great.
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang