2004 Saleen - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Saleen & SMS Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Kentucky
2004 Saleen

Hello all. I have a friend who owns a 2004 saleen s281. Mint condition. He wants to do a exhaust upgrade by keeping everything except the mufflers themselves and he wants to do a catalytic converter delete. He wants to put flowmaster super 44's on. How can he go about this yet keep the check engine light off? Any info is greatly appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

jsdoogie91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Canada
tune it.

2012 GT Ignot Silver
Evolution5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: California
I had a 2000 GT but when with a complete Flowmaster Cat back setup, I would suggest getting it done at a good muffler shop! Running with out Cats should not be a issue if the O2 sensors are before the Cats, but agree with Evolution5.0 you should get it a tune afterwards.
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Other
To keep the CEL off, you are going to want MIL-eliminators for the post-cat O2 sensors. They are like $40, but you can make them yourself for a few dollars if you have basic knowledge of electronic circuitry. What they do is plug into the harness where the post-cat O2 sensors normally would. then they produce a voltage signal that the ECU thinks is a "good to go" signal from the post-cat O2 sensors. But its not. The MIL-Eliminators are just electronic devices that lie to the ECU.

Another option is to tune the ECU to 'ignore' the Post-cat O2 sensors.

Your post-cat O2 sensors do not do anything useful except for monitor the Cat's operating condition. The Pre-Cat O2 sensors are what determines your Air:Fuel ratio when the car enters closed-loop condition. You only need the front O2 sensors for your car to run correctly.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:46 AM   #5
Region: New Jersey
If he doesn't want to hack it up he should remove the entire exhaust from the headers back, get an OR pipe and if he wants a dronemaster system he should just get the cat back. This sort of swap is easy enough to do in a driveway.

Just be aware that if he is having a shop do the work, no legitimate shop is going to delete his cats for him as it is a federal offense to remove them. He would have to put on the OR pipe himself and if that is the case, might as well do the whole exhaust himself.

Hand tools, WD-40, good set of ramps/jackstands and a good 4 letter vocabulary is all that is required.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Saleen & SMS Mustang