Gt500, roush, or mod a 5.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Gt500, roush, or mod a 5.0?

Sorry, I did not know where to put this. I would like to know what you guys would do. When I get my 13 gt payed off, I would like to buy another used mustang for me and my wife would have the 13. Since I am going used (Couldn't imagine paying $75,000 on a car), would it be best to get a used gt500, a roush or just mod a 5.0? I was always a Camaro man all my life until the new ones. I test drove one of the 2012 Camaros and it was weak, then I drove the 5.0 and was in love so now I am a mustang guy. Although I would love a super snake, I would not be able to afford one, especially a new one. I'm thinking of buying a 13-14 Gt and just supercharging it and doing suspension. That would be a LOT cheaper and enough power for me. But, I could only imagine the joy of owning a roush or Shelby. My car wont be payed off until 2016 so I have a lot of time to think about it. I know this is a stupid topic but I have been thinking about it for a couple months now and I just love the 13-14 mustangs.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I guess it depends on your use of it. Is it going to be a DD or take to show car or garage queen. Also where you live. I live in snow country so my GT500 is not on the road at least 4 months a year. With a heavy rain it stays parked as well mostly due to tires. I love my Shelby and would not trade it for anything right now. If I was needing as a DD all winter then I would get a GT

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #3

Region: Texas
To me this is not a stupid topic as I joined this forum specifically for this research. Living in Texas I may have a slightly ability for a dd as it really does not snow, we do get ice from time to time. But we have mild winters by any account and I have driven a vette as a dd in the past. I also am interested in dd capabilities, among a lot of other things, between the GT and the Shelby. So any and all opinions or history by those that have these cars is of great interest and appreciated .

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
bhoch03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not saying it is a stupid topic just need more info. There are a lot of folks in TX that use the Shelby's as a DD. I wish I could all year round. The trick will be if you can find one for sale in a few years. A GT will be easier to find then a Shelby or Roush the down fall of a Shelby is the tires if you stick with stock or go MPSS they are basically summer slicks. I would go for a Shelby myself.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #5

Thanks Mlarv5. Good info. I do see a few gt500 around here. A lot of GTs though.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
bhoch03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Thanks mlarv5. I would use the car daily except for winter. I have several cars including a Subaru svx and jeep grand Cherokee we use in winter. I definitely don't need 700 horsepower either but I am not intimidated by it. I have had high horsepower cars and respect them. When I was younger, a GT500 would have gotten me killed with a week. Now at 42 I have settled down a lot in the last 10 years and its more about knowing you have the power if you want it and knowing you have the track capabilities. The stock GT has plenty of power actually but I am just drawn to having that specialty car or Make my own. Our roads here do have a lot of pot holes but if you watch what you are doing that's not a problem.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Aluminator has a slick car for sale. Might you enjoy a Boss more?

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I think out of the cars you mentioned, there is no wrong choice. They would all be fun to own and drive. I had a 2011 5.0 for 3 years and loved driving it every day. Had lots of fun with the mods too. Seemed like every couple months I was adding a little something. Even little things like a shorty antenna or hood struts was a fun mod to me.. I absolutely loved that car and would still have it today had I not gotten rear ended. After it was repaired, I Sold her Sep of last year.

I now DD a 2014 Shelby GT500 I bought in Nov. This car is a Monster right off the show room floor. I have not added any power mods yet and probably wont for a couple more years. I have had some fun making minnow mods like shorty antenna, hood struts, wheels & tires, interior, etc. From what I have read, a few simple bolt ons and a good tune will put me about 700 at the wheels..

So like I said, between the 3, i don't think there is a wrong answer. They will all be fun. I am jealous that you will have 2 mustangs in your garage.

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
A Roush is a GT with mods, a fact that becomes all too clear @ trade-in time.
If your budget will support it, a GT500 is a nice car to have.
By 2016, prices will come down & there will be more used cars in the pool......Good luck on your decision !

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I would buy a GT and get it exactly how you want it! But its all budget. If you can afford the GT500 and customize it some still then that is even better. Not a huge fan of the Roush looks.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've always looked at it like this, although the 3 have some distinctive differences there all essentially the same car. Some guys like the Shelby or Roush name, style and performance that it comes with from the factory. Although I think if you got a GT you could make it perform just as well if not better then both for a lot cheaper. So its really in what you want and if having that Shelby or Roush name is that important to you.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Get both

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408327604940.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	163716  
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
With the Forged Ford Racing block option through Roush you can run 700hp+ with no worries.

FYI...My car is for sale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latest side view.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	163737  
Aluminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen '11 and '12 GT500s for sale at good prices. 540 hp from factory is nothing to sneeze at.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctr154 View Post
I've seen '11 and '12 GT500s for sale at good prices. 540 hp from factory is nothing to sneeze at.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yea it is. Bc they are slow as balls stock.

540 hp thay can't run from its own shadow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Your car must be slow as **** then.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
Your car must be slow as **** then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #18

I owned a 13 gt 6 speed manual and traded it for a 07 gt500 for 2k diffrence i couldnt do much of anything to the coyote yet for much less than that maybe headers,tune,and some control arms. The gt had 20k miles the gt500 had 6k couldnt pass that deal

stang6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Well you aren't going to get a better deal than another 5.0... they are $20k all day right now.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
You know what you can afford honestly. For my situation, I'm trying to survive a temporary layoff. After that, my goals are to pay off the 5.0 and my sho. After that, the money will be going into either a savings account or into the stock market. Maybe even starting a business in sturgis. After all of that, I think I want the shelby 2014 since it's the last year; all in an attempt to give my son a 5.0 when he graduated high school if he has a good attitude. Otherwise, I will enjoy both. Moral of my opinion, is to save your money, set goals, and achieve them.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Ur gonna get all kinds of opinions. I won a roush and love it. If I bought a Shelby I would love it just as much and that goes for the gt. Obviously the gt i would mod the shiit out of it. So whatever I choose to do I think I won't regret it decision

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

*own not won

Old 02-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I's are u's .. Sausage finger syndrome

Old 02-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I think this is a GREAT question!! I don't think anyone has a great answer though. So much depends on your goals and what you want from your car. Do you want to recognized as unique, shows, track, drag, future collectible, resale so many factors here. Also buying used also changes it dramatically. Do you want a car someone else modded already, beat, maintained properly...Buying a used mustang comes with a little more risk then something my grandma would drive. Anyways, after my rant...I would lean towards a GT500 if you find the right price. Actually a Boss Laguna Seca or a Boss with Recaros etc since you probably wont find a cheap Laguna Seca.

I have a Roush and I love it as well, love it! However, I bought new with ford employee pricing and 0% interest for 72 months which played a huge factor for me. My first Roush was a 13, I bought for 47k new(killer price)...put 9k miles on it and traded it for 47k..Keep in mind, I traded it for a 14 Roush. So I agree with above statement sort of.... Roush is a modded GT (expensive mods though, nothing too sneeze at) but unless you trade at a huge Roush dealer, you would get crushed in trade value. My current 14 Stage 3, (I overpaid for), I think it was around 55k, I gave up the big rebates to keep 0% for 72. When I bought FORD did not offer any incentives on GT500's at all...no 0%, no employee pricing, and no rebates..In showroom they had 2, 66k and 67k receptively. I will go over a quick breakdown.

Roush- pro's....Supercharged! Appearance package, Exhaust, Wheels, Very Unique and very limited so you don't see tons of them at car shows. Car insurance shows as regular GT so insurance is way cheaper (sort of a pro, could be a con....)

Con's...No forged internals is a huge con for me now. Resale is also poor, It could be a huge pro since you are buying used!

GT500- Pros... Supercharged, Forged Internals, Appearance is pretty sick, Resale

Con's...Some people probably charge way too much used, Cost too much new, might not be able to put all that power to the road (but you can certainly do some upgrades to do so.

GT- pro's......Price

Con's...Depends what you want out of your car...If you want to mod it to match performance of a Roush/GT 500, or even make it better than both of them "factory", you will spend a **** ton of money...Supercharger/appearance/suspension

Boss- Pro's.....The only car I have seen since the Buick grand National to truly hold its value (maybe even go up in Value. Forged internals, appearance is pretty unique and they didn't make an extreme amount.

Best bang for your buck= GT, unless you want to mod it crazy...Then don't plan on getting any money you put into it back. You will spend a ton of $ to get it how I would want it, 15 to 20k plus.....

Used- you might be able to pick up a Roush Stage 3 for a killer deal. you want more cons I can gladly provide, PM me....Again I love it, but there are some more cons.

Boss/Laguna Seca will hold value better than all of them. Negative side is used....you might over pay.

I have plenty more details on all of these, but I would be typing forever.
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Ur gonna get all kinds of opinions. I won a roush and love it. If I bought a Shelby I would love it just as much and that goes for the gt. Obviously the gt i would mod the shiit out of it. So whatever I choose to do I think I won't regret it decision

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

*own not won

this revival of a year old thread was worth it...just so I could think for 10 seconds that R3 won his car.

then I read the edit....I'm still jealous
Old 02-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Gt500, roush, or mod a 5.0?

Can I have all three? 😇
Or a Shelby?

Every day is a joyride.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang