What's a good fuel stabilizer? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What's a good fuel stabilizer?

Well I'm close to the Philadelphia area and this weather shows no signs of getting warmer.

My Shelby has been sitting for about 2 months with me starting it every week but I think I'll need to add stabilizer to the fuel soon.

What's a good stabilizer for 93 octane, how much and is it hard to put in with Fords new cap less fuel?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seebz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Stabil is about as good as it gets. I will have to say starting it once a week and letting warm up and not driving it is a bad idea. The engine heats up then it cools down causing moisture in the oil and exhaust system. The best thing to do is put a battery tender on it and let it sit. This is what I have done the last two years with mine without any problem. Last year it was in my garage so I could drive it when the weather was nice. This year it is in a friends garage so it is not so easy to drive, so it is parked. First thing in spring is an oil change and a long drive to dry things out.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
Stabil is about as good as it gets. I will have to say starting it once a week and letting warm up and not driving it is a bad idea. The engine heats up then it cools down causing moisture in the oil and exhaust system. The best thing to do is put a battery tender on it and let it sit. This is what I have done the last two years with mine without any problem. Last year it was in my garage so I could drive it when the weather was nice. This year it is in a friends garage so it is not so easy to drive, so it is parked. First thing in spring is an oil change and a long drive to dry things out.
Awesome! What kind of tender do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I have on my car.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Same thing I was looking at. Thanks Mlarv

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

NP enjoy the cold

Old 02-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Sta-Bil for your fuel, package tells you how much to add.
On the topic of starting or not starting a car in winter. This was discussed @ length on the SVTP site, one of the members posted this:
From the 2013 Mustang Owners Guide V3 - Page 258

VEHICLE STORAGE
If you plan on storing your vehicle for an extended period of time (30 days or more), read the following maintenance recommendations to make sure your vehicle stays in good operating condition.
All motor vehicles and their components were engineered and tested for reliable, regular driving. Long term storage under various conditions may lead to component degradation or failure unless specific precautions are taken to preserve the components.

General
• Store all vehicles in a dry, ventilated place.
• Protect from sunlight, if possible.
• If vehicles are stored outside, they require regular maintenance to protect against rust and damage.

Body
• Wash vehicle thoroughly to remove dirt, grease, oil, tar or mud from exterior surfaces, rear-wheel housing and underside of front fenders.
• Periodically wash vehicles stored in exposed locations.
• Touch-up raw or primed metal to prevent rust.
• Cover chrome and stainless steel parts with a thick coat of auto wax to prevent discoloration. Re-wax as necessary when the vehicle is washed.
• Lubricate all hood, door and trunk lid hinges, and latches with a light grade oil.
• Cover interior trim to prevent fading.
• Keep all rubber parts free from oil and solvents.

Engine
• The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage.
• Start the engine every 15 days. Run at fast idle until it reaches normal operating temperature.
• With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.
You can make your own decision, it is after all, your car !!

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
Sta-Bil for your fuel, package tells you how much to add.
On the topic of starting or not starting a car in winter. This was discussed @ length on the SVTP site, one of the members posted this:
From the 2013 Mustang Owners Guide V3 - Page 258

VEHICLE STORAGE
If you plan on storing your vehicle for an extended period of time (30 days or more), read the following maintenance recommendations to make sure your vehicle stays in good operating condition.
All motor vehicles and their components were engineered and tested for reliable, regular driving. Long term storage under various conditions may lead to component degradation or failure unless specific precautions are taken to preserve the components.

General
• Store all vehicles in a dry, ventilated place.
• Protect from sunlight, if possible.
• If vehicles are stored outside, they require regular maintenance to protect against rust and damage.

Body
• Wash vehicle thoroughly to remove dirt, grease, oil, tar or mud from exterior surfaces, rear-wheel housing and underside of front fenders.
• Periodically wash vehicles stored in exposed locations.
• Touch-up raw or primed metal to prevent rust.
• Cover chrome and stainless steel parts with a thick coat of auto wax to prevent discoloration. Re-wax as necessary when the vehicle is washed.
• Lubricate all hood, door and trunk lid hinges, and latches with a light grade oil.
• Cover interior trim to prevent fading.
• Keep all rubber parts free from oil and solvents.

Engine
• The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage.
• Start the engine every 15 days. Run at fast idle until it reaches normal operating temperature.
• With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.
You can make your own decision, it is after all, your car !!

Hum this is the first time I have ever read start the engine and let it run until it is warm. Now I am going to have to do some more research. I just found the thread on SVT and read it all. I will know this year if leaving it alone was a good idea. The last two years it was in my garage and I drove it on nice days. This year it is in a friends garage a few miles from me and I have not driven it at all, but even if it was in my garage the weather has not been any good to drive it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang