Light Wheel Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Light Wheel Question

Fellas, does anyone have any experience with a lighter weight wheel on their car? I am thinking about replacing my Roush Wheels (39lbs) with new ones (25lbs). Is that much of a difference in rotating mass weight enough to make a difference in accerleration and handling? I know the roush wheels are heavy but I don't want to spin that much money on something that's not going to make a difference.
Lildude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Light Wheel Question

Well price is always the factor. Lighter good wheels will cost a pretty penny. It's not cheap. Forged aluminum or carbon fiber wheels would be great. But they are expensive. Which every pound lost will make a difference, if the car is modded enough. Which 14 lbs on all four corners should have a difference, with good tires.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah man, those wheels are expensive. I figured with that much of a lost it had to make a difference. I love my car but somethings on it make me shake my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Light Wheel Question

I understand I'm looking for the forged Roush wheels. It's a little difficult. They are no longer in production and no one has them in stock. Roush themselves have them for sale on their eBay account. But the all wheels are in bad shape, and never in a complete set. Makes me wonder do they care about the owners of their older models? A rep told me that they have a habit of discontinuing parts for older models. And I'm thinking, "perfect."
Do you have a picture of the lighter wheels you're looking at?

Pick your poison.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I was able to pick up a set of 18x10.5 Enkei PF01s for $1000 new in box. They weigh in at 22lbs. The suspension works significantly more freely.

Recon, thanks for mentioning the bit about good tires, so many tend to forget that tires are the single most important factor when considering performance. If the tire is not optimized, the car is going to be slow.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Light Wheel Question

If I can find decent Roush RR03s they'd be wrapped in toyo R888s. I've talked to a lot people in my area they say it is a good tire for the track. But not for rain, cold weather, and bad roads, and in some cases dailys. Plus the tread design is super aggressive looking.
Forgot to clarify my intent is for road course use and not drag.

Pick your poison.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
What is more important for performance is the wheel's "moment of inertia".

This is a function of the wheel's mass, the wheel's diameter, and where the weight is biased on the wheel. When weighing the pros and cons, keep in mind a smaller diameter wheel has to revolve more to cover the same distance as a bigger wheel (so it has to spin faster and that adds to the required amount of torque needed to spin it).

Reducing weight at the hub does not do much. Reducing weight closer to the perimeter of the rim and off of the actual tire is what you want to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The Great Recon- I don't have a pic of them but they are Rovos Durban. There is a pic of them on Laterestoration.com I seem what you were talking about on e-bay. I know it is some good stuff on there but I don't trust the wheels if they have "minor dent & stratches" glad you guys brought it up about tires. Once I go through these the Coopers are not going back on.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Oh wow those wheels look good. I could swear someone on the forum has them. But can't remember who.

Pick your poison.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, they are pretty nice. If you figure out who it is let me know. I would like to ask him about them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang