12 GT500PP FULL suspension upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:08 AM   #1

12 GT500PP FULL suspension upgrade

What parts do I need? Open to suggestions that will help my needs.

I don't really want to go through a thousand different companies to get everything I need but if I have to I will.

So to be honest, I absolutely hate the suspension in my GT500. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but it doesn't handle as well as I'd like it to. There's a little body roll, wheel hop some of the time, really rough ride (the roads in my area are terrible), and tires take forever to catch traction (pilot super sports). So basically I'd like to replace as much of the suspension as I can. Since I don't plan on trying to make ridiculous power (keeping it under 600HP), I'd like to get the absolute best out of what I've got by replacing it all. I'd like to lower the car, try to even out the weight from front to back, and over all have a very smooth ride but also be able to corner aggressively with ease. The smoothness is a must as I've got terrible back pain and I'm only 20 so I plan to have the car for many years and want to build it for me. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1435820632.320928.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	186334

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
12GT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Of course you can replace everything but you will at a minimum need springs, lower control arms and adjustable pan hard bar. I went BMR and have been more than happy.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Mist will recommend upper control arms as well.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Personally I'd go all out with a complete suspension build. I was looking at possibly buying a 14 GT500. I had the exact intentions you have now. Minus I wanted a big whipple, fully exhaust, cams, and a few other things. I wanted the car to handle like a race car. Which there's people on here that know a great deal more about suspension components than me, hopefully they'll chime in. Here's what I would do.
Upper and lower control arms
Panhard bar adjustable
Adjustable shocks/springs
Subframe connectors
Sway bar upgrades both of them
Some sticky tires and wide wheels
Strut tower brace, every little thing helps

I'm forgetting things but maybe PM soccer or Scotty, they can help you in this area better than I can.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
12 GT500PP FULL suspension upgrade

^ right on time (rolls eyes) any chance he can get to talk about himself before rattling off a bunch of garb.

Also, do you think he knows who those people are since you didn't give him full screen names? He has 5 posts. Neither one of those guys has a s-197 either. Not that they don't know some things but I'm not sure they care to have you telling people to pm them about things they may or may not know.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
doyouevenforum

Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435886387013.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	186381  
Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Which move is that from? He's been in quite a few medieval movies, I can't remember which one that ones from.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
doyouevenforum

Game of thrones. Its a TV series.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Oh, I've heard of that show. I love the bad lip reading of that show on YouTube. So is that Sean Bean? Or some other guy?

Old 07-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GT500 View Post
What parts do I need? Open to suggestions that will help my needs.

I don't really want to go through a thousand different companies to get everything I need but if I have to I will.

So to be honest, I absolutely hate the suspension in my GT500. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but it doesn't handle as well as I'd like it to. There's a little body roll, wheel hop some of the time, really rough ride (the roads in my area are terrible), and tires take forever to catch traction (pilot super sports). So basically I'd like to replace as much of the suspension as I can. Since I don't plan on trying to make ridiculous power (keeping it under 600HP), I'd like to get the absolute best out of what I've got by replacing it all. I'd like to lower the car, try to even out the weight from front to back, and over all have a very smooth ride but also be able to corner aggressively with ease. The smoothness is a must as I've got terrible back pain and I'm only 20 so I plan to have the car for many years and want to build it for me. Attachment 186334

Hey 12gt500,

I don't have a Shelby but I did just get done doing a full suspension on my 14 gt. I recommend you go with Steeda based on what you spoke about wanting a smooth ride with good cornering abilities but won't beat the hell out of your back. TJSTEEDA who is on the forum regularly can really help get you where you want to be with the car. He can help get you a great price when you buy a bunch of stuff as well. Just to give you an idea of what all I did to get the results you were talking about.

All Steeda parts
Adjustable UCA
UCA bracket
Adjustable Panhard & Panhard support (maybe you go with the watts link)
LCA
G trac bar
X-brace (retains rear seats)
Ultimate rear sway bar
Adjustable front sway
Caster camber plates
Sport springs (bout an inch drop)

I also put KONI yellow adjustable shocks and struts.

All this made my car ride like its on rails but it doesn't hurt to hit a bump or pot hole in the road. I would highly recommend this set up from Steeda.

I am also looking to do my BMR LCA relo brackets and get some Steeda sway bar end links. I went with BMR on the LCA relo brackets because they do not require an alignment rack to get them on, sadly the Steeda ones do.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-03-2015, 05:32 AM   #10

Oxford5pointoh

That all sounds great. I'm going to look into that a lot more. But could I still have that great of handling if I were to not do the struts and springs and just do bags? I don't want to have to settle with only 1 inch drop. I'd like to be able to drop it while at shows and be able to choose my ride height.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Oxford5pointoh

That all sounds great. I'm going to look into that a lot more. But could I still have that great of handling if I were to not do the struts and springs and just do bags? I don't want to have to settle with only 1 inch drop. I'd like to be able to drop it while at shows and be able to choose my ride height.

I'm not really sure about how it would handle with bags. I've never had bags on something that was really sporty. But there are plenty of people who are doing it right now. Someone is bound to chime in with personal experience on that one

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

I promise you just changing springs, lca, and phb will completely change how you car handles. If you have the money, sure, do everything Oxford is saying. If not, do those 3 and maybe toss in uca. My car is totally different after the swap.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
I promise you just changing springs, lca, and phb will completely change how you car handles. If you have the money, sure, do everything Oxford is saying. If not, do those 3 and maybe toss in uca. My car is totally different after the swap.

I might try those for a little while but I really want my car to be a full suspension build so I'll probably keep adding after installing those parts

Old 07-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I think everyone has covered most of the bases and just through my 3 cents in for good measure.
I would have loved to get a 13/14 GT500 and although they have the meanest looks I just couldn't part with $60k.......................I bought a 14GT TrakPak for less than half and started from scratch.
I lowered the car 1.5" in front and 2" in the rear and added an adjustable panhard bar to center the rearend. The ride stock was firm but not harsh............lowered the ride is harsh and I've lived with it for 5500 miles. I also added non-OE LCA's and UCA along with replacing the carrier bushing with a BMR. In the front I'm still using the OE TrakPak struts/strut supports..............since my car was a TrakPak it already had 14" Brembo's and I added the GT500 13.8" discs in the rear. I also got an almost new set of OE 2014 GT500 wheels and tires from Shelby in Las Vegas. I'm not crazy about the Goodyears and will replace them with something better at the end of the summer.
The harshness and slowing to a crawl when approaching driveways, speed bumps, railroad tracks and road surface issues is just come to a head after 5500 miles of driving.....................I am going to go with coilovers and have been looking at the Steeda Stage 1 and 2 along with KW and MCS. The last two are a little on the expensive side......................being able to adjust ride height and corner weight along with harshness/stiffness will be worth it to me.
I have never been a fan of air suspension except on street rods, and having a number of friends with both low end and high end air suspension systems just doesn't appeal to me as does their ride/cornering ability.
You know, this is your car.........your money, and you just need to make it yours because you are spending the money.
I love your car and although it currently sits a little high for my taste it is a beautiful car!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #15

olerodder, thanks for your input. And I know my car currently sits a lot higher than I'd like it to. My head is kinda stuck on bags to see if I could get the same or better performance benefits as coilovers though. But I would be willing to go with coilovers in the end if it turns out that bags wouldn't give me what I'm looking for.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
olerodder, thanks for your input. And I know my car currently sits a lot higher than I'd like it to. My head is kinda stuck on bags to see if I could get the same or better performance benefits as coilovers though. But I would be willing to go with coilovers in the end if it turns out that bags wouldn't give me what I'm looking for.

Whichever direction you take make sure you document it and let us know how and when it progresses.
Good Luck.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
As a racer, I can promise that airbag suspension will NOT give good performance. If you want coilover performance benefits, you need to bite the bullet and buy a good set of coilovers (AST, Moton, or MCS are good choices).
Your biggest benefits (in order) on this chassis are light wheels, good tires, shocks/ struts, watts link, good brake pads and fluid (I just picked up a set of Hawk HPS50 pads, will review after a few events), bushings, sway bars, springs (some rear high rake angle is good for performance), relocation brackets, then control arms (last, not a big benefit except to correct the axle thrust angle, bushing replacement in stock arms is sufficient). Note that I did not mention shock or strut braces, they add weight and give no performance advantage.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
As a racer, I can promise that airbag suspension will NOT give good performance. If you want coilover performance benefits, you need to bite the bullet and buy a good set of coilovers (AST, Moton, or MCS are good choices).
Your biggest benefits (in order) on this chassis are light wheels, good tires, shocks/ struts, watts link, good brake pads and fluid (I just picked up a set of Hawk HPS50 pads, will review after a few events), bushings, sway bars, springs (some rear high rake angle is good for performance), relocation brackets, then control arms (last, not a big benefit except to correct the axle thrust angle, bushing replacement in stock arms is sufficient). Note that I did not mention shock or strut braces, they add weight and give no performance advantage.

That all sounds great but I don't just want to be able to get better traction and corner better, I want the car to ride really smooth. The area where I live, the roads are terrible! There's huge cracks, potholes, gravel, and all kinds of other obstacles that are difficult to avoid. Basically the whole reason for my build is to make it so I can't hardly feel all the bs that's on the road or at least make it not as violent. Would doing the upgrades you mentioned help with that also because I want the performance benefits as well?

Old 07-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I daily drive my car in Southeast Virginia, so I am familiar with bad roads. If your roads are that bad, then a watts link goes from third to first, as it eliminates the rear end dance over bumps (do not go with the fays2 if noise is a concern, the Whiteline actually has bushings and is much quieter). Shocks will be a good choice also. If you do not go coilovers, but rather just shocks and lowering springs, go with Koni Yellows, they will let you adjust the rebound (a little goes a long way, I race at 1/4 turn over soft front and 3/4 turn over soft rear). For bad roads, definitely do bushings in your control arms, instead of Heim joints, those ride rough. If you go coilovers, be conservative with your spring choice (no more than 450 front and 275 rear), and use the dampers to compensate (GOOD dampers will stand out from the pack here against the not so good options). Light wheels will be nice because they transmit less impact to the damper (less weight moving upwards means less jar from the pothole). Brake pads do not change the roughness of ride, but really aggressive pads will make a bit of noise under gentle braking. Some tires will make more noise and transmit some extra feel, but not much, just turn the radio on to around five percent volume and you can't hear it.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
I daily drive my car in Southeast Virginia, so I am familiar with bad roads. If your roads are that bad, then a watts link goes from third to first, as it eliminates the rear end dance over bumps (do not go with the fays2 if noise is a concern, the Whiteline actually has bushings and is much quieter). Shocks will be a good choice also. If you do not go coilovers, but rather just shocks and lowering springs, go with Koni Yellows, they will let you adjust the rebound (a little goes a long way, I race at 1/4 turn over soft front and 3/4 turn over soft rear). For bad roads, definitely do bushings in your control arms, instead of Heim joints, those ride rough. If you go coilovers, be conservative with your spring choice (no more than 450 front and 275 rear), and use the dampers to compensate (GOOD dampers will stand out from the pack here against the not so good options). Light wheels will be nice because they transmit less impact to the damper (less weight moving upwards means less jar from the pothole). Brake pads do not change the roughness of ride, but really aggressive pads will make a bit of noise under gentle braking. Some tires will make more noise and transmit some extra feel, but not much, just turn the radio on to around five percent volume and you can't hear it.

Awesome! Really appreciate the help man. I'm going to start putting together my build list soon so I'll be keeping all that in mind while I put everything together.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If its Bags you want then I would say AirLift Performance there newer kit is the most adjustable you can buy. Air up from 45 psi on up and 30 way adjustable shocks and struts you can find the right ride and handing you are looking for. If you would go that way I would lengthen the shocks and struts one half inch so you could run the least amount of air to get best ride and a good ride height. I also installed subframes and for some reason it made it ride smoother. As for traction as others have said UCA and bracket LCA and bracket panhard bar a must. Have MTs and all of the above and still get loose in third with GT. With your power good luck and nice ride.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak 14 View Post
If its Bags you want then I would say AirLift Performance there newer kit is the most adjustable you can buy. Air up from 45 psi on up and 30 way adjustable shocks and struts you can find the right ride and handing you are looking for. If you would go that way I would lengthen the shocks and struts one half inch so you could run the least amount of air to get best ride and a good ride height. I also installed subframes and for some reason it made it ride smoother. As for traction as others have said UCA and bracket LCA and bracket panhard bar a must. Have MTs and all of the above and still get loose in third with GT. With your power good luck and nice ride.

I can't really decide witch way I want to go because there's a lot of pros and cons about each option. Is getting loose in 3rd the only downside to bags that you've had?

Old 07-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Lol. Oh the problems we face.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Lol. Oh the problems we face.

Yeah, there's got to be some point of compromise. Now I just have to determine where that point of compromise is.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Lol. Well, if you have Goodyear eagles, it'll never happen. I been working towards nittos. Just 250 each rear. Gets expensive in a hurry.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Lol. Well, if you have Goodyear eagles, it'll never happen. I been working towards nittos. Just 250 each rear. Gets expensive in a hurry.

Tires are another thing I'll have to make a decision on. I'll decide after doing the rest of the mods. I currently have pilot super sports and they do nothing but spin all the way to 3rd and sometimes in 4th. TC off below. Those are mine in the right lane
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436052126.170454.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	186511

Old 07-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Oh jeez. You may need big tires lol. The guys usually are fans of the pilots.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
No its not the bags its just finding something to hookup. The bags are great lift to get over speed bumps ride at whatever drop you like. Very stable on turns no roll can set it soft or firm. But cost some coin I had lowering springs then went to Bags no springs on AirLift.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang