Shelby GT350 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #36
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Shelby GT350

We can name off people all day long who are drag racers or road racers. Like one easily named. Mario Andretti But when it comes down to it the average guy who has a sports car is going to have a much easier time drag racing than pulling good times on a road course, especially since most of those guys are just doing roll races which requires absolutely zero skill. Also it's a much more international sport. Where do you see drag racing at? Mainly just the US and Australia. The nurburgring is an international milestone for every single car to be manufactured.

If you like drag racing then you can stick with your 10 and 11 second races. I'll go ahead and do some 20+ minute track sessions.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
We can name off people all day long who are drag racers or road racers. Like one easily named. Mario Andretti But when it comes down to it the average guy who has a sports car is going to have a much easier time drag racing than pulling good times on a road course, especially since most of those guys are just doing roll races which requires absolutely zero skill. Also it's a much more international sport. Where do you see drag racing at? Mainly just the US and Australia. The nurburgring is an international milestone for every single car to be manufactured.

If you like drag racing then you can stick with your 10 and 11 second races. I'll go ahead and do some 20+ minute track sessions.

At the end of the day......it's all about who has the prettiest car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417545967.330196.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	170754

😍😍😍😍😍😍

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #38
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
At the end of the day......it's all about who has the prettiest car.

Attachment 170754

😍😍😍😍😍😍

Send that pic to @chooseaford on IG.

HID end all thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Send that pic to @chooseaford on IG.

Sent.

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

This is what I think everyone I knew who had Mustangs did drag racing. I'm a autocross, road coarse, drift kinda guy getting the car to link up is paramount, a bit different in the drift area though, but you don't need super high horse power just a set of great tires, set up suspension, and the ability to learn from your mistakes until you get it right.

I love the old late 60's Trans Am race series pic plus they used small block V8's verses the higher displacement engines that drag racing made popular. I do like the big block Mustangs though just for nostalgia.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #41
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious_rob View Post
Only on a track- not in a straight shot- lol- which is why i have owned 2 gt500s.

So is it now safe to say that the GT 350 is a souped up boss 302? Seems I had a hater earlier

Notorious R.o.B

I'm not sure how you can call it a souped up Boss. It has a different engine, transmission, and suspension. The original GT350 was track-minded as well, so there's a history to back it. Are you going to call the Mach 1 a "souped up Boss" when it comes out?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #42
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Same can be said for either type of driver really. Professionals on either end need skills that are unique and that makes them no less of an expert in their field. I think you are biased because you like road racing.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #43
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Drag racing is for fast cars, road racing is for fast drivers. :O

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #44
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Drag racing is for fast cars, road racing is for fast drivers. :O

I think we'll see Soccer on ESPN racing for the NHRA championship next season, you know, cause you just gotta mash the gas.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroisi View Post
I drove took my 2014 gt500 to Sebring and lost very little in turns with vipers, BMWS, and Porsche's...and beat them all on the straights. I agree hooking up with the stock 285's is a challenge, but replacing with 315's will take care of that.
The question is were those drivers all riding your *** in the turns? I've been around a track with my buddy in his 12 GT500 and his scenario is much the same as yours, but no matter how hard he drove the car there was always a Porsche riding his *** in the turns and the only reason he stayed ahead was because of the straights. He isn't exactly an a mature driver either, he's an ex vintage racing driver
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #46
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
The question is were those drivers all riding your *** in the turns? I've been around a track with my buddy in his 12 GT500 and his scenario is much the same as yours, but no matter how hard he drove the car there was always a Porsche riding his *** in the turns and the only reason he stayed ahead was because of the straights. He isn't exactly an a mature driver either, he's an ex vintage racing driver
Truth ^

Most non-pro track days only have certain places you can pass, which is generally the straight. So they may have been behind, but thats only because they couldn't pass where they had the advantage.

HID end all thread
Old 12-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Truth ^

Most non-pro track days only have certain places you can pass, which is generally the straight. So they may have been behind, but thats only because they couldn't pass where they had the advantage.
it was an open lapping day for us, they just never got an ideal opportunity to pass and nobody was driving aggressive like you would on a race day
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #48
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
it was an open lapping day for us, they just never got an ideal opportunity to pass and nobody was driving aggressive like you would on a race day
Yea depends on the people running it for the most part. I've noticed most of the available track days around here to open pass you need to have done a lot of previous track days and you run in your own group. People who have something like less than 6 track days do point by passing.

HID end all thread
Old 12-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea depends on the people running it for the most part. I've noticed most of the available track days around here to open pass you need to have done a lot of previous track days and you run in your own group. People who have something like less than 6 track days do point by passing.
Yeah my track does it completely different. HPDE events will put you in classes but on open lapping days they'll break everything up to slow group and fast group and then you're free to choose what group you run in. Point bys are encouraged but not necessary and you're free to pass wherever you want as long as it's safe to do so
Old 12-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #50
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yeah my track does it completely different. HPDE events will put you in classes but on open lapping days they'll break everything up to slow group and fast group and then you're free to choose what group you run in. Point bys are encouraged but not necessary and you're free to pass wherever you want as long as it's safe to do so

I wish there was a track nearby like that lol. Sonoma doesn't even let newbies. You have to be signed off by HPDE or another type of program. Might do my first on the 20th if the weather holds up.

HID end all thread
Old 12-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wish there was a track nearby like that lol. Sonoma doesn't even let newbies. You have to be signed off by HPDE or another type of program. Might do my first on the 20th if the weather holds up.

Yeah that track is an hour and a half away in the middle of nowhere. I believe the nearest town is like 6 or 16 miles away, I can't remember which
Old 12-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #52
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The one i will probably do my first event at is about an hour and 45 minutes from my house. Sonoma Raceway is only about 45 minutes from my school though.

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

I'm very excited for the gt350. I'm getting a new job soon and I'm planning on getting one as soon as possible. Hopefully it all works out perfectly and I'll be driving one off the lot within a week of it being released

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jsteele84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #54
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele84 View Post
I'm very excited for the gt350. I'm getting a new job soon and I'm planning on getting one as soon as possible. Hopefully it all works out perfectly and I'll be driving one off the lot within a week of it being released

If you get one let me drive it!!! Lol, no joke.

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Sure if you live in Alaska. Lol

Old 12-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #56
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Hey you never know. I've got relatives in Anchorage lol.

HID end all thread
Old 12-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Lol well I guess I have to now. Dammit now I'm obsessing over this car again on Google lol

Old 12-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Up in Anchorage you get six weeks to drive it right?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Lol just about

Old 12-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

I was up there in late May in 2000 and it was snowing in Anchorage and I was like WOW. Rare to see for a boy from Tennessee!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #61
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Lol 6 months during a good year. I drove mine from late April till the end of October this year. Could've gone another month since the snow held off until later than normal

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1 - This is not a modernized Boss, this is a totally new platform, new engine and brand new suspension.

2 - What is wrong with the 5.8? Not capable of the RPM they want for road racing and that the new 5.2 is capable of right out of the box.

3 - Not supercharged because does not need to be. 500+ with a suspected 9K+ redline is great.

4 - The 350 is about handling, the 500 will be about power and the 1/4, two completely different animals.

Not sure what point you are trying to make... this car is exactly what was suspected and there were really no surprises. If/when the 500 comes out, look for a mega powered 1/4 mile monster. Although with the times they are running now and the easily 700+whp capable GT500s from even the older 07s... not sure how much more they need.
Yea but are you talking about the 351 Cleveland (5.8l)
or the Windsor engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
^Perfect explanation

Quote:
The issue with the 5.8 was that it made the car push like a pig (heavy front end) and the stroke of 4.125" is wayyyyyyy too long for the rpms they want. And believe it or not you don't want a ton of torque for road racing. You need horsepower that builds in high rpms, too much torque in the low rpms and you lose grip coming out of corners.

I personally love the new 5.2 motor. 500+ horsepower NA at 8200 rpm stock, that may be an option for a motor swap in my car in the future. I'm positive there will be people to get it to 9k rpm. And it absolutely needs to be NA, any forced induction creates too much heat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang