making my 02 stage 1 a stage3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
making my 02 stage 1 a stage3

So i been thinking for a couple of months now to make my stage 1 into a stage 2 but the question i keep facing my self with is. If is worth it? Would it be better in the long run to just buy a latest roush model(like a 06 stage 3) or would it b cheaper to turn it into a stage 3?. Please help i appreciated.
memo232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #2

Region: Florida
I have a 02 stage 1 GT that I have turned into a stage 3 or better over the years. If the car is paid for and no major damage I'd say go for it! Much cheaper than payments on a new Roush. If u need pointers in the right direction where to get parts(suspension, engine, blower) or just how to do something, feel free to contact me. I'll send u my info if u want to reply to the post. Take care and good luck
Ryan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you!!!! I went to reddit and they started being *****es about it. Yes its pay for, no mayor problems, although it might need a new clutch. By the way any long lasting new clutch you might recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

I'm actually still on my first clutch. Second engine and trans due to a kenne bell at 14 psi but amazing enough the stock clutch was in great shape when I pulled it so I saved the money and have had no problems. Sorry ive got no great suggestions on that one! But I can tell u whatever clutch u go with, make sure u get the flywheel resurfaced and change the throw bearing. Unless ur putting out some crazy horse power or at the track all the time I'd stay clear of those racing clutches. Drivability is severely affected. Allot of them are either on or off. So when ur taking ur girl out on a date she will have whiplash by the end. I'm putting down around 500 to the tires and never had the clutch slip. So I hope this helps u. Also the clutch cable auto adjustment if it's needed is to grab the peddle and pull it towards u. If it needed it u will here a click. Also if u change the clutch u will need to do that. Pass that around cause thats not in the chilton guide
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well im not sure about the clutch yet but ever since i bought the clutch has been hard, and when i press on it, it makes this crying noise and the gas pedal is really really down. I thought it was like that cuz it is a roush so i thought it was for racing purposes. It got like maybe 1/32 of tolerance and only goes down like 2/1/2 inches before is fully press
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: making my 02 stage 1 a stage3

the roush dont really hold value great to begin with due to the vin number is just a GT's and its VERY VERY hard to get one financed so buyers have a very hard time purchasing them.

I wouldnt invest any more into it personally.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #7

Roush doesn't touch the clutch at all. It is a stock ford clutch. The clutch peddle will be stiff as u said due to the fact it's a cable clutch with no hydraulic assist. That's normal. The noise ur speaking off is most likely the throw out bearing. It is a little bearing that pushes on the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. As it does this it spins. If the bearing is damaged it will squeal or make some crazy noises. As far as the gas peddle, that sounds a bit strange. Get a friend to help u and with the motor off have him depress the peddle while u look under the hood to make sure the throttle is opening all the way. If not you need to adjust the cable. Let me know what u find.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Like I have said before, Spector, with you moderating here, it is no wonder you have so few Roush owners as members. There's a hint of truth to your statement, but only a hint.

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Reading back I can see the issues you may have with my post, I didn't mean the reply to sound as if "Roush are not worth modifying" as I don't believe that at all. I have heard that type of statement many times in owning two V6 Mustangs and I believe they are worth modding just as any other Mustang.

My only point was that the owner might want to think about the investment vs. what you gain value wise. Modifications already wont add much in terms of dollar amounts (supercharging can add a good bit depending on how you go about it from 2-6k+) to what the vehicle is worth (we all have to live with that one). When you add that on top of Roush vehicles can be hard to sell when financing via a bank comes into the picture you can run into some issues that you will have to deal with.

As long as the owner knows this going in then its their choice, I just wanted them to be aware of that. I guess I have been a repeat poster of this point of view ever since a friend of mine tried to sell their Shelby GT for a LONG time and simply could not get anyone to buy it due to no one would finance it for them as the bank saw it as a GT and the value didnt match the owners expectations they finally got it sold though. New or through a dealer its usually never a problem getting one financed, but for a private party seller it can be a headache... I am not sure why its like that but it seems to go that way. I think the newer Roush vehicles dont share this issue and have unit VIN's but I am not sure.

Ill be more careful with my words when dealing with this topic going forward.

As to the original post I would consider the parts and price and see where it falls in what you want to spend vs what you get out of the car after the investment has been made as well as the down time you may have (which can be substantial depending on how its done etc). Also, you should be prepared for the car to be MIA with little tweeks and issues that may arise so you have a spare to fall back on if the car has to be checked or items have to be changed etc as you work out the bugs if there are any that may arise.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

@Ryan866: Ryan here is a video i took of me pressing on the clutch.

@spector V: Well actually i been thinking on buying a 2012 mustang but at the same time i want to make my current mustang nice, but I'm not thinking on selling it and even if i found no later use of it i would just end up giving it to my younger sister. Due to the fact that my knowledge of cars is little, i don't know how much i end up spending although i have a few questions. to turn it into a stage 3, would i need to put in a v8 engine on it? or can i keep the v6 engine. And is there such thing as a supercharger that's for a v6? because i cant find none. By the way thanks for the advice, i do take every advice and take it into consideration.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #11

OMG!!! That is defiantly not what what I imagined. Give me a day and I'll find u the answer. Thanks for the video. It's perfect for finding out what's up
Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Naw thank you bro, i appreciate it.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Roush I believe did make a few V6's but not sure on the history and timeline. I dont believe there is a such thing as a Stage 3 Roush with a V6.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
Reading back I can see the issues you may have with my post, I didn't mean the reply to sound as if "Roush are not worth modifying" as I don't believe that at all. I have heard that type of statement many times in owning two V6 Mustangs and I believe they are worth modding just as any other Mustang.

My only point was that the owner might want to think about the investment vs. what you gain value wise. Modifications already wont add much in terms of dollar amounts (supercharging can add a good bit depending on how you go about it from 2-6k+) to what the vehicle is worth (we all have to live with that one). When you add that on top of Roush vehicles can be hard to sell when financing via a bank comes into the picture you can run into some issues that you will have to deal with.

As long as the owner knows this going in then its their choice, I just wanted them to be aware of that. I guess I have been a repeat poster of this point of view ever since a friend of mine tried to sell their Shelby GT for a LONG time and simply could not get anyone to buy it due to no one would finance it for them as the bank saw it as a GT and the value didnt match the owners expectations they finally got it sold though. New or through a dealer its usually never a problem getting one financed, but for a private party seller it can be a headache... I am not sure why its like that but it seems to go that way. I think the newer Roush vehicles dont share this issue and have unit VIN's but I am not sure.

As to the original post I would consider the parts and price and see where it falls in what you want to spend vs what you get out of the car after the investment has been made as well as the down time you may have (which can be substantial depending on how its done etc). Also, you should be prepared for the car to be MIA with little tweeks and issues that may arise so you have a spare to fall back on if the car has to be checked or items have to be changed etc as you work out the bugs if there are any that may arise.
Spector is right of course that the bank will value off of a gt if that was the original car. Basically the person if they are selling has to understand that they will need to sell it privately and it may take a long time. Any modified vehicle that retains the original vin will be this way...unfortunately
Old 03-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #15

Ok brother I asked a guy I work with that works during the day at a ford dealership and said that it has to be throw out bearing. When u take it down to that level u can check the clutch as well. Might not be a bad idea to change it since ur already there. But good news is that it's not the tranny. Nothing major or expensive.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #16

Ok I've tried to ignore the other posts against roush mustangs but enough is enough. First things first! Cars are not an investment! Any dollar that u put into a car, if it be a 2012 or a 1999 u will not get back. And u shouldn't think in those terms like it will bring a profit. Car modification is a hobby. It makes the owner happy for what they've accomplished. If u want an investment, go buy a house. If ur car is paid for there Is no problem buying upgrades for the car. My friend pays over 600 a month for his new mustang. If I put 600 a month into my car it will be some **** u see on cribs. And of that 600 a month he pays, MORE THAN HALF goes to interest and by the time he pays it off, he would have spent 35k on a car that is worth 12k at that time. Now I'm not saying that's not a way to go. I bought mine new and took that hit. but I take offense to people stating it's not worth putting money into an older mustang or a particular model. Sure u won't see the money back but neither will u on a new stang. FORUMS ARE FOR HELPING ONE ANOTHER OUT!! period. I joined this one to help and learn from others. How to fix and modify and enjoy the sport. Not to sit here and listen to people downing each others rides. So encourage each other and help each other out. Most don't have the money nor the credit to drive off in a 2012 saleen, roush, shelby, or whatever. I've said what I have to say so go forward with encouraging the sport please. Thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

I was so pissed I almost quit the forum. I went to a Roush forum and they were having the same discussion... I was feeling down... I came back here today and read this and I feel better. Thanks for your response, I guess I was being a little sensitive..

Quote:
Those words were all I needed, thanks...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

This subject, i'm saying now is along the same lines, just a tad bit off, but Many of you already know this, but some may not be aware: It is very, very important that you Log down, the items/mods you did to your car, that is soo, soo helpful to anyone/everyone, that works on or even buys your car. For them to know exactly what they are dealing with is crutial. My son bought a SS Monte Carlo, The dealership, could only guess at what was done to it, as I got down to a long, long inside and out look at it, we discovered it has had some work done to it, I had to look at parts and serial numbers to figure out what has been change. That was hard and tiring work done.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan866
Ok brother I asked a guy I work with that works during the day at a ford dealership and said that it has to be throw out bearing. When u take it down to that level u can check the clutch as well. Might not be a bad idea to change it since ur already there. But good news is that it's not the tranny. Nothing major or expensive.
Phew, alright then i might go biy it this weekend but first i got to find a place to park my car to work on since my drive way is sloped, it be nice if i had a garage or a car lift..or both haha. Also im still having trouble choosing a clutch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang