2012 upgrades - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
2012 upgrades

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and happy to be hhere. Own a 2012 stage 3 hyper series. I've been looking to upgrade to phase 3 from roush for a month now but I have doubts now as to who i want the upgrade from. I've been seeing posts that roush is conservative with their tunes. Could someone explain this to me? How are theirs compared to vmp or others? Also I was thinking going roush because I figured in the long run it would hold its value more than if I went with another tuner. Also there are a couple things that roush could have done better. For one the trottle response is lagging. Would this upgrade help with that. I just feel like its very hesitant when I hit the pedal. Anxious to hear opinions and facts and thanks in advance.
Rosariors3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
The throttle lag would be helped by a better tune.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Nate could I get the car tuned now without adding anything? What could I do with the tune as it sits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
2012 upgrades

Although I don't have a coyote powered Roush; I'm going with VMP. I've heard very good reviews from them, and a lot of very satisfied customers. When I get a smaller pully I'm get the VMP tune. There's one person on here that's running a VMP tune. He could shed some light on your questions. WhiteCali5oh.
He also said the owner of VMP is very easy to reach and is quick to respond to questions via Facebook.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Wow I'm impressed that I could actually talk to the owner hhimself. I highly doubt that I would be able to talk to jack if I called roush lmao
Old 07-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Look up Justin Starky on Facebook and send him a message. He runs vmp. I bet If you were to just get a tune on your car it would feel a lot better than it does now. No mods necessary.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I had the same question about upgrading my car about a month ago. I also have a 2012. I went with the VMP 675 kit. It comes with a smaller pulley, colder range plugs, pulley idler, JLT CAI, and tuner. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. This kit made all the difference in the world. Only problem I had was car would shut off while rolling in neutral. It would start right back up. It was a tuning issue. Justin sent me different tunes until it was right. It's still idles a little funny to me but as long as I touch the pedal a little right after I put it in neutral the car runs fine. I would say look at different power packages. There are a few out there. Most range from 1200-1500. You can always buy a smaller, pulley, CAI, and colder range plugs and get it dyno tuned.
Lildude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildude View Post
I had the same question about upgrading my car about a month ago. I also have a 2012. I went with the VMP 675 kit. It comes with a smaller pulley, colder range plugs, pulley idler, JLT CAI, and tuner. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. This kit made all the difference in the world. Only problem I had was car would shut off while rolling in neutral. It would start right back up. It was a tuning issue. Justin sent me different tunes until it was right. It's still idles a little funny to me but as long as I touch the pedal a little right after I put it in neutral the car runs fine. I would say look at different power packages. There are a few out there. Most range from 1200-1500. You can always buy a smaller, pulley, CAI, and colder range plugs and get it dyno tuned.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lildude why do u think roush phase 3 is conservarive?
Old 07-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Reason I don't trust any Roush Tune is because of how conservative the car came. Even though the car came with 540hp it did not feel like it. One of my buddies drove mine stock and he said it only felt like his 2012 tuned gt on the top end. Plus I have heard of a few RS3 barely beating the tuned GT. with all that power our cars should runs a lot better. I was not going to buy the Roush Phase 3 and have a huge amount of HP and not be able to ROLL. Check VMPtuning.com and Brenspeed.com. Both of those companies are great at what they do. I went with VMP and my car is crazy fast. Plus it was like 300 bucks cheaper than the Roush.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm going vmp . I'm anxious to get it done. Have u raced our buddy since the tune? Now that u have the upgrade what cars do u feel u can eat up? Haha
Old 07-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I meant your buddy with the get..
Old 07-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My finger are like sausages...your buddy with the gt! !!! Wtf
Old 07-23-2015, 11:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You are going to love it!!! Only bad thing is all of the win spin with regular street tires. If you are not careful you will spin all the way through first and second gear. I did not get a chance to race my buddy he ended up trading his in. But I have had the chance to race a two gt's. Smoked both bad. I raced one from red light. I knew I was going to spin bad but decided to do it anyway. Spint bad enough to get sideways and still walked him down and put several car lenghts on him before I let out of it. Not exaggerating but there is no stock vehicle that makes me nervous. I can't wait to test it against the Hellcat.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Pulled the trigger..placed the order on the 675 horse vmp power pack. Made an appointment in August to get it all installed. Feel like a kid on Christmas
Old 07-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
You will not regret it at all. The upgrade makes it a different car for sure. I don't know why people knock the phase 3 upgrade through Roush though...Yes factory Roush tune is very conservative/weak, but not the phase 3 at all. Before getting LT headers I made around 580 at the wheel (100 more rwhp than factory) and put most of the power to the ground. Whatever tune you get, with factory 20's of course you won't hook and your traction will always be a problem. The Roush tune is very similar to VMP. CAI, fuel voltage regulator (boost a pump) installed in trunk, 80mm pulley and tune. It does not include colder plugs. Roush Yates in NC did some of my upgrades. The reason I went that way, they will 100% back anything that ever goes wrong with car. I am getting an upgraded heat exchanger soon. I met Justin at VMP during mustang week. Honestly they have a good rep on forums, but when I met him, he seemed to care less about my questions nor care what my future plans and goals were with my car. So I will stick with shops a little closer to me in SC. Maybe I caught him at a bad time, but he turned me away from using his business after that. I never had any stalling issue at all with phase 3 upgrade, but after LT headers it has stalled on occassion ONLY when first pulling out of neighborhood. I still have not gotten that kink worked out. It only happens rarely though, so I am not overly concerned. Enjoy brother!
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^ bc the phase 3 from roush with the tune from roush is slow. I have pulled the paint off a few of them on MOTOR.

Nothing a simple tune swap won't fix though. Breen speed is still a better option vs roush and they are still conservative for the most part
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Rap: I believe you, because you have one bad *** built motor!!! Let's not act like a regular GT without many thousands put into it will beat me in 1/4 mile. I do hear lots of people say the Roush upgrade is conservative, but no one really backs it up with anything. I get solid numbers with mine on the dyno and track. I find it hard to believe there is much difference between someone with the same set up as me or similar, but tuned with VMP or someone else that will run much different times than me. I have heard people say numbers don't mean anything, but no one really explains why. Maybe you can shed some light. If a VMP tune or Bren speed tune will make me run under 10's, then I will switch without blinking an eye.
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
Old 07-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyzd30 View Post
Rap: I believe you, because you have one bad *** built motor!!! Let's not act like a regular GT without many thousands put into it will beat me in 1/4 mile. I do hear lots of people say the Roush upgrade is conservative, but no one really backs it up with anything. I get solid numbers with mine on the dyno and track. I find it hard to believe there is much difference between someone with the same set up as me or similar, but tuned with VMP or someone else that will run much different times than me. I have heard people say numbers don't mean anything, but no one really explains why. Maybe you can shed some light. If a VMP tune or Bren speed tune will make me run under 10's, then I will switch without blinking an eye.
#'s don't mean anything just bragging rights for the most part. The tune is what sets the cars apart.
How aggressive they get with timing, there is multiple timing tables to change. Alot of tuners will not mess with all of them. Simply bc they do not know how. Ford has so many limiters that you have to get by.
There is NA 5.0's running 10's making under 450 at the tires.

If you have your suspension setup dialed in, and the proper tire you will most definitely run a 10 with a tune from vmp. Given everything is good driver,track ect.

Roush makes a decent power #, but just can't back it up with how the car performs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I think Pro Dyno based out of SC told me the Roush tuner was some guy in Ohio primarily a specialty guy of carberated engines and didn't know enough about fuel injected cars. I guess I really won't know the difference until I run a different tune and compare it to my Roush one. As I said, I make solid power numbers and decent track times when I run different tires. Obviously the factory 20's are not for track use. I never seen a GT run those times without a fully built motor, but damn that would be highly impressive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang