Throttle body, will it drive without a tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Throttle body, will it drive without a tune?

Question guys, I just got an upgraded larger throttle body. The place that dyno tunes my car is about 2 hours from me. I don't really want to pay them to install throttle body, I would rather save money and install myself.so my question....If I install it myself, will it drive ok? I know I won't yield the gains I am looking for, but will it drive and run and make it 2 hours without stalling constant? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I installed a larger tb without a tune. I guess it all depends on how much bigger over stock it is.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You should be fine.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
idk but with a SC it would scare me. if you do it drive slow/easy......
Old 09-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
idk but with a SC it would scare me. if you do it drive slow/easy......
It should just reach peak air flow quicker. The MAF will likely keep everything else in check until the tune.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
bigger dia = lower AF ratio

this is me thinking out loud btw.

off topic Madelyne Peroux with John Herrington (Steely Dan) last night and got to see a Mclearan

spelling on most of those names?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Region: Arizona
If you trust your tuner, trust him with answering your question.
Mike1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I agree with Mike1010. If it starts and idles and you take it easy, should be OK. As Strange Mud wrote should be a lower AFR, but I would take it easy...
'05 Mustang GT, KB Supercharger, (10 PSI), detuned to 400 RWHP for longevity, PA Street Fighter Transmission & Torque Converter, BMR LCA & Adj Upper, BMR Adj Panhard Rod, BMR Strut Tower Brace, etc, etc.
Gil05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate the advice! I installed today and I will say it looks sick! The car starts just perfect. Now as for driving it....I notice the A/F ratio jumps sporadically, might go from 14 to 20 and back to 14. The car surges in low gears at times. I will take your advice and try my best to keep foot off the gas for the next couple weeks. Tuner can't get me in until 10/11. I will post the dyno results and let you guys know if it improves throttle response at all. I will throw some pictures up also. It sucks because I will be heading mustang stampede in Myrtle Beach on 10/7 and won't be able to do any street racing during it, oh well....It sure looks pretty, lol.
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
Old 09-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
bigger dia = lower AF ratio

this is me thinking out loud btw.

off topic Madelyne Peroux with John Herrington (Steely Dan) last night and got to see a Mclearan

spelling on most of those names?
Sounds like a great show.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyzd30 View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate the advice! I installed today and I will say it looks sick! The car starts just perfect. Now as for driving it....I notice the A/F ratio jumps sporadically, might go from 14 to 20 and back to 14. The car surges in low gears at times. I will take your advice and try my best to keep foot off the gas for the next couple weeks. Tuner can't get me in until 10/11. I will post the dyno results and let you guys know if it improves throttle response at all. I will throw some pictures up also. It sucks because I will be heading mustang stampede in Myrtle Beach on 10/7 and won't be able to do any street racing during it, oh well....It sure looks pretty, lol.
I was heading to Myrtle for the Stampede, but I have decided to head North and hang out with Recon.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Dyno #'s

RWHP went from 629 to 640 and TQ went from 543 to 592. I have not picked it up yet, but the tuner send me the sheet to show the results. I did have them swap the clutch pedal assist spring to a lighter one and having them change/flush brake fluid from DOT3 to the DOT 4. My clutch pedal was sticking to floor on occasion during high rpm shifts. We shall see if this fix works
Old 10-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

More air = more power
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just to let anyone else know that might be swapping throttle body like I did....I would reccomend in the future to have it tuned at the same time. I did end up having to replace O2 sensors and spark plugs. I am not saying this was the cause of my problem but it could have played a factor. I drove it slow, but did put maybe 600 miles on it prior to tuning after throttle body install. Anyways, it missfired on dyno. So had to go through trouble shooting prior to dyno tuning. O2 sensors were bad at 15k miles, tuner said they were hammering my plugs as well. I don't know if I was running lean with new throttle body or what. Again, not saying this was the problem for sure. I have had kooks LT headers since 1k miles and an off road H pipe as well, along with ID1000's injectors. So exactly why my O2 sensors are bad already is not an exact science.

Nonetheless, I am excited to see how it drives now. The TQ gain is very impressive! I will let everyone know if the upgrade is worth it soon. I would imagine the throttle response should make me spin my tires even faster. The HP gains were not much....But TQ throughout is great!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Roush Mustang

« 79mm pulley | - »