Almost bought the farm in my Shelby - Any similar stories? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Almost bought the farm in my Shelby - Any similar stories?

I think it's safe to say most of us have had many near death experiences but this was my first in a long while.

I decided to drive my Shelby today since it's 55 out and possibly the last chance before it gets too cold to drive her and I almost got into a serious accident. I'm heading back to work and I'm driving on I-95 when I see a serious of dump trucks. Now from past experience with other cars, I always make it a point to speed up and drive past them as quickly as possible to avoid any rocks. I attempted to pass on the right when I saw a giant plastic sheet flying around in lanes ahead and it was making its way towards my lane. I was boxed in and there was no way to avoid the sheet so I had to drive over it hoping it would go under. Well it didn't and at first I thought it was stuck under the car but it flew up while I was doing about 85 to 90 and I almost went into the railing.

Thankfully it flew off but, my God, extremely scary ****. The other miracle was that the paint was fine. There were alot of scuff marks but they all wiped off when I used detail spray and there was only one tiny scratch that'll come out with some scratchx.

Anyone else ever almost lose control or have their windshield completely blocked going fast?
Seebz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
well I was heading into work one morning about 5:30AM when I went to pass a car or truck not sure which. I was only doing 70 in a 65 when I saw in the lane in front of me a dead deer. I went into the break down lane and back over into the main lane cause I was about to hit a bridge Buttman. When I got to work I parked under a street light like normal and saw all the blood down the side of the car. It all cleaned off but the bridge buttman was close really close.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Like 3 days after bought my terminator I was on a 55mph road at 3am on my way home from work and a deer jumped out right in front of me, damn near flat spotted the tires I had to brake so hard not to hit it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I always have deer jumping in front of me too. It's always at night when I'm driving my truck. It's to the point where I'm just going to get a front bumper guard and just run them over instead of breaking and swerving.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seebz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I had to hit a full bale of hay with my work truck. I thought it was going to be a bigger deal than it was but my 14000 pound truck blew it all over the interstate.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I had to hit a full bale of hay with my work truck. I thought it was going to be a bigger deal than it was but my 14000 pound truck blew it all over the interstate.
I bet that looked spectacular from other peoples view! I've hit a blown out truck tire on the highway (no choice) and it hit the side of my rangers bed I had and left a huge dent
Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #7

Region: Texas
I had a deer hit me one night. She was on the opposite shoulder and decided to cross about the time I got near. I went out in the grass to avoid, but she ran into the side of my truck. Made a hell of a sound. I turned around to pick her up, but she was gone. The next day I looked and saw the rear wheel opening bent. Bet she had a bad headache.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
About 28 years ago, I was driving home from school one night (NJIT in Newark, NJ) on Rt 21. I was in the left lane going northbound. I'm passing a car that was on my right when there was an accident on the southbound side of the highway. A semi-trailer popped up over the divider just in front and to the left side of me. Luckily it didn't come completely over and landed back on it's side of the road. Needless to say, I was freaking out right after that. It happened so fast and so close to me that if the truck had come completely over, I never would have been able to react in time. Something I'll never forget.

2010 Mustang GT Premium - Silver
2002 Escape XLT - Dk Highland Green
RobtRoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Years ago when I was in college, commuting by motorcycle in rush hour traffic, I suddenly had a black plastic trash bag, that came out of nowhere, wrap around my helmet. I could not see a thing and it took several grabs at it with my gloved hand to finally pull it away. Luckily I was still in my lane but had slowed way down and had a line of cars on my ***. Scared the crap out of me. I never saw it coming, just suddenly blind at 70 MPH!
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #10

Region: Florida
Thought I try and do a launch on a back road with all nannys turned off--WITH stock back tires. Well no surprise, she broke loose and I almost ended up in a ditch.
stroisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think I've posted my accident somewhere else here, but long story short my blue 2006 Pony Package V6 wrecked out after getting cutoff by a person who fled the scene (in AZ, so was likely an illegal with no license or insurance). Hit the curb at 40 mph, slammed into one of those big, green electrical transformers at about 30mph. Sheered off a gas mainin the process, and lit 24 ft plumes of flame coming from the main right under my engine block. My girlfriend and I bailed out with whatever bumps we got from the airbags and got a ride to the hospital since she was a few months preggo.

Any faster and that plume would have been in the passenger cabin. Insurance claim was for a charred, black Mustang with no VIN - the VIN placard was straight melted off. I hadn't even had the car long enough for its first oil change.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #12

Region: South Carolina
About 5 years ago I was going down the crowded interstate doing about 70 mph and just going with the flow. I was in my month old new 2011 Shelby GT-500 and about three car lengths behind a pickup when he did a little juke step about a foot to the left and then quickly back right. The truck had ran over a sheet of plywood and it stood straight up after he passed over it. I hit it square in the middle and to my surprise it broke into a thousand pieces. It was actually a large sheet of pressboard and disintegrated when I hit it. Probably would have looked cool on a GoPro (LOL). Got home and found the tiniest scratch in the middle of the front bumper cover. I think I did more damage to my underwear than the car.
2014 Shelby GT-500
2014 Mustang V-6 Convertible

Bill Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
A few weeks ago in my 13 GT Premium, I was driving home, about 180 miles from college. For the last 50 miles it's a 4 lane highway, 2 going and 2 oncoming, no median.

Well, I hit a patch of black ice... rear kicks out violently. End up over correcting, snap oversteer into the oncoming lanes, tires spinning and squealing, and finally get it under control and back into my lane just before I would have hit a car head on at 60 miles an hour.

Looked in the rear view mirror, tire marks everywhere, and lots of smoke.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
^ very similar thing happened to me on the interstate. I'll never drive my car if there is a potential for snow or ice again. Or rain or clouds.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang