Mustang Evolution Forum banner

07 Shelby clutch

4K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Ubnbit 
#1 ·
I know this is an old topic but it's obviously a new problem for me. I'm having the lovely clutch problems these cars are notorious for. I'm looking at clutch options. I know McLeod RXT is probably the most recommended clutch but what about the Spec stage 3+ (notice the +, it's important). Price wise, there is a huge difference. What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated.

#5 ·
Geez. I have that fear. Paying that much money for something and it not being right. It's gonna be over a thousand dollars, it better work right the first time. And, that Spec SS trim, they get up there quick. Around $1,500. I'm thinking it'll be McLeod, when I can afford it. At this point, it's the worlds largest paper weight.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Looked at ACT, not too many good things said about them. Anybody have any experience with them on our cars?

#6 ·
I'm wondering if I call the Ford dealership here, where I did not buy the car, if they will help any at all. I think the tsb went up to 50k miles. I'm at like 52.

#8 ·
Thank you sir! I'm gonna try this week and see what I get.

#9 ·
Just a little update. I went ahead and bought the McLeod RXT. I'm going to try to install it myself (me and my brother). Sounds like it's going to be a fun time lol.

#11 ·
Clutch is in. Breaking it in.

#13 ·
The hiss should have been my first sign. But with added power, slippage instantly became an issue. There are several TSBs out there on it.

Reactions: OneGT500
#14 ·
I am sorry if I did not reply and say thank you for your answer in a timely manner, family issues have consumed me for way too many months.... I am curious now that you have had the McLeod installed...are you pleased with the results "post installation"? Again my apologies for not getting back to you with a "Thank you"... My 07 still has less than 20K...I noticed for the first time a very slight hissing noise when backing up in the garage yesterday.... Thank you

#15 ·
It will only get worse. Sorry it took me some time as well. Not on as much as I used to be. The McLeod is amazing. Everything it's cracked up to be. It made it like driving a different car with how much better/easier it shifts. It takes some time go get used to the release point but other than that, it's definitely worth the money.

#17 ·
Yes sir. I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Clutch and flywheel package.

#19 ·
That's normal for the 07-09 clutch apparently. Most of the used ones you see on SVTP that were driven much at all have had the RXT done along with all the bolt ons and half the time a TVS. Saw an 07 with 32k miles local to me sell with EVERYTHING already done including a TVS making 620 conservatively on pump gas for $30k. Not sure how you can beat that value except by buying a late 90s Viper.

#20 ·
I have (just bought) a Shelby GT 2008 with clutch vibration as well, in a nutshell the clutch should be McLoad?.
It looks ( I didnt open yet) it must include the flywheel. Is Amazon the best price?. Somebody could give me link, I m afrai about a wrong choice/specification?.Thks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#21 ·
You bought a Shelby gt or a Shelby gt500?

#23 ·
If you aren't going to DIY just take your car to Ford and have them put in the 2010 clutch and flywheel. The 2010 setup is a dual disc clutch and is very good. It is actually the final "fix" in the Ford TSB so they'll know exactly what to do. I think there were 4 TSBs total for the 07-09 clutch issue and that final one was basically "screw it, replace it all".

#26 · (Edited)
There are videos on YouTube of a guy changing it. The tranny has to be rotated 180 degrees to drop out of the tunnel. Don't forget to order a throw out bearing. The OEM clutch in the 07-09 is a single disk. The replacement is a twin in 2010 as Scotty has said. The McLeod I put in mine was a complete kit and rated for 1000 hp, not that I'll ever get there. I'm very happy with the RXT.

#27 ·
Do you have lift access? Do you have an entire day to work on the lift with the ability to leave the car overnight and come back the next day to finish? If not then get a shop to do it.

#28 ·
^ That's the best advice you will get lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.