2016 Stage3...Launch in 2nd?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
Region: Virginia
2016 Stage3...Launch in 2nd??

Hi all!!

Trying to get a quicker 0-60...to that end, is 2nd gear launch OK for this purpose?
Launching in in 1st seems like a waist of time with 3.73's and this much power. Also, I can only get traction control to not kick-in in Race Mode, Sport mode still bogs the car down in 1st.
Also, if others ARE launching in 2nd, at what rpm are you launching on street tires?

Over all... it just seems like I'm not really getting anywhere and making progress till I'm in 3rd.

This is still better than my 11' gt500 that I COULDN'T shift from 1st to 2nd at any fast pace but...there I had 3.55's and quite a bit less power.

Any tips?? What's it gonna break first doing this?

SniffinPopRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Indiana
I'm getting ready to work up the nerve to take my Stage 3 to the track one of these days (2012 stage 3 with VMP's phase III package). I just installed a dual stage shift light with the launch feature. An article I found online reviewing a Roush stage III indicated the best launch that the author had found was 2500 RPM, then dump the clutch, but he was also in 1st gear, with traction control turned off. I'm not sure if that is going to work, but that's where I set my launch RPM for now. But I'm with you, I don't want to break or tear the car up, just enjoy the acceleration and speed.

MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: South Carolina
Launching in 2nd will give you a bad 60 ft time. Let more air out of your tires. You most like need wider tires also. My factory Roush wheel were only 9.5 and tires 275's. Not near enough tire for the power. Now I'm running 305's on 10.5 wide wheel. It hooks WAY better now, not perfect though. I've been told launching in 2nd is harder on clutch also. Just work on figuring out 1st, u won't be in it long but 1st gear is always there for a reason.
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (629rwhp), 543 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe,ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, SCT tuner with custom Pro Dyno tune, BMR LCA's, BMR relocation brackets, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, BMR Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, Steeda X-brace, Steeda Differential cover, Steeda torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing insert and MGW race spec short shifter.
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang