Boss 302 Laguna Seca or mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Boss 302 Laguna Seca or mods

I'm waiting for the new 2013 Boss to hit and trade my 328i in, but in the meantime I was wondering what the experts thought about the Laguna Seca package. Worth it, or save the money for mods? I have loved 'stangs since my aunt first took me out in her '87 GT convertible (which the rotten b**** wouldn't sell me >.<b ) I'm still a car newb but I hope to learn quickly.
Treiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Boss 302 Laguna Seca or mods

from my experience when it came to selling cars. Would you rather finance something that you will add roughly 100-150 a month on payments? or would you rather put that 150 a month towards goodies that come out as the year goes on. To me its a no brainer. I wouldn't spend 7K on an upgrade unless it had EVERYTHING that I wanted in it. But a rear seat delete? spoiler? front fascia? really... is that part of a 7K dollar kit? no thanks.

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #3

That's what I was thinking looking at the package details. Didn't seem like I was getting much for the money.

I'm wondering now if the same can be said about the Boss and the Gt. It's my understanding that the Boss has suspension improvements and a mod engine that revs higher, or is it a different engine all together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treiz
That's what I was thinking looking at the package details. Didn't seem like I was getting much for the money.

I'm wondering now if the same can be said about the Boss and the Gt. It's my understanding that the Boss has suspension improvements and a mod engine that revs higher, or is it a different engine all together?
Same engine, but forged internals, runners in the box, Special Boss intake, higher HP and redlines up to 7500 and she's a blast to drive!
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736 View Post
Same engine, but forged internals, runners in the box, Special Boss intake, higher HP and redlines up to 7500 and she's a blast to drive!
but these are things that can be added after the fact, right? I'm not all that interested in the Boss badge, not that I don't think it's cool, I just want to make this car as my own as possible. I want to make sure that there is not anything I'm missing out by passing on the Boss. There are a few available at my local stealership, but I think I will wait for the 2013 GT.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

but these are things that can be added after the fact, right? I'm not all that interested in the Boss badge, not that I don't think it's cool, I just want to make this car as my own as possible. I want to make sure that there is not anything I'm missing out by passing on the Boss. There are a few available at my local stealership, but I think I will wait for the 2013 GT.
The Boss is not just a badge and stripe package.
You can buy a GT and mod it to handle as good as the Boss but are you really going to swap motors, recaro seats, torsen differential, suspension.
To each his own. Plus the Boss comes with Track Attack, you can add the Track key, and the Boss owners package. Ford did a great job on this car and all it's goodies. For a car out the box to handle as good as cars twice it's price is amazing.
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736

You can buy a GT and mod it to handle as good as the Boss but are you really going to swap motors, recaro seats, torsen differential, suspension.
To each his own. Plus the Boss comes with Track Attack, you can add the Track key, and the Boss owners package. Ford did a great job on this car and all it's goodies. For a car out the box to handle as good as cars twice it's price is amazing.
This...
You can not upgrade a GT to Boss status for 7k, including parts and labor.. On top of that... It's a Boss
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

This...
You can not upgrade a GT to Boss status for 7k, including parts and labor.. On top of that... It's a Boss
Aaaand, it'll hold it's value better than a modded gt.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:
are you really going to swap motors
I thought they had the same engine, or mostly the same anyway. The point of this is to be a learning experience. I'm trying to get the best performance bang for buck as far as handling, which is what originally attracted me to the Boss. If I can pick up a used 5.0 GT and spend the saved money on mods and get the same result that's fine. I don't have kids or a family to take up my time o_0
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
This...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
Aaaand, it'll hold it's value better than a modded gt.
No doubt they are all correct. The boss really is a great value.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

The internals are completely different and the heads are the same but CNC ported, different compression, head gaskets, intake is different too.. Lol I think the block might be the same
Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #12

Quote:
I think the block might be the same
That's a start.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
That's a start.
I guess lol
Ford Racing has all the parts you'll need available already for the most part and what's not will be soon.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #14

Region: California
GT and Boss comparisons are pointless. If your a ford man you know about the Boss an it's infamous return. Germany is still scratching their heads about the car.

But get a Boss, if you can afford a BMW an the maintenance tab you shouldn't have to worry about owning a ford muskrat :} haha good luck on the decision man
Boss707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
if you can afford a BMW an the maintenance tab
this is one of the bigger reasons that I'm looking to get rid of it. That and I want a manual again.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #16

Region: Oregon
I can tell you from a Boss owners perspective and the specs that no amount of GT add ons will equal a Boss, it was engineered and built from the ground up. Not to mention the shear exillaration of driving a Boss. Go take one for a test drive and you'll be convinced also!
Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

2013 Laguna Seca is only available in school bus yellow... I don't know about
you but I couldn't stand looking at the color... I will probably look for a
grabber blue 2013 Boss 302 down the road once I sell some other things.

Saleen - Power in the hands of a fool!
tfalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its worth it if you pay msrp or less, dont pay any mark up at a dealership
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Ford made sure when developing the Boss 302, that it could not be replicated from a GT or any aftermarket source. The Boss w/ TracKey is a formidable automobile. Especially, under $ 50K it's in a class by itself !! You will most likely not find too many '12 or '13 LS's w/o a mark up though !!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roush P51a
Ford made sure when developing the Boss 302, that it could not be replicated from a GT or any aftermarket source. The Boss w/ TracKey is a formidable automobile. Especially, under $ 50K it's in a class by itself !! You will most likely not find too many '12 or '13 LS's w/o a mark up though !!
Bought my 2013 BOSS 302, and they tried to mark up the price on me another 5,000 +. But I helped myself buy talking to several dealers through email ( this was before the 2013's release). I had the dealers send me prices through email and told them. I kept the best price and took it to my dealer who has a "Price match guarantee". He gave it to me at Sticker price.
DOC SAVAGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang