Security System for 2014 GT500??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Security System for 2014 GT500???

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed and re-discussed, but it has left me more than a little confused about the best way to move forward. Questions will be at the bottom. Also, I will probably post this on a couple of boards, so I apologize if you see this more than once. I also recognize that if a professional car thief wants the car, they are going to get it, so I am trying to protect against mid-level and lower thieves...something to make it not worth their while to attempt.

As I am less than three weeks from taking delivery of my 2014 Ruby Red GT500, I know that I want more that the passive system that is standard on the 2014 GT500, but don't know which way to go. I was leaning toward the Ravelco, and haven't completely ruled it out, but after reading a lot of posts, I believe I need an active anti-theft system.

1. Ford offers an active anti-theft system for $208 plus dealer installation. Does anyone have any experience with that alarm? Does it offer the same features as the security system upgrade on the GT (e.g. Tilt sensor, backup sensor)? It uses a factory wiring harness and keeps all warranties in tact, but how easily is it defeated?
2. I've read a lot about the Viper alarm. I haven't priced it yet, but it seems like from other posts that it is very expensive and dependent on finding a quality installer. How does it compare to the Ford system? Is it worth the extra cost?
3. Finally, lots of good press on the Ravelco, but most installers (from what I've read), consider it an overpriced kill switch. Any other first hand experience here? I may want to use this as a second layer, but if that's the case, then another hidden kill switch may be a moore cost effective means to do this.

By the way, I don't want to make it so difficult for me to start my own car that I leave these protections disabled.

As I am looking at insurance, I did find out that the theft rates for the GT500 are very low. I'm not sure if that's because most GT500 owners invest in quality anti-theft systems or if they are just too hard to turnover.

Again, apologies for bring the dead horse back to the race, but I could really use some advice.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

LewieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
I have a viper smart start with all the sensors and I love it !!! Though the big problem is a good installer ... Find a good one ... If not you will be running back and forth a lot !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

kapilkirpekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Ohio
You can run a kill switch like I have, just on the fuel pump. Unless they find the switch, no fuel pumps. They'll need to pop the hood, go to the fuse box, and hope they have the right fuse. Definitely not fool proof, but for <10 bucks, definitely the best bargain for the level of security. Kill switch can be wherever you want, under seat, in glove box or center console. Just make sure it isn't somewhere it will be accidentally tripped.

If you make it easily accessible, you can EOC, too, and start boosting that mileage

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Armed marine

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Jvos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang