3k to spend, Buy wheel+tires to hook or .......more engine upgrades?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
3k to spend, Buy wheel+tires to hook or .......more engine upgrades??

Hey guys, I would like to get your input. I am having a kid soon and need to spend money before my priorities shift slightly. You can see my current mods in my signature. With my current set up i am pulling 617 RWHP, I do have some serious issues hooking and I do feel I lack power in 4th, and 5th gear....as for 6th, I never use. 1-3 feel great! As many people say, maybe the Roush custom tune is conservative, but after Kooks LT's header install and tune it is much faster than just the phase 3.

So anyways, I am planning on spending around 3k. My options are narrowed down to this.

A= Vossen CV3 wheels/tires 305 in rear and 275 up front, staggered set up. I am thinking this would hook much better than my factory setup, maybe wheels are lighter as well?

or

B= ID1000's fuel injectors, new custom tune, upgraded heat exchanger, and maybe some 295 rear tires (nitto's) they "might" fit on my Roush wheels? 9.5 width.
I don't know all that much about cars, still working on learning.
So would upgrading the injectors be worth it? or is that something you would do only if you plan on running E85? I would like to test it, but in Charleston SC we only have 1 station that sells it and it's inconsistent.

Any input from people would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
U know I'm in the same situation. I have vmp. I think I have plenty of power but could always use more. I'm spending my $$ on wheels n tires. Love my roush wheels but they gots to go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and congrats on the baby

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Done any suspension mods?

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1454172263.395856.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	196395

Old 01-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Ok. It'd be nice to see that on the mobile app! Without having to go to your profile.
I can remember does Roush upgrade the rear brakes on the newer cars?

Adventure till you drop.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Ok. It'd be nice to see that on the mobile app! Without having to go to your profile.
I can remember does Roush upgrade the rear brakes on the newer cars?

Adventure till you drop.

Did mine I would assume so in his

Old 01-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Hey man,

The front brakes are Roush 4 piston (wish I had 6), they have Roush slotted rotors on front and back, but the only upgrade to rear brakes is they painted the calipers red, lol. Besides that, they are small and the same as regular GT ones. I did see Baer makes a very nice looking rear drilled and slotted 14 inch rotor, but I couldn't justify spending almost $600 for them. they do look bad *** though!
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
Old 01-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have a 13 Stage 3 and the 13-14 Roush wheel are actually 10". I was able to put a 305 Nitto 555R drag radial on them. Along with all your suspension mods you should hook very well.
If you want handling and hook try Toyo R888. Put them on my car and have the best of both worlds. They are expensive but I think worth it. My car is @ 742 RWHP and 625RWTQ.
SabsRS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabsRS3 View Post
I have a 13 Stage 3 and the 13-14 Roush wheel are actually 10". I was able to put a 305 Nitto 555R drag radial on them. Along with all your suspension mods you should hook very well.
If you want handling and hook try Toyo R888. Put them on my car and have the best of both worlds. They are expensive but I think worth it. My car is @ 742 RWHP and 625RWTQ.

Do the toyos hook
as good as the drags?

Old 01-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hey man, those are some serious numbers RWHP of 742!! Wow, nice man, what are your mods? I didn't see them in your signature. Is yours the aluminator? I was told safely that I shouldn't go too much higher than 600RWHP. As for the wheels being 10 inches wide on 13-14....I can't find that anywhere, all sites show 9.5, I also looked at window sticker and booklets and it doesn't say at all. I have been told that Nitto's tend to run slightly thinner so maybe I could fit 305's....Are you pretty sure they are 10? I think the 18's are 10, but the 20's might be 9.5, I just want to make sure I can fit before ordering. Also, any advice you can give on mods you did would be appreciated! No such thing as too much power for me. Have a good weekend bro
Old 01-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

They're 20x9.5, some Roush mustangs had 18x10 (05-09 models only).

Adventure till you drop.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyzd30 View Post
Hey man, those are some serious numbers RWHP of 742!! Wow, nice man, what are your mods? I didn't see them in your signature. Is yours the aluminator? I was told safely that I shouldn't go too much higher than 600RWHP. As for the wheels being 10 inches wide on 13-14....I can't find that anywhere, all sites show 9.5, I also looked at window sticker and booklets and it doesn't say at all. I have been told that Nitto's tend to run slightly thinner so maybe I could fit 305's....Are you pretty sure they are 10? I think the 18's are 10, but the 20's might be 9.5, I just want to make sure I can fit before ordering. Also, any advice you can give on mods you did would be appreciated! No such thing as too much power for me. Have a good weekend bro
I had my short block forged, stage 2 comp blower cams, stage 3 porting of my heads, return style fuel system, JBA long tube headers, 127mm intake, twin 65mm throttle body 69mm blower pulley 16 lbs. boost and methanol injection tuned by Lund racing.

As far as the rims my mechanic measure them and told me they were 10" either way I had the 305 nitto drag radials on them.

I sent my rims out to be widened by 1" and am now running a 315 Toyo R888 and they hook up really well and handle great also.
Hope that helps.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
They're 20x9.5, some Roush mustangs had 18x10 (05-09 models only).

Adventure till you drop.
13-14 stage 3 came standard with 18"x10" with optional 20" with 275's on all 4 corners with either.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Optional as in basically standard. I've never seen the 18s on a 2010+ mustang. Being I check eBay listings on Roush mustangs almost daily. As for the 20s they are 9.5 in width but still had a 275 tire.

Adventure till you drop.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyzd30 View Post
If you haven't already seen it, you should check out this site that will help you compare two different wheel/tire setups, as far as possible interference. I don't think it can compare clearance between the brakes and the wheel spokes though. You would have to get that from the wheel vendor/mfgr as far as clearing Brembo's.
You'll see that you have to measure the clearances for your current setup and know your current offset to make the comparison. And as you already know, the tires themselves may vary somewhat regarding the width. So you'd want to get the actual tire dimensions from the tire you plan on buying and compare to the metric width advertised for the tire. For example, a 305 calculates to exactly 12" wide but the tire manufacturer may have it a little more or less.

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have 19x10's on rear of my 12' GT. Pretty sure I've seen signatures with 11's on the rear, GT's not just Shelbys, as I've considered going to 11's.
I also have a Roush TVS with VMP tune.
I would opt for spending $ on hooking, although I absolutely agree that the Roush tune is conservative and the VMP tune is worth the $!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang