Roush RS my first mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #1

Roush RS my first mustang

Last week I purchased my first Mustang and I decided to go with the Roush RS and I love it. I know it's not up to standards w/ the stage 1, ,2 and 3 but my other car is a minivan (kids ages 2 & 5) and I needed something for my 1/3 life crisis that at least looked the part. I want to add to the performance myself but need some advise on a good place to start. Suspension, engine, etc?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1399694554.423630.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	801.9 KB
ID:	156447
gigs0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Congratulations on the new purchase. Like any new V6 model , a tune is needed to start with to wake up and free some hidden HP and torque. What gear ratio did Roush install?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dude those Roush's look sick wanna trade lol
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #4

I believe it is the same gear ratio as the standard v6 for a 2014.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigs0022 View Post
I believe it is the same gear ratio as the standard v6 for a 2014.
Then definitely needs minimum 3:73 gears or 4:10's.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Like Kona said, aftermarket tune first my man! Kona's an active and fast 3.7 member here so if I had a 3.7 I'd go to him for mod advice (just saying).

After a tune, maybe a UCA (adj UCA if you plan on lowering) and some LCA's.

I am going to take time out of my day and say I DO NOT recommend getting a CAI. The one you have now is perfectly fine and an aftermarket CAI will net you very minimal gains (bad bang-for-your-buck factor). Same goes with a throttle body, throttle body spacer) unless you plan on putting major, I mean major power down.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Like Kona said, aftermarket tune first my man! Kona's an active and fast 3.7 member here so if I had a 3.7 I'd go to him for mod advice (just saying).

After a tune, maybe a UCA (adj UCA if you plan on lowering) and some LCA's.

I am going to take time out of my day and say I DO NOT recommend getting a CAI. The one you have now is perfectly fine and an aftermarket CAI will net you very minimal gains (bad bang-for-your-buck factor). Same goes with a throttle body, throttle body spacer) unless you plan on putting major, I mean major power down.
Thanks for the kind words bro. We can definitely get the OP off in the right mod direction for his new beautiful Roush RS. Depending on the available and willing funds the OP has I can spend his money quick on his mods for him. Ha ha ha!

OP, just remember since your car is brand new and you have a factory warranty, be careful about your power mods because they may effect your warranty coverage. Not saying you didn't already know this but just in case you didn't. Anytime someone does performance mods to their ride, any repairs that fall under the warranty period may be denied by the dealership.

I'm not saying it will void ones warranty but may and can void ones warranty. With that said I was so concerned about my factory 3yr 36,000 mile warranty I tuned my car around 5,000 miles. Ha ha ha!

A performance tuner is a great first mod and because other mods tend to revolve around the tune because you need a tuner for many of them to get the most out of the mod. A tuner is laying the foundation to build the rest of the house. With a performance tuner you will increase rwhp and rwtq, get firmer shift points for the automatics, better fuel mpg, far superior throttle response, car pulls harder, faster off line acceleration. Worth every $ 379 dollars for this mod.

OP, I personally am a fan of the CAI and have an Airraid which I love. Its music to my ears when at WOT and my CAI intake is whooshing and sucking down that cold air like a champ. The CAI will work its best and delivery maximum power gains when combined with a tune and full exhaust set up such as long tube headers, mid pipe (off road or catted), cat back exhaust or aftermarket axle backs.

Another must have mod is either axle backs or cat back system. I love the Flowmaster Force II axle backs!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #8

This is a great start and thanks for all of the advise. Funds are there but I'm going to take my time over the next few years but definitely want to start with a tune.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is a great start and thanks for all of the advise. Funds are there but I'm going to take my time over the next few years but definitely want to start with a tune.
Good luck taking a few years. Once you get your first mod, the addiction and bug sets in. Ha ha ha ha
Old 05-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #10

Where do you get your performance parts from? Local, internet? Again this is my first mustang so I'm new to all of this. Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where do you get your performance parts from? Local, internet? Again this is my first mustang so I'm new to all of this. Thanks again!
AMERICAN MUSCLE BABY. INTERNET. Live by those words. AMERICAN MUSCLE!
http://m.americanmuscle.com/?utm_sou...cAAA&gclsrc=ds
Old 05-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Last week I purchased my first Mustang and I decided to go with the Roush RS and I love it. I know it's not up to standards w/ the stage 1, ,2 and 3 but my other car is a minivan (kids ages 2 & 5) and I needed something for my 1/3 life crisis that at least looked the part. I want to add to the performance myself but need some advise on a good place to start. Suspension, engine, etc?

Attachment 156447
Congratulations on the new Roush. You can save money and find deals on your parts by doing a web search by part name, serial number etc. A lot of different ways to find the good deals. You can also do a search for"mustang parts" to get the names of some of the performance dealers and then go to their site to check for a part. You can also find discount codes for some of the parts dealers by doing a web search for the dealer name and add discount coupon to their name when you do a search.. an example would be myself when I purchased my aluminum driveline from CJ Pony. I did a search for CJ Pony coupon and found the discount and then called them. They applied the discount when my computer would not accept it. Bottom line is enjoy your ride and mod it when you are ready..

Scotty in Seattle
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Congrats on the new car. Love the looks of the Roush RS, and the 3.7 is a fun car. I still have mine and it's my daily driver. I started with tune and a air raid CAI, everyone is gonna have different opinions on the best CAI, weather it is needed or not etc. the choice is yours and just do your research on which one you like. I got noticeable seat of the pants feel from mine, but did both at the same time so don't know how much was from which.
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
hey congrats on the ROUSH RS. I have a base v6 and went to trade it in on a RS and the sales guy talked me out of it. He said they can turn my v6 to a RS but would not have the serial number and be cheaper in the long run. As far as the mods I would stick with ROUSH as much as you can, after all it is a ROUSH, and you should be able to get everything right at the dealer you got your RS from. I have the ROUSCH cia and axle back now. and love it...
my04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #15
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Attachment 156447
Congratulations on the new ride and welcome to MustangEvolution! The car looks sick, and I'm confident that your going to enjoy it and even more so when you begin modding it to make it yours.

As others have mentioned on this thread, generally most people start with a tune and intake, then go for exhaust, suspension, and gears. For your car, the Airaid would be my personal choice of intake as we have seen their system pick up some pretty impressive numbers on our dyno combined with our tunes.

I hope this information helps, and if you have any questions feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #16

Thank you to everyone for the advice! This is a fantastic start and I cannot wait to get started.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang