Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Oil Catch Can

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  1 Alibi 2 
#1 ·
I have read more than one time that most people recommend getting the oil catch can, there are 4 that I am aware of at this point: Ford, JLT, Bob's, and UTI?... If I got the names wrong, forgive me.

With the NA engines, installation seems to be pretty simple, one end hooks up to the front of the intake, and the other end connects to the right (passenger) side head. No big deal, but what are people doing with the Roushcharger? where have you put your catch cans? It appears that what was in the front of the engine is now in the rear passenger side... I have seen one with a makeshift condenser that was inline, but I am not too sure where or how to hook it up with my supercharger.

Thanks

John

#3 ·
When I first looked at the site I was given a link to the NA engines, and I did not realize they offered one specific for the Roush SC... I ordered one from JLT for the Roush SC... I was just confused...

Thank you

#4 ·
Just make sure to check it often. Forced induction like yours is going to fill it up faster than a NA engine.
I would suggest every 2,000 miles as pretty much the max before checking it for oil.
On my NA GT, 2,500 miles is a little less than 1/2 full.
You will also find out not to try to empty it when the engine has just been run, as the temp of the metal container is roughly the same as the engine block.......:oops:

#6 ·
Just make sure to check it often. Forced induction like yours is going to fill it up faster than a NA engine.

I would suggest every 2,000 miles as pretty much the max before checking it for oil.

On my NA GT, 2,500 miles is a little less than 1/2 full.

You will also find out not to try to empty it when the engine has just been run, as the temp of the metal container is roughly the same as the engine block.......:oops:

+1...empty the can cold or wear some gloves :)

Recommend you check your can every 500 miles for the first few times. Once you know how your engine reacts to your driving style, you can then modify the mileage to check the can as needed.

Enjoy

SMR #8017

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advise... Never used a catch can before... I am guessing about once every 1000 miles or so.

#7 ·
Thank you.

John

#11 ·
I was thinking of cleaning it with brake cleaner or something along those lines... maybe that is just over the top.

Thanks

#13 ·
That is the first time I have ever heard "whatever floats your goat." I looked it up because my mom always said Boat, but it is more funny with goat.

#15 ·
#17 ·
I've heard "whatever floats your goat." but I thought it just a twist on a rhyme. A few of us do that all the time at work. I should have known there was a goat floating somewhere. Excellent.
As for pouring the catch can back into you motor, I would NEVER do that. I'm assuming (you know what that translates to) what is in the the catch can is partially blow-by gasses which is NOT what you want in your crank case.
My opinion, do not pour your catch can residue back into your engine.
I need to get one for my new '17. I'll probably get another JLT. It seems to work.

#18 ·
The JLT works just fine, is fairly priced, is well made, and installs in about 15 seconds.
What more could you ask for? And the black canister and plumbing even looks great in the engine compartment.
And I agree that pouring the oil back into the engine is NOT the thing to do. I only mentioned it as something stupid that I've heard others do......:facepalm:

#19 ·
I have read more than one time that most people recommend getting the oil catch can, there are 4 that I am aware of at this point: Ford, JLT, Bob's, and UTI?... If I got the names wrong, forgive me.

With the NA engines, installation seems to be pretty simple, one end hooks up to the front of the intake, and the other end connects to the right (passenger) side head. No big deal, but what are people doing with the Roushcharger? where have you put your catch cans? It appears that what was in the front of the engine is now in the rear passenger side... I have seen one with a makeshift condenser that was inline, but I am not too sure where or how to hook it up with my supercharger.

Thanks

John
Have been running a Jegs unit on my 11 for several years now, when the 14 showed up, it got one too. They work and I can see when to empty it. Just put one on my 17 F150, 5.0.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.