supercharger pulley DIY - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
supercharger pulley DIY

ok so I got my 675 horse kit from vmp today. Have an appointment with my local speed shop for august 17 to install puller, idler, cai, plugs and plug all the numbers for the tune. Me as I am would love to do the work myself. I don't have any experience in doing work on cars in fact ive only changed flat tires. Actually as far as electrical ive installed stereo systems remote starters and powerd door locks but that's it. My question is, is there another way I could remove the pulley without the actual tool? Yes I could order one but if I spend the money to do this once to me its not worth it. I could just put that money towards what the mechanic is gonna charge me to install everything. Its not about the money its more about having pride and doing it myself. plus I would love the challenge.
Rosariors3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
You won't need the tool to remove the pulley. If you look at the pulley on your car you will see 4 to 6 bolts. The pulley ilder is going to take a little work. It's worth it to have someone installed the pulley, pulley ilder, and plugs. I only paid three hundred for those things installed. I put on the CAI and tuned it. If you have the time it's not hard to install any of that stuff but most mechanics can do this stuff no problem where as it will takes someone with little engine experience a few hours.
Lildude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The idler looks like there's only 1 boot and I don't have to remove anything to get to it so I don't c that being a big issue. I c the bolts ur talking about on the pulley likdude , are u saying that when I remove this it should come off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

*bolt
Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if supercharger pulleys are held on by taperlock bushings (idk but think so) make sure to follow instructions. Taperlocks are easily damaged by improper install esp tightening sequence
Old 07-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah man, once the bolts are off it should come right off.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok unfortunately by removing the 6 screws on the pulley is not gonna remove it. Looks like I'm gonna need the tool afterall. Anyways I got that ordered from vmp and should b here Monday, Tuesday the latest. In the meantime I managed to take the belt off the pulley. first i had to move the coolant reservoir to the side Just to get to the bolt that releases tension. Its hard to get good leverage and it really takes a toll on your hand from the ratchet. Anyways I got the belt off so I think that's a good start.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Hate to hear that man. Once you get everything done you are going to have a blast!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No biggie man. It what it is. Il post type results once I'm done
Old 08-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildude View Post
You won't need the tool to remove the pulley. If you look at the pulley on your car you will see 4 to 6 bolts. The pulley ilder is going to take a little work. It's worth it to have someone installed the pulley, pulley ilder, and plugs. I only paid three hundred for those things installed. I put on the CAI and tuned it. If you have the time it's not hard to install any of that stuff but most mechanics can do this stuff no problem where as it will takes someone with little engine experience a few hours.
Lildude when u installed the CAI did your maf. Sensor connect on the opposite side of the jlt intake? The instructions didn't make sense to me on top of that the pics provided were so faded that u couldn't make out anything.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You are dead on. The directions have it being installed on the right side of the CAI. Mine only had room enough the fit on the left (side closest to engine). That threw me off also. It did not make a difference on my car. Mine works fine. Only time mine ever messed is when I had to keep changing out tunes. Whenever the factory tune was in the car it sputtered bad. That's to be expected though.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Also since its on the opposite side is urs upside down?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yep. Just looked at mine to make sure and the small writing (looks like parts numbers or serial numbers) is facing down. Oh yeah don't be surprised if your devider does not line up perfect. That simple part about drive me nuts trying to line it up.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Lol yea I was messing with that trying to get it perfect. You would think that with that kind of money that this crap cost it would fit just right but I guess it's still"after market"
Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildude View Post
Yeah man, once the bolts are off it should come right off.
Lildude u were right. Removing the 6 bolts on the pulley will do the job. All I needed was a rubber mallet and give it a couple whacks. Bro I just took it for a spin and wow what a difference. The car woke up man. Has so much power. This is what the car should feel like. Im in love again!!!💔 hahaha
Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats man!! Have fun. These cars should come like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang