Does the GT500 deserve Ecoboost Technology? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Does the GT500 deserve Ecoboost Technology?

Hey guys! My name is MSP.Ecoboost! I'm a mustang owner with a passion for all platforms of mustang! What brings me to this forum is of urgent concern! I'm trying to stop for from making a big mistake! That is supercharging another GT500!! Ad you mist know, the GT500 has been supercharged twice in one generation for the S197 platform! Its my feeling since everything under Fords current line up is using Ecoboost technology!

1. 2017 Ford GT
2.F150
3.Fusion
4.Focus
5.Raptor
6.Ecoboost Mustang

If theses cars are worthy enough for Ecoboost technology, why not the Flagship of Fords sports csrs , not allowed to be produced from the factory with this awesome and proven technology! The Ford GT tops out at 216mph! The GT500 should have s 5.0L V8 Twin 55mm Ecoboost Turbo setup with FMIC! Help me save the 2019 GT500 from a disaster!

Post your feelings and let's spread the word! Thank you!!
msp.ecoboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The S550 platform is too important to waste on supercharging! They heat soak before 200mph! Its imperative to use Ecoboost technology to prevent heatsoaking!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I think that the fact that you can just buy a factory warranted dealer installed supercharger for the Coyote precludes Ford from installing one on the GT500.
And they do seem to have gone all "turbo crazy" as of late...
It is only logical that they use a Ecoboost engine of some sort.

It will need more than whatever engine that they choose to really be spectacular though. Hopefully the engineers are feverishly working away at their drafting tables, making calculations with their slide-rules, and coming up with a way to make exactly that happen!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 03:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I think that the fact that you can just buy a factory warranted dealer installed supercharger for the Coyote precludes Ford from installing one on the GT500.
And they do seem to have gone all "turbo crazy" as of late...
It is only logical that they use a Ecoboost engine of some sort.

It will need more than whatever engine that they choose to really be spectacular though. Hopefully the engineers are feverishly working away at their drafting tables, making calculations with their slide-rules, and coming up with a way to make exactly that happen!
Thanks Straybullit! I totally agree!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If Ford DOESN'T put a hopped up version of the TT 3.5 Eco that they have in the F150 into the new GT500 and make some version of it optional in the 2020 GT they are stupid. That motor just annihilates the Coyote on all levels sadly.

Then again... how fast do you need to go? Because relatively mild street Coyotes even back to 2011 can rip off an 11 second 1/4 no problem.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If Ford DOESN'T put a hopped up version of the TT 3.5 Eco that they have in the F150 into the new GT500 and make some version of it optional in the 2020 GT they are stupid. That motor just annihilates the Coyote on all levels sadly.

Then again... how fast do you need to go? Because relatively mild street Coyotes even back to 2011 can rip off an 11 second 1/4 no problem.
Yeah! It would be the first V8 to enter the Ecoboost family! That's saying alit! Needs to run 10's off the showroom floor!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #7

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msp.ecoboost View Post
The S550 platform is too important to waste on supercharging! They heat soak before 200mph! Its imperative to use Ecoboost technology to prevent heatsoaking!
???????????
I have no idea whether the GT500 had a heat soak problem or not but going to a turbo charger is not an automatic solution to heat soak. The 2.3l Ecoboost Mustang heat soaks in normal driving on hot ambient days and heat soaks after one trip down the 1/4 on cool days. That is why the first recommended mod is an after market intercooler.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

We want FAST!!! Or extremely quick. Or even a blistering Nurburgring time. But that car better do one thing very well.
I agree that the 3.5 TT is a strong little engine, but in it's GT "trim" it only produces roughly the same amount of power as the 2013 GT500 5.8 supercharged engine did. The 3.5 Ecoboost seems to do well in the GT, but remember, the Ford GT weighs a good 600+ lbs less than a Mustang.
I really believe that it is going to require 8 boosted cylinders to get the job done with the GT500. Whatever that job happens to be.
I can, however, see a 3.5 engine eventually making its way into a standard production Mustang.

And here's another thing.
The 2018 Bullitt is going to be released at the Detroit auto show next week. If Ford didn't bore and stroke the 6.2 Boss engine to 6.4 litres (390 ci) and shoehorn it into the engine bay of what, in my opinion, should be the final generation of the Bullitt... I'M GOING TO BE PISSED!!!

I'm already preparing myself for the disappointment...
Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Have you seen the frame rails of an S550? Plain and simple there is no way in hell you can stuff 2 turbos in there in a factory TT v8 package. The only alternative would be a Hot V which would require new heads, a new hood line, and an $80k price tag.

A supercharger is simple and effective, and having it on a CPC 5.2 makes if different enough to be exotic. A 3.5TT EB would make monster power, it really would, but a lot of people are too ignorant of what that engine is capable of, or quite frankly like me, just WANT a v8 sound. As much as i am aware of what a 3.5 could do in this platform, it would be a massive mistake to not make the Halo car a v8.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
???????????
I have no idea whether the GT500 had a heat soak problem or not but going to a turbo charger is not an automatic solution to heat soak. The 2.3l Ecoboost Mustang heat soaks in normal driving on hot ambient days and heat soaks after one trip down the 1/4 on cool days. That is why the first recommended mod is an after market intercooler.
Hey dgc333! The stock intercooler does not heat soak all that bad! At the track I ran a 14.6et at 95mph, and it was 97F outside! I raced again using Track Apps and went 14.3et @ 96mph with a 2.2 60ft! Yes the stock intercooler is small but for only 20psi of boost its ok! Also, you can run back to back runs because its an air to air intercooler and not a water based aftercooler!

Straybullit, I'm with you Straybullit, let's see what they do on the Bullet and possibly a new MACH 1 mustang!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Have you seen the frame rails of an S550? Plain and simple there is no way in hell you can stuff 2 turbos in there in a factory TT v8 package. The only alternative would be a Hot V which would require new heads, a new hood line, and an $80k price tag.

A supercharger is simple and effective, and having it on a CPC 5.2 makes if different enough to be exotic. A 3.5TT EB would make monster power, it really would, but a lot of people are too ignorant of what that engine is capable of, or quite frankly like me, just WANT a v8 sound. As much as i am aware of what a 3.5 could do in this platform, it would be a massive mistake to not make the Halo car a v8.
As far as mounting location, they can mount the turbos next to the transmission no problem!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I can almost guarantee that no factory option will mount the turbos below the oil pan and rely on scavenging pumps to get the oil out of the turbos. Again, it's not a matter of making them fit, it's making them fit in a reliable OEM package.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Voltwings this is an easy problem! Just route the shorty T4 flange headers toward the front of the engine bay! Not a problem Voltwings! Don't be so negative! LOL! Ford engineering can make anything work!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe that will be the "magic" of the GT500... You'll open up the hood and say "Good Lord?!? How did they fit all of that in there?!?"
And "What a nightmare this is going to be to work on!"
Old 01-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe that will be the "magic" of the GT500... You'll open up the hood and say "Good Lord?!? How did they fit all of that in there?!?"
And "What a nightmare this is going to be to work on!"
LOL! Exactly! You see what they did with the Ecoboost 2.3L! They made the turbo mounting proprietary!

But they can do it!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Previous related discussion:

A much better GT is just sitting on the shelf at Ford.

Has to do with installing the 3.5 TT in the GT.....
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If the turbo mounting on the 2.3L was actually a T4 flange then we would all be at 500whp very easily! Just pick a turbo and mount It then run your downpipe!

But now the 2.3L has to rely on the aftermarket to make turbo kits!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If the turbo mounting on the 2.3L was actually a T4 flange then we would all be at 500whp very easily! Just pick a turbo and mount It then run your downpipe!

The only way around this problem is buying a $1600 head from Maperformance which has a T4 shorty header that faces up in the engine bay! Found in this link!

Actually $1699

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...waAkr5EALw_wcB
Old 01-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
We want FAST!!! Or extremely quick. Or even a blistering Nurburgring time. But that car better do one thing very well.
I agree that the 3.5 TT is a strong little engine, but in it's GT "trim" it only produces roughly the same amount of power as the 2013 GT500 5.8 supercharged engine did. The 3.5 Ecoboost seems to do well in the GT, but remember, the Ford GT weighs a good 600+ lbs less than a Mustang.
I really believe that it is going to require 8 boosted cylinders to get the job done with the GT500. Whatever that job happens to be.
I can, however, see a 3.5 engine eventually making its way into a standard production Mustang.

And here's another thing.
The 2018 Bullitt is going to be released at the Detroit auto show next week. If Ford didn't bore and stroke the 6.2 Boss engine to 6.4 litres (390 ci) and shoehorn it into the engine bay of what, in my opinion, should be the final generation of the Bullitt... I'M GOING TO BE PISSED!!!

I'm already preparing myself for the disappointment...
2018 Bullitt is going to be an appearance/exhaust/suspension package. Book it...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Voltwings! You know they already have the 5.0L Twin Turbo engine made already! So this us not about designing something from scratch! They already have the engine running! It done Voltwings!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
2018 Bullitt is going to be an appearance/exhaust/suspension package. Book it...
-sigh-
I know...
They'll probably offer an automatic transmission as well.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey Voltwings! You know they already have the 5.0L Twin Turbo engine made already! So this us not about designing something from scratch! They already have the engine running! It done Voltwings!
I'll bet that they have a turbocharged Voodoo engine as well...
Old 01-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

They need to make a 48 valve V8 5.0 Ecoboost Twin Turbo engine! Twin 55mm water cooled dual ball bearings 3in FMIC!

That's what needs to be done!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The stock twin scroll flange is pretty damn good, i'd take it over a T4.

Quote:
Yup, it was tested for the Cobrajet platform and scrapped for ... you guessed it, a supercharger.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup, it was tested for the Cobrajet platform and scrapped for ... you guessed it, a supercharger.
Didn't know that! Well start from scratch and make it have 3intake valves and 3 exhaust valves per cylinder! That is 6 valves per cylinder!

That would be a monster!!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #26

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Hey dgc333! The stock intercooler does not heat soak all that bad! At the track I ran a 14.6et at 95mph, and it was 97F outside! I raced again using Track Apps and went 14.3et @ 96mph with a 2.2 60ft! Yes the stock intercooler is small but for only 20psi of boost its ok! Also, you can run back to back runs because its an air to air intercooler and not a water based aftercooler!
Unless you have a tuner to monitor your charge temperatures you don't know how much heat soak you are or aren't getting. You would likely have gotten that 13.x sec 1/4 you so desperately want if you had an upgraded intercooler.

I took a different approach with my 17 Ecoboost than I did with my 15, I did the intercooler first. With no other changes I can feel a very definite improvement in power up top. Two benefits; better cooling of the charge and less restrictive.

All the Pros building 2.3 Ecoboost motors all say the same thing; the stock intercooler is barely adequate for daily driving.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Unless you have a tuner to monitor your charge temperatures you don't know how much heat soak you are or aren't getting. You would likely have gotten that 13.x sec 1/4 you so desperately want if you had an upgraded intercooler.

I took a different approach with my 17 Ecoboost than I did with my 15, I did the intercooler first. With no other changes I can feel a very definite improvement in power up top. Two benefits; better cooling of the charge and less restrictive.

All the Pros building 2.3 Ecoboost motors all say the same thing; the stock intercooler is barely adequate for daily driving.
I don't doubt a bigger cooler would be better! In my S197 4.0 I had a 4in thick intercooler
I won't argue! I plan on upgrading!

Congrats on 2017 Ecoboost!!

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Also I do have an IAT gauge!

Intake air temp!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So you think a supercharger, huh Volt?
It actually shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. They seem to be doing the same thing over and over again.
Probably another car that's good for doing burnouts and not much more.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Here you go Dgc333

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180114_112019.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	250521
Old 01-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you think a supercharger, huh Volt?
It actually shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. They seem to be doing the same thing over and over again.
Probably another car that's good for doing burnouts and not much more.
Exactly! Superchargers are not good for 1/4 mile or road course racing! At track they have too wait 1hr in between runs, and on a road course they heat soak after the first lap!

Completely worthless! Totally!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Exactly! Superchargers are not good for 1/4 mile or road course racing! At track they have too wait 1hr in between runs, and on a road course they heat soak after the first lap!

Completely worthless! Totally!
So that's why all the dragsters have superchargers and not turbos?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
So that's why all the dragsters have superchargers and not turbos?
For normal people at the drag strip. They wait 1 to 2 he's between runs! It sucks! Turbo guys get right back to the line and keep racing!

Supechargers are just a fad! Nobody wants them anymore!
Old 01-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Superchargers may heat soak, but I think that the Challenger Demon’s solution to route the air conditioner output to the intercooler was a brilliant solution!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Superchargers may heat soak, but I think that the Challenger Demon’s solution to route the air conditioner output to the intercooler was a brilliant solution!
Sounds cool Gaurd 5.0! Ingenious!!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
It is brilliant!
And it is along those lines tha Ford should be thinking for the GT500. Something that will make everyone say "WOW!!! Look at that! I never dreamed that they could do such a thing!"
It needs to be a car unlike any Mustang that we have ever seen roll out of the factory doors.
A super Mustang, if you will. A car that will make a Z06 owner bow his head in shame. One that will have a Demon owner saying "No thanks! I want no part of that car!!!
A pony that we can all be proud of!
I think that the entire Mustang community deserves it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Shelby Mustang