Storing Shelby Advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Storing Shelby Advice

So this being my first non-daily driver, the time has come to put her in the garage for the winter.

Since I am new to storing a car, I figured you guys would be able to give me some advice when storing my GT500. Anyone have personal experience and maybe something to look out for?
Seebz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I don't store either one of them for the winter, if there is no snow & no salt, I drive !!
I am of the opinion that storing a car for several months isn't good for the car..

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
I don't store either one of them for the winter, if there is no snow & no salt, I drive !!
I am of the opinion that storing a car for several months isn't good for the car..

Noted and respected but all it would be is in the garage and it will be started once of week.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Please do NOT store that GT500

I see you live in Pennsylvania.
I live in Florida.
Just drive down here to Daytona and leave your GT with me for the winter and I promise to keep it running for you.
You can drive it down and fly back home. Then next spring just fly down and drive it back home.
I will watch the car free of charge but of course you will have to leave me some $$$$$ for gas and maybe some Disney tickets.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ha thanks Ron but the GT500 stays with me But at least I know I have a caretaker in Daytona now
Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Wht i do :
Fuel stabilizer in a full tank
detach battery or put on a tender
jack car up to avoid flat spots on tires or fill the tires all the way up.
This is my opinion im sure theres plenty more you can do too
Old 10-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You got it right

Also stick a rag in the exhaust pipes so nothing can get into them.
Stick some moth balls under the car.
one thing is to get a box of Damp-rid to stick inside the car.
Fill the gas tank all the way up.
Fill the tire to Max pressure.

Personally I would not put my car on jack stands. It is only for a few months but I don't believe letting a suspension hang for a long period of time is doing it any good. These new tires are not like the old Atlas Plycrons and even when parked for a few month does not destroy the tire. They will feel flat spotted at first but that soon goes away after you drive a few miles.

I prefer using a battery tender and leaving the battery hooked up. A lot of computers and electronics in these cars and I sure don't need electric problems next spring when I stick a battery in my car and nothing works anymore.

Are you parking inside a garage????

One thing you do not want to do is start it and let it idle once a week or so because it is not really good for the engine at all. All that does is create moisture that you do not want in your Oil pan, Exhaust among other places.
Ronnie
Old 10-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I am in Ohio and do the same thing. I sort of store it for the winter. I clean it wax it and then put it in the garage with a full tank of gas and a battery tender on it. Place the cover on it and relax. On nice days I take it out of the garage and run it around a bit in the neighbor hood. I make sure it gets good and hot then put it back in the garage and let it sit until another nice Saturday or Sunday. I use a damp-x in the cabin to make sure the moisture stays out of it.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have a HEATED garage and live in Indiana, a lot closer than Florida, if you want to come visit your girl.

I will even put a camera so you can check on your girl everyday via the net.

I don't need no STINKING DISNEY TICKETS and I will pay for the GAS!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Also stick a rag in the exhaust pipes so nothing can get into them.
Stick some moth balls under the car.
one thing is to get a box of Damp-rid to stick inside the car.
Fill the gas tank all the way up.
Fill the tire to Max pressure.

Personally I would not put my car on jack stands. It is only for a few months but I don't believe letting a suspension hang for a long period of time is doing it any good. These new tires are not like the old Atlas Plycrons and even when parked for a few month does not destroy the tire. They will feel flat spotted at first but that soon goes away after you drive a few miles.

I prefer using a battery tender and leaving the battery hooked up. A lot of computers and electronics in these cars and I sure don't need electric problems next spring when I stick a battery in my car and nothing works anymore.

Are you parking inside a garage????

One thing you do not want to do is start it and let it idle once a week or so because it is not really good for the engine at all. All that does is create moisture that you do not want in your Oil pan, Exhaust among other places.
Ronnie

Yea I'll have it in my garage. What about starting it and back it out of garage and letting it idle?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

That is a great big "NO"

Unless your gonna drive it until it gets up to operating temperature do "NOT" just back it out and let it idle. It is probably the very worst thing you can do.

Ronnie
Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Okay looks like it'll stay there and I'll disconnect battery and leave a full tank with stabilizer and I won't lift since it'll only be about 3 months

Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A battery tender does not cost very much and is well worth it

You can go to Walmart or any auto zone type store and pick up a battery tender pretty cheap. What abattery tender does is put a very slight trickle charge on your battery. It willNOT overcharge the battery like a trickle charger will. I have stored Motorcycles and cars for as long as three years using Battery tenders with no problems at all.
Ronnie

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...battery+tender
Old 10-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
This is what you want, you've made the investment in a nice *** car don't go cheap on the charger! I store mine for 6 months out of the year. Watch jay leno's review on YouTube to understand the difference. I'm not sure about other products for cold I live in Phoenix so I have no familiarity there. I do fill up the tires with nitrogen too, just to prevent flattening.

http://smartercharger.com/products/b...multi-us-7002/

GUIDASMASH
Jguida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A genuine "BATTERY TENDER" is very hard to beat.

When I was selling Motorcycle parts and accessories I'm betting we sold over a thousand at our store over the years. I can't remember one single complaint. They are manufactured in Deland Florida and we were probably the very first stores selling them. There are a few different models of the Battery Tender and I'm sure they all work the same.
http://batterytender.com/
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang