Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Throttle body, will it drive without a tune?

19K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jamyzd30 
#1 ·
Question guys, I just got an upgraded larger throttle body. The place that dyno tunes my car is about 2 hours from me. I don't really want to pay them to install throttle body, I would rather save money and install myself.so my question....If I install it myself, will it drive ok? I know I won't yield the gains I am looking for, but will it drive and run and make it 2 hours without stalling constant? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate the advice! I installed today and I will say it looks sick! The car starts just perfect. Now as for driving it....I notice the A/F ratio jumps sporadically, might go from 14 to 20 and back to 14. The car surges in low gears at times. I will take your advice and try my best to keep foot off the gas for the next couple weeks. Tuner can't get me in until 10/11. I will post the dyno results and let you guys know if it improves throttle response at all. I will throw some pictures up also. It sucks because I will be heading mustang stampede in Myrtle Beach on 10/7 and won't be able to do any street racing during it, oh well....It sure looks pretty, lol.

#12 ·
Dyno #'s

RWHP went from 629 to 640 and TQ went from 543 to 592. I have not picked it up yet, but the tuner send me the sheet to show the results. I did have them swap the clutch pedal assist spring to a lighter one and having them change/flush brake fluid from DOT3 to the DOT 4. My clutch pedal was sticking to floor on occasion during high rpm shifts. We shall see if this fix works

#14 ·
Just to let anyone else know that might be swapping throttle body like I did....I would reccomend in the future to have it tuned at the same time. I did end up having to replace O2 sensors and spark plugs. I am not saying this was the cause of my problem but it could have played a factor. I drove it slow, but did put maybe 600 miles on it prior to tuning after throttle body install. Anyways, it missfired on dyno. So had to go through trouble shooting prior to dyno tuning. O2 sensors were bad at 15k miles, tuner said they were hammering my plugs as well. I don't know if I was running lean with new throttle body or what. Again, not saying this was the problem for sure. I have had kooks LT headers since 1k miles and an off road H pipe as well, along with ID1000's injectors. So exactly why my O2 sensors are bad already is not an exact science.

Nonetheless, I am excited to see how it drives now. The TQ gain is very impressive! I will let everyone know if the upgrade is worth it soon. I would imagine the throttle response should make me spin my tires even faster. The HP gains were not much....But TQ throughout is great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.