2013 RS3 625 HP Upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
2013 RS3 625 HP Upgrade

Has anyone done the Roush 625 HP Upgrade. It is Roush part #421389. It is made by Roush and looks like a simple install. I would be interested in hearing about it. How bad did it hit your gas mileage? Any difference in street driving ?. How about cost ?
It lists for $799.99 with Roush Performance. Any one find a deal?

Thanks
Scotty in Seattle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Roush 008 (640x360).jpg
Views:	774
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	143788  
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 1 View Post
Has anyone done the Roush 625 HP Upgrade. It is Roush part #421389. It is made by Roush and looks like a simple install. I would be interested in hearing about it. How bad did it hit your gas mileage? Any difference in street driving ?. How about cost ?
It lists for $799.99 with Roush Performance. Any one find a deal?

Thanks
Scotty in Seattle
I can not help you at all. What I can say, and I am sure others will chime in with is:

HOT DAM. That is a gorgeous Mustang. It is mean and beautiful. Sexy, but aggressive. Like, a model who is strong but not grossly muscular.. Lol

Seriously, that car is wall paper/poster material.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I was looking into the same thing for my 2013 RS3 about 6 months ago. I almost pulled the trigger on the Roush 625HP upgrade but was weary about changing the pulley on the supercharger. The pulley on my car has welds around the bolts so if the pulley is removed, Ford and Roush would be able to tell the car has been modded and my warranty would be gone. I did a ton of research and opted to go with the Brenspeed 710R upgrade package. The kit includes Roush's cold air intake, an SCT tuner with Brenspeed custom tune, and a Kenne Belle Boost a pump and costs around $1200. What's better about this kit is the intake can easily be switched back to stock and the tune can easily be removed via the handheld tuner and put back to stock. Ford really can not tell the car was previously flashed with the Brenspeed calibration, and if for some reason they could, they would have to do some serious digging and still probably couldn't prove it. For me this was most important because the car was new and didn't want to void my warranty right out of the gate, but I still wanted more power. Roush's upgrade packages are top quality but their tunes are very conservative. You can do less modifying and make more power with a more aggressive tune. Brenspeed as a company is still conservative though. They do a lot of testing and their tunes are safe. Any questions let me know. Hope this helps.
2013 Roush Stage 3 M6 Roush CAI, 82mm pulley, ID1000's, KB BAP, Vossen CV3 20x9-20x10.5, Michelin Pilot SS, Lethal O/R X, GT500 axleback, Barton Shifter with 2-post bracket, Clutch Line Upgrade, Boss Trans Cooler, Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, BMR Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline Trans Bushing, BMR LCA's with Relo Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, GT500 STB, Steeda X-Brace, Steeda rear sway, JLT Oil Separator, GT500 Diff Cover, Afco Heat Exchanger, 170* T-stat, Tint, RP Fluids, aeroforce interceptors///688rwhp 605lb/ft torque cornfed
Camron502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Camron

That is great information. From what I have read our 2013's already have the 85 mm supercharger pulley so it is not necessary to change the pulley and belt. I may give Brenspeed a call and talk to them about their set up. I just don't want to get to much power with out changing internals in the engine. I also agree with you about losing the warranty on the new car. That has been a consideration when deciding on mod's that I want to do. I have sort of decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with the 625 HP upgrade but maybe I will do a little more research..
Do you have some pictures of your new car. Maybe one with the Roush CAI also.
Thanks for the reply and hope to talk again

Scotty in Seattle
Old 01-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I found that out later about the 85mm pulley already being installed, so I felt like I was paying for something I already had. The biggest draw back for me and the Roush upgrade packages was that you have to send the ECU back to Roush to get flashed. If I were to have done that, then the modification is documented with Roush and they make it clear that it voids the warranty. The Brenspeed package uses the SCT tuner and can be installed and removed easily for trips to the dealer or smog or any other reason. The guys at Brenspeed treated me right and were extremely knowledgable. They also sell the Roush upgrade packages so they can give you kind of an unbiased recommendation. All in all, I am extremely happy with my setup from them.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Go to the off topic forum photos and videos, and I have some pics in there.
2013 Roush Stage 3 M6 Roush CAI, 82mm pulley, ID1000's, KB BAP, Vossen CV3 20x9-20x10.5, Michelin Pilot SS, Lethal O/R X, GT500 axleback, Barton Shifter with 2-post bracket, Clutch Line Upgrade, Boss Trans Cooler, Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, BMR Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline Trans Bushing, BMR LCA's with Relo Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, GT500 STB, Steeda X-Brace, Steeda rear sway, JLT Oil Separator, GT500 Diff Cover, Afco Heat Exchanger, 170* T-stat, Tint, RP Fluids, aeroforce interceptors///688rwhp 605lb/ft torque cornfed
Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron502 View Post
I found that out later about the 85mm pulley already being installed, so I felt like I was paying for something I already had. The biggest draw back for me and the Roush upgrade packages was that you have to send the ECU back to Roush to get flashed. If I were to have done that, then the modification is documented with Roush and they make it clear that it voids the warranty. The Brenspeed package uses the SCT tuner and can be installed and removed easily for trips to the dealer or smog or any other reason. The guys at Brenspeed treated me right and were extremely knowledgable. They also sell the Roush upgrade packages so they can give you kind of an unbiased recommendation. All in all, I am extremely happy with my setup from them.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Go to the off topic forum photos and videos, and I have some pics in there.
You really have me thinking now. Losing the warranty does bother me. I found some of your pictures and the wheels look sick on your car. I know those tires are some of the best out there. Did you post any pictures of the Roush CAI installed on your car? Maybe I just could not find them. Thanks for all the info.

Later
Scotty
Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

You really have me thinking now. Losing the warranty does bother me. I found some of your pictures and the wheels look sick on your car. I know those tires are some of the best out there. Did you post any pictures of the Roush CAI installed on your car? Maybe I just could not find them. Thanks for all the info.

Later
Scotty
I do remember hearing about that. The Roush RS3 keeps the warranty, but the 625 package only keeps a 90 day warranty from Roush, or no warranty at all. I can't remember which one it is- but it's not great.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quick note: when you reflash a car and put it back to stock, Roush and/or Ford CAN tell that the ECU was reflashed if they have access to it. The ECU keeps count of the reflashes done to it. I believe that if you damage the engine and claim warranty, there is a chance they will request the ECU check.
El Fufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
2013 RS3 625 HP Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fufi View Post
Quick note: when you reflash a car and put it back to stock, Roush and/or Ford CAN tell that the ECU was reflashed if they have access to it. The ECU keeps count of the reflashes done to it. I believe that if you damage the engine and claim warranty, there is a chance they will request the ECU check.

This man is correct, Ford and Roush can tell if it's been flashed, this started with the 2011's... With any major repair, the dealer sends the ECU to Ford/Roush.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I do remember hearing about that. The Roush RS3 keeps the warranty, but the 625 package only keeps a 90 day warranty from Roush, or no warranty at all. I can't remember which one it is- but it's not great.

The Roush website states you can buy the 36/36,000 warranty...is that only for the Phase 1 package of 575 hp?
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14rs3roush View Post
The Roush website states you can buy the 36/36,000 warranty...is that only for the Phase 1 package of 575 hp?
The Roush website says that the (#421389) 625 HP kit voids the cars regular warranty BUT comes with Roush 3 year 36,000 Parts Only Warranty...I am not sure how much that would help if a person had problems. My understanding is that this upgrade is a very safe tune and a person should not expect any problems.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Hey 14rs3roush

Looking at some of your pictures I noticed you have the JLT Oil Separator. Mine is due to be delivered on Monday or Tuesday. I got the Clear Anodized Satin. Any problems putting it on? looks like you got yours on nice and straight. Looks great

Scotty in Seattle
Old 01-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with most things said about the warranty however going the SCT handheld with a custom tune from a reputable shop like Brenspeed would make Ford (by law) have to prove that the modification that was made via the tune was the cause of whatever problem occurred. That is if Ford is even able to tell that a flash was done, which I am still not completely convinced they can. I believe a lot of that comes from dealerships try to deter people from making those modifications, especially since Ford Racing makes there own basic programmers. If you go the Roush way, yes it's a good conservative tune but if any little thing goes wrong Ford doesn't have to prove that the problem is related because your warranty has already been voided. It would be much easier to remove the tune and get warranty work done with the car looking and being completely stock, especially if whatever the problem is isn't related to a mechanical malfunction of the engine.

As for the JLT Oil Separator, it's a very easy install and works great. I have one on my car as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
The Roush website says that the (#421389) 625 HP kit voids the cars regular warranty BUT comes with Roush 3 year 36,000 Parts Only Warranty...I am not sure how much that would help if a person had problems. My understanding is that this upgrade is a very safe tune and a person should not expect any problems.
I remember someone else asking about the warranty issue. If I remember correctly, the warranty from Roush replaces the original warranty but you don't get 3 years, 36,000 miles. So if you already have 33,000 miles and 33 months, you only have 3,000 miles or 3 more months. You don't get the whole 3/36,000 to start over.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree with most things said about the warranty however going the SCT handheld with a custom tune from a reputable shop like Brenspeed would make Ford (by law) have to prove that the modification that was made via the tune was the cause of whatever problem occurred. That is if Ford is even able to tell that a flash was done, which I am still not completely convinced they can. I believe a lot of that comes from dealerships try to deter people from making those modifications, especially since Ford Racing makes there own basic programmers. If you go the Roush way, yes it's a good conservative tune but if any little thing goes wrong Ford doesn't have to prove that the problem is related because your warranty has already been voided. It would be much easier to remove the tune and get warranty work done with the car looking and being completely stock, especially if whatever the problem is isn't related to a mechanical malfunction of the engine.

As for the JLT Oil Separator, it's a very easy install and works great. I have one on my car as well.

I think that your Brenspeed tune is a very good one and I thank you for pointing it out. I went to their website and read about it. I still am not sure if I want the extra power on the stock engine. I may go with the more conservative tune but will wait to decide until I talk to them and my local tuner..

Scotty in Seattle
Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Hey 14rs3roush

Looking at some of your pictures I noticed you have the JLT Oil Separator. Mine is due to be delivered on Monday or Tuesday. I got the Clear Anodized Satin. Any problems putting it on? looks like you got yours on nice and straight. Looks great

Scotty in Seattle

No problems installing it, very easy...took probably 10 minutes.
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty, Did you decide which supercharger upgrade package you are going with?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Hi Camron

Yes I did decide and I have ordered the Roush 625 HP upgrade...I talked to Brenspeed and was very impressed with the set up you have (710 HP). The sales man was really great with no pressure at all. He said they also sell the Roush 625 HP kit and said it is a very good reliable kit. My feeling was to keep my car just a touch more street drivable with no temptation to hurt my stock motor. I talked to him for quite awhile and in the end he thought the Roush 625 kit was best for me......I also found a company that gave me another $100 off the price.
"Hypermotive" was the only one that discounted the price so you might put them on your list when checking prices on parts...I also ordered the "Rear seat delete" kit for my Roush. I am going to paint the X-Brace Race Red to match my car. When I put it all together I will post some pictures. Thanks again for the advise on the CAI upgrade kit. I was very impressed with Brenspeed and the kit that you have. As the salesman said if I change my mind I can always purchase the tune from them since I have the CAI.

Scotty in Seattle
Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the supercharger upgrade packages that are out there, I'm sure you are gonna love it. Will be a great improvement over the 575HP not just in the horsepower and torque but in the throttle response and feel overall. Once I I put the tune in mine, the car didn't feel corked anymore, it was a huge difference. Let me know what you think once you get it all installed.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Ford really can not tell the car was previously flashed with the Brenspeed calibration, and if for some reason they could, they would have to do some serious digging and still probably couldn't prove it. For me this was most important because the car was new and didn't want to void my warranty right out of the gate, but I still wanted more power.
Actually on the newer GT's, in less than a minute Ford can hook your car up and see it almost immediately, no matter if you flash it back, unplug the battery for a day, and drive 2000 miles lol. It leaves an electronic blueprint of sorts, and now Ford has declared that a tune is a valid reason to just void your warranty even if it wasn't the cause. So what I'm saying is to not try and hide it from your dealer, be straight up with them and they may "overlook" it.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #21

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I just took my car to the Roush/Ford dealer for a bad CATand they mentioned that the computer had been re-flashed but he knew that would have to be done to install the supercharger at roush. All they knew was it wasn't the stock program from ford. If you get your program from Roush/VMP/Lund Racing you can just switch back out the intake and return the tune to the stock roush tune and you shouldn't have any issues.
AKRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #22

Region: Arizona
Hey guys new to the forum. I'm an owner of a 2013 RS3 #270. I too am thinking about doing an upgrade kit but am worried about losing the warrantee. My question is can you buy a regular GT computer and put the flash on that and just put your original computer in the closet somewhere? Then if things go bad, reinstall your original computer. Ford should never know that I would assume. Any input?
Mike8212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8212 View Post
Hey guys new to the forum. I'm an owner of a 2013 RS3 #270. I too am thinking about doing an upgrade kit but am worried about losing the warrantee. My question is can you buy a regular GT computer and put the flash on that and just put your original computer in the closet somewhere? Then if things go bad, reinstall your original computer. Ford should never know that I would assume. Any input?
You might be able to but they are pricey.

You can order a tune from someone like JDM or VMP for your stock 85mm pulley and a K & N filter. They come with a SCT tuner that saves your original tune so you can put it back. It makes a drastic difference. Roush can tell it's been reprogrammed until the motor cycles through enough times to eliminate the memory since it only holds so much. I believe about 10 to 14 hot cold cycles. However, I took mine to a roush dealer and they could only tell it was different than a stock GT. The tune is worth about 35 to 40 more rwhp with a significant improvement in throttle response.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The ECU keeps count of the reflashes done to it. If you have a roush warranty they know this count when they give you the reprogrammed ecu. If you break your engine and it has been reflashed by you or anyone else they will know its been tampered with and you will loose your warranty. The counts do not get erased.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum. Great question that you brought up. I think you will get a bunch of different answers and I suggest calling Roush Performance if you want the final answer. (1-800-597-6874)
I did the Roush Phase 2 625 HP upgrade and Roush Performance is where I sent my PCM to be flashed.

My 2013 is RS3 #463 and overall Roush #13-0970. My production statistics state that there were a total of 1008 total Roush cars built for 2013 so mine would be close to the end of the build. It appears that yours would be right in the middle somewhere. If you tell me your paint code and stripe colors I can tell you how many of your cars are out there.

Here are a few pictures of my car w/Roush CAI Phase 2

Scotty in Seattle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040082 (640x360).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	158547   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040203 (640x360).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	158548  

Name:	New Roush 008 (380x214).jpg
Views:	245
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	158549  
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
One thing to remember is that you're gonna need to reprogram the various car systems (reprogram keys and such) every time you swap out the computers
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #27

Region: North Carolina
OR what you can do is take it to a roush certified dealership and let them do it and it keeps all the warranty that's easy. why not just do the phase 3 im not sure where you live but as you see the name our dealership does it. call 704 867-8341 and ask for Caleb Martin or Lyle Sturgis. Caleb is the service manager for roush here
tindolroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #28

Quote:
The ECU keeps count of the reflashes done to it. If you have a roush warranty they know this count when they give you the reprogrammed ecu. If you break your engine and it has been reflashed by you or anyone else they will know its been tampered with and you will loose your warranty. The counts do not get erased.
Like Im said earlier, I went to a Roush/Ford Dealer and all they could see is it didn't have the stock Ford program. They honored my Warrantee.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #29

Region: North Carolina
call 704-867-8341 and ask for caleb in service he will tell you no problem trust me man
tindolroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindolroush View Post
OR what you can do is take it to a roush certified dealership and let them do it and it keeps all the warranty that's easy. why not just do the phase 3 im not sure where you live but as you see the name our dealership does it. call 704 867-8341 and ask for Caleb Martin or Lyle Sturgis. Caleb is the service manager for roush here

I already did that they told me no on the warranty
Cliff
cliff cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Phase 3 is 675 HP and has no warranty, phase 1 and 2 superchargers come with a 3 and 1 year warranty, respectively.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

for phase one you pay an extra fee to keep the original warranty of the car. phase 2 and 3 you only get warranty on the sc and its parts that Roush supplies. read the website product info.

if you buy the WHOLE CAR from Roush its another story.

you can still receive warranty services with a reflash. if you blow up your engine ford will ask for the ecu and if its reflashed it probably will not honor the repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRA View Post
Like Im said earlier, I went to a Roush/Ford Dealer and all they could see is it didn't have the stock Ford program. They honored my Warrantee.

for what did you take it for?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What did the dealer fix that they didnt charge you for?
Cliff
cliff cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #35

Quote:
for what did you take it for?

It was for a bad Catalytic Converter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang