Alternator problem!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Alternator problem!!

I got 2008 gt500 making 1000hp I was running stock alternator it lasted couple months after the motor was build. Now I got pa performance from american muscle 200amps. When I used nos on stock alternator it was doing fine but on new alternator every time I mean every time I used nos its blow ups it's goes out every times. Any idea why? Thank you

Too much never enough.
derick_snake08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I hear Rapinator coming
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm subscribing 👍
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
What is going out? Front bushing? Diode pack? Regulator? Back bushing?

If the bushing are going out you have to much torque for them. You will need to add another sort of bracket to hold it nice and tight. If diode or regulator are going out, there are several reasons. One might be as simple as the internals of the alternator hitting them, all the way to to much current draw.

Have you sent them back to MFG and asked what is going on?

When you remove them, can you wiggle he front drive pulley?

Later Mike

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry I should have explain it better. alternator going out. It has black rely looking inside of the alternator. When I turn on the nos it's just blow up. Pulleys and everything else on the alternator looks good it just stop charging the battery. That's only happen when I use NOS. I got yellow top battery but still no luck.

Too much never enough.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

OK that sounds like a regulator. Is it burning like letting the smoke out. I really don't think the battery would cause this. I would check the electrical connections going to the NOS and see if you have a short on them, or the switch. Use a meter and see what is going on.

How is the NOS wired with a relay? Straight from battery to switch to pump. I will almost bet you pinched a wire during install and when you hit the NOS it twist teh engine just a bit to short it.

Just SWAGing but don't we all. Good Luck a multi meter is your friend in this case.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Old 04-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I will check everything Cuz if I take the car to shop it will cost me lot. I feel like it has short circuits. Is
There any way I could find short circuit?

Too much never enough.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by derick_snake08 View Post
Ok I will check everything Cuz if I take the car to shop it will cost me lot. I feel like it has short circuits. Is
There any way I could find short circuit?

Too much never enough.
Yes there is. Spend a little on a multimeter get a descent one from Sears (not the $9.00), take a little time and look at youtube videos on how to use it. The look at youtube videos on how to find a short. You can do the wire inspection by yourself with out a meter. Start at the NOS injectors and follow and feel each wire looking for and feel for bumps or flat spots in the wire. If you find one inspect it to make sure it is not broken or the shielding (jacket) is not damaged or has a hole torn etc. If no luck that way the meter is the next way to find it.

Where are you located? Is there a Mustang club near by that you could find some help from?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just out of curiosity, how much rwhp are you making without the nitrous? And great help Mike!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Is your nitrous grounded to the alternator? I definitely wouldn't run it again until you figure out what's going on.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Do you have a shop in your area that rebuilds starters and alternators? They are rapidly becoming more scarce these days, as they have to compete with the cheap rebuilt ones that are sold at the auto parts stores these days. I always used to use these shops to rebuild mine rather than buy a rebuilt one; I recently had my Ford Ranger alternator rebuilt to increase its 95 AMP output to 130 AMP (was towing a trailer with a 7 pin, 12V source).

These shops can perhaps make your alternator more able to handle the HP/torque output of that monster engine!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Once again Thank so much for helping me out. I did look on YouTube they were saying take out the battery wire and connect multimeter. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1429810779.055829.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	180944
It read 1.43. I'm about to inspect the wires right now hopefully I do find something. Cuz we have track day in two weeks and I want to run my car the first time at the track. I live in Modesto California.

Too much never enough.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Alternator problem!!

It's making 1065 without nos. I used nos for the tq and with Nos it's making 1354tq to the wheel.
Yeah it been sitting in the garage for weeks now. I could drive around on daily tune but I really need to fix the problem with NOS.

Too much never enough.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately not the one that I know of. I did look around but every shop kept saying they don't rebuild no more cuz it's cheaper to get newer one.

Too much never enough.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

No way. I can have one rebuilt for $35. New for our cars, inasne!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Maybe it'd help to tell us which nitrous kit you have. After this is fixed, I think we would all love to hear more about your build.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Once again Thank so much for helping me out. I did look on YouTube they were saying take out the battery wire and connect multimeter. Attachment 180944
It read 1.43. I'm about to inspect the wires right now hopefully I do find something.
Too much never enough.
Wow if you are reading 1.43 amps with out a load you have a short some place. This will show up as battery dead after a day or so of sitting. Please tell me there is something like 1.43ma which is about right.

On the meter what are the switches set to? This will help figuring out what is going on. Unplug the NOS setup and see if that 1.43 drops. If it does we have a good chance of finding the problem.

If not it makes it a bit harder but it is doable.

step 1 Get the reading with the NOS unpluged if lower plug it back in and go to each plug on the system and unplug it one at a time

step 2 If unpluging the NOS system does not drop the 1.43 DO not start the car and take out bottle. Hit the nos botton or switch and watch the meter and see if it jumps up from 1.43 to some other number. If it does we are on teh correct path and unplug each plug one at a time to see if it stops jumping

When it stops jumping chase the wires you just disconnected and see which one is causing the problem.

I am not sure how a NOS system is setup but this is basic TS'n of a wiring problem

I have a busy day tomorrow I fly back to Cleveland after work so I might not be back on until Saturday morning. If someone else has any ideas please chime in.

Let me know the reading and I might be able to help ya figure it out.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

heading home from bean town guess I will see how it went in the AM

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Alternator problem!!

I just finished inspecting the wirings on the nos bottle and I found the fuses on the nitrous and they are all good. I then did the voltage test on the battery and took every single fuse out one by one and there was a significant drop in voltage when removing the radio fuse. I believe that's probably where my short circuit is at. I'm about to open up the radio and hopefully I find the short circuit. Thanks once again, enjoy your trip!

Too much never enough.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

hold up not the radio it is in the NOS circuit in plane right now but don't open radio

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Old 04-25-2015, 04:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Oh because when I did the voltage test the only numbers with a significant drop was the radio fuse. This radio fuse has blown up on me before whenever I have stepped on it. So then I ended up getting a stronger fuse so that wouldn't happen and maybe that's why instead of cutting out the fuse it cuts out the alternator now. At idle the radio fuse is at -1.46 so probably during driving and racing the numbers probably triple thus sucking out all the power from my alternator. Have a safe trip!

Too much never enough.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh because when I did the voltage test the only numbers with a significant drop was the radio fuse. This radio fuse has blown up on me before whenever I have stepped on it. So then I ended up getting a stronger fuse so that wouldn't happen and maybe that's why instead of cutting out the fuse it cuts out the alternator now. At idle the radio fuse is at -1.46 so probably during driving and racing the numbers probably triple thus sucking out all the power from my alternator. Have a safe trip!

Too much never enough.
Made it home last night.

OK the Radio is a different problem. It should never pull enough to kill an alternator, I think it would burn up first and never work again.

The way it seems to me (not knowing how this is installed). Is the NOS system is the problem.

So please take it slow and work safe.
Get a friend to help because your arms are not long enough (again I am guessing this)

Do not start the car during this.

Get the meter and set it to read resistance

Unhook the battery

Unplug the NOS bottle and place the RED lead on a pin.
Next place the black lead on a good ground point.
The meter should not read anything
Next hit the switch and see if it reads any thing if so right down this number. If zero this might be your problem

Now release switch and do the same thing with the other pin.

If either side reads zero when the switch is hit follow that wire it has a short in it to ground

If neither of these you will need to find how power gets to the NOS bottle and check both sides of it.

As for the radio I am not sure if you are reading Volts or Amps going to the radio. If Amps it is on the high side and should be looked at. If volts then it sounds like a keep alive voltage for the clock station presets etc's.

Let me know

Old 04-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Am I wrong to say you should never increase the size of a fuse if it keeps blowing. If the radio or nitrous or anything else has the proper size fuse installed and keeps blowing, that is usually a sign of a problem, correct?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Am I wrong to say you should never increase the size of a fuse if it keeps blowing. If the radio or nitrous or anything else has the proper size fuse installed and keeps blowing, that is usually a sign of a problem, correct?
You are correct sir. I feel this is another problem because the regulator would blow out any time the radio was on. This only happens with NOS on so it is one of two things

The NOS itself. Or a wire that is close to grounding out and when the NOS comes on the engine twist and it shorts the wire out.

So a question is does the NOS really turn on?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I had a shop installed for me. I look all around and I couldn't find where the nos get the power Cuz some of the wires goes behind the dashboard and other behind the steering. For the radio it shouldn't draw any volts or amps when everything off right?

Too much never enough.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry I did not get a stronger fuse I got same fuse as old one but different kind. Now I got one where it's blow up and it's glow on top.

Too much never enough.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

My nos goes into the intake tube. Can I take the Intake and turn on the nos? Just to see if it's sprays?

Too much never enough.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had a shop installed for me. I look all around and I couldn't find where the nos get the power Cuz some of the wires goes behind the dashboard and other behind the steering. For the radio it shouldn't draw any volts or amps when everything off right?

Too much never enough.
OK if a shop installed it they should be able to chase the short for you. Did it ever work? Is it still under warranty for the work they did? If you where near me I would say bring it on over and we could figure it out.

The radio should draw a milliamp or two because of the clock and presets.

Is the NOS working or not?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

No not anymore. It worked couple months until my stock alternator gave up. From then on new alternator has been doing the same thing only when I click the button. What state you live in? I wish I had friend near by to help me out. How can I check if the nos turn on or not? The last time I was doing a test on a highway. Right when I press the button I felt the push for couple second maybe one or two seconds right after that alternator was gone.

Too much never enough.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

It should have an arming switch. I'm not sure about the newer models and being able to set them up at different rmps. But once the arming switch is active, I think is when your trouble begins.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

It really stinks having everything ran behind the firewall. It honestly sounds like, 1. It either needs to go back to them or 2. You're gonna have to dig and find evert wire and still run the risk of not finding rhe right one.

If it were me, I'd call them up and tell them exactly what is going on. What are the chances they would have crossed something up with the radio? If your radio is original and been in your car, it should not blow fuses. They could have very well caused that problem when they were monkeying around.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Alternator problem!!

I have my setup as manual I got one switch that turns on, 2nd switch to go. I probably call the shop on Monday but for now I will chase the wires down.

Yeah radio still stock But idk why the fuse blow up right After that alternator gave up. I'm thinking it has to do with radio but not a single wire attached to the NOS so it doesn't make any sense.

The worst part is that I couldn't find any short circuit finder in local stores.

Too much never enough.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

NOS get the power straight from the battery. The wire is good and fuse on the wire is good to. I check all the ground with the tester and everything seem to be fine.

Too much never enough.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Alright straight from battery to where?

You have two switches one turn on and one to go

The one to turn on sounds good

The one to go sounds like the cause of the problem.

Take the connectors off the switch and put the meter you have in resistance and check them to ground.

I am from Ohio

Do you have a Mustang club near you? If so join up and I bet you will find a lot of friends and help.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

From the battery to a rely in the back. From the rely 4 wire come out. One for the warmer, 2nd for the turn on switch, and other two into bundle of wires.

To check the resistance do I have to turn on anything?

Damn that's far
I was in a club when I got my 03 gt with 2.1 kb supercharger. everything was good they had some fast cars until I got my gt500. I was the fastest one but they all got butt hurt. It was like if they beat you in a race everything is good but if you beat them then it's big drama.

Too much never enough.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang