Rocker Panel Chips driving me crazy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Rocker Panel Chips driving me crazy

Just traded in for a 14 Ruby Red shelby and already the rocker panels are starting to get rock chips. It drives me crazy because I put the mud flaps on the car and I can still see the chips and I don't even have 400 miles on car.

I'm thinking about using the 3m spray but I worry that I might ruin the side stripes.

Does anyone else use the 3m spray for rocker panels? If so how was the instal and is it working?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seebz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I'd recommend just getting it clear bra'd

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Hum I have a 13 and have not noticed any rocker panel chips. Now with that said I put Roush Side Splitters on it this summer to hopefully stop them. I have a few rock dings on the nose that drive me nuts, but I don't see them from the drivers seat. I got the side splitters from AM along with the ones for the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	166668  

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
Hum I have a 13 and have not noticed any rocker panel chips. Now with that said I put Roush Side Splitters on it this summer to hopefully stop them. I have a few rock dings on the nose that drive me nuts, but I don't see them from the drivers seat. I got the side splitters from AM along with the ones for the rear.

Yea the chips are tiny and honestly, only noticeable if you get on your knees and put your face up to it. My concern is that there are possibly a hundred of these little nicks. I'm guessing it's more noticeable against the red color as opposed to the grey I had.

I'm going to order the side spill tees today. Did you install or have a shop do it? I had a roush chin splitter done by my Ford Body shop so I'll probably use them for this.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seebz13 View Post
Yea the chips are tiny and honestly, only noticeable if you get on your knees and put your face up to it. My concern is that there are possibly a hundred of these little nicks. I'm guessing it's more noticeable against the red color as opposed to the grey I had.

I'm going to order the side spill tees today. Did you install or have a shop do it? I had a roush chin splitter done by my Ford Body shop so I'll probably use them for this.

I did it myself they are really pretty easy to do. The hardest thing for me was to drill the first hole. Jack the car up enough so you can get a cordless drill and bit under it pull the old plugs out and line up the splitter then push the new plugs in half way hold the splitter up to the car and drill the holes. pull the cover off the tape push it up then push the plugs in all the way. Took all of 10 minutes per side. The rears one where a little bit tricky. There will be a sheet of paper with a layout on it. Cut it out and use blue painters tape. Line up on the screw head and tape the layout to the body of the car. When it is lined up and tapped then drill the 4 or 5 holes needed. Pull the layout off and install the rear splitter do the other side the same way. This took about 15 minutes a side to do.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Mlarv,

I just put in a rush order for the Rocker Panels you have. My biggest concern was install and appearance and that picture and your install steps was the deciding factor

I am going to just have my Ford body shop do the install. They have done a bunch of stuff for me in the past and I am going to ask him to try to buff out some of the nicks before the install. I'm not too familiar with methods of removing nicks but I'm pretty sure some can be buffed out.

Anyway thanks again and I'll send a couple pictures after they are installed.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

As far as the tiny chips go, someone said I can reduce them by "re flowing the clear"

Anybody know what that means?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang