Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Roush let me down

32K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  Allwood21 
#1 ·
Upgraded my clutch with a McLeod RXT and steel flywheel in my 2017 GT with dealer installed Roush SC. Bought brand new. Only 3000k on the clock. After 9 days at dealership and Roush latest update, misfire codes persist. Roush is saying to put the stock clutch back in the car. They claim that the McLeod clutch is the issue and that they sell all the Roush cars with stock Mustang clutch. My stock clutch went at 2700 miles. Anything about 4000 rpm it was slip. I researched the crap out of clutches and everyone is running the McLeods... I need some serious help. If any experienced mechanic or Ford tech who reads this and have dealt with this issue before I would greatly appreciate the help. I am hurting...

#29 ·
It takes a while for the CEL to come on. 100 miles sounds OK. If you had a code reader, you could read pending codes which come on first and after several, cycles, i think 5, CEL willl come on. The engine computer is looking for a consistent signal from the crank sensor. If it gets too much variation each revolution, then you get random misfire code. A clutch change definitely can cause this condition.

#34 ·
although like others way more skilled than I have agreed with clutch sensor. on one of the forums you mentioned the mech did it 8x. I wonder it the sensor is going bad/needs to have the connections cleaned.

OP you will need to update us when progress/madness is made.

#37 ·
Thanks guys... waiting for truck right now to pick up my car... going to be at Dealership who built it on Monday... will see how things shake out... imagine Roush telling me to get rid of my $1000 clutch because McLeod RXT is defective or imbalanced...

#38 ·
I have the same problem. 2016 GT with a dealer installed Roush stage 1.blower. that has been running without any problems. I just replaced my clutch with McCleod RXT and lightened steel flywheel. I now have PO300 stored with PO304, PO307 pending. I can drive normal and its seems fine-who wants to drive a boosted car normal. So now if I am in 3rd or 4th gear and hammer down a couple of times leaving it in that gear, as the RPM's come back down it starts misfiring. It is way to suspect to be happening just after a clutch replacement when it has been running like a champ. I will try a crank relearn just to rule it in/out and respond with an update.

#42 ·
The relearn cleared it all up. Took it to a Ford Dealership and did a quick crank relearn and beat the hell out of it all the way home. For what its worth I would not do a RXT!!! To hard on the MT82. I would do a RST if I was to do it all over again. Get this- I call Roush and tell them again that I replaced the clutch with a RXT, the guy immediately tells me that I need a custom tune. They tell me to call VMP. I call VMP and the first thing they guy asks me is if I did a crank relearn and that it is a must after doing any clutch replacement. He spent close to an hour answering my questions and really helping me out with great knowledge and I was not buying anything-GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE VMP!!!

Reactions: my89foxbody
#43 ·
Awesome !!! Roush said that my car is the fourth with this issue that they have been called about and say that it is the McLeod RXT that is the problem. They went on Further to say that all their builds including high Hp applications they sell are with stock ford clutches. I have spent as follow McLeod RXT and flywheel 936 + 379 +1150 labor/installed then for Currie Ford 279 for new flywheel and then 907.05 to check and fix which they could not fix then 395 to ship to Ohio 401 to fix and then 275 to ship back... grand total $4 722.05.... Roush does not give a crap, Currie Ford in Frankfort IL does not give a crap and Ford Motor company does not give a crap... fellas... Most painful experience with my car having only 3000 miles on it... had I known, would have never bought the car...

#46 ·
No lack of research is costly lol. Look at the price of the car and then figure how much it would cost to do it properly yourself and compare it to those cars from Lebannon. Obviously something is going to be lacking.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#48 ·
I have found over the last year that Roush really gives very vague answers to ALL questions. They do not want to be pinned against the wall on anything. Stock clutch is only going to last for so long but they swear every body runs a stocker- I also just got the latest cal update and I really think the vehicle runs less smooth. A lot of hesitations during normal driving and this is the second re-cal in less than 1 year. How does a tune go bad like a loaf of bread. I am going to bite the bullet and take it to Injected and be done with it. I guess you really do have to pay to play!

#49 ·
Who is Injected? Will google. Am getting my car back tomorrow from dealership who built it. They said they fixed the misfire issue and it was bad plugs. They tuned up the car and ran it with no issues. They compared the diagnostics with two new builds and they were identical. The manager put 40 miles on mine today just to make sure and nothing. After all this money and stress I am hopeful. Will see.

#50 ·
injected engineering is shop in Kennesaw Ga. They tune all kinds of vehicles and they are good! Its a chunk of money but I am tired of dicking around with Roush.

#51 ·
Got the car back last night... great shipper... right to my door at 11:30pm... just ran it about 20 miles... no issues... pulling hard... keeping my fingers crossed...also installed my Rovos Durban 20s 305/30 rear and 255/35 front... that were sitting in my garage... will update in two weeks... but the car ran well... Kudos to Lebanon Ford... trust it's fixed...

#55 ·
Still using the RXT... went back to dealer who built car and their Roush Tech diagnosed bad plugs... replaced with new... they compared the live data with two other new builds and my car ran identical... they test drove for at least 40 miles and no issue... shipped back to me... after another 100 easy miles, believe me, I am soo careful I drive the car like a baby, then boom, on my highway drive home, check engine back on. I just parked it in the garage... felt like a punch to the gut because after two dealerships, Mutiple communication to McLeod, Roush and American Muscle, I am over $5000 in and still coming up short... contacted delearship where I bought it and they have been golden... told they will work on a resolution...

#57 · (Edited)
I bought the car brand new from dealership who installed the Roush Phase 2 SC and other upgrades I wanted. Ford will not warranty anything with my car because of after market. The interesting thing is that Roush has told me repeatedly that they sell all their high horse power setups with stock Ford Clutches. They claim they have no issues. With 700+ to flywheel mine went out at 2700 miles. They said my stocker clutch was defective to go out that quickly. In the end everyone blames the RXT for my misfire issues. I have been told by one expert that the RXT is likely defective from manufacture and is not balanced. They also said to get a replacement but go to the RST which is closer to stock in terms of weight. I am worried that if I put another McLeod in my car and the same thing happens then I would really be on my own. I don't know what to do now. Just really sad that my relatively new car was perfect up until I decided to upgrade the clutch with an RXT. Is there a single disk clutch that can hold 700+ to the flywheel?? Reading about the Mach 500 by Exedy but a tech recommended against. Any advice would be appreciated...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.