Do the Bosses have an "oil monitor" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Do the Bosses have an "oil monitor"

Did the Bosses come equipped with the oil monitor warning in the information center? Does it provide you with the percentage of oil life left?
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Did the Bosses come equipped with the oil monitor warning in the information center? Does it provide you with the percentage of oil life left?
Yes. Why do you ask?
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Yes. Why do you ask?
On another site, the question came up about the Mustangs oil monitoring system. It was determined that the Ford parameters for this are based on the semi-synthetic oil that the V6 and GT originally came with from the factory. This oil (like most other semi blends) have a rating to 10K between changes.

Some folks who have been using RP, amsoil, or others that have a longer rating posted by that manufacturer, have wondered why the oil monitor in our Mustangs do not allow for this. We know its because the oil monitor has no way of knowing if you use peanut oil, dyno based oil, semi-synthetic, or full synthetics. The peanut oil was humor of course, but the other types mentioned all have a different rating of "length of miles" between changes. The oil monitor cannot be programmed to reflect what oil is used, so no matter what blend is in the engine, the oil monitor works the same results, based on type of driving (RPM, stop/go, engine temp).

So, some folks have decided (in this other post/forum) to disregard the oil monitor (they reset it when it reaches 100% and run the oil longer based on the oil manufacturers stated claims), while others use the oil monitor (they use semi or full synthetic) and run it until the monitor alerts them (no more than 10K max).

How does this involve the Boss? I was wondering if the Boss had an oil monitor, as this engine is more high reving then the GT, and I know it uses a different viscosity then the GT 5.0. I thought maybe if it did have the oil monitor, was it programmed with different parameters to alert the driver for more frequent oil changes based on its race reputation perhaps.

Can I assume that the Bosses oil monitor hits the 100% used capacity at around 10K? I'm sure lots of folks, especially the Boss owners, change the oil more frequently then what the oil monitor would indicate, especially if it's tracked. But if there are any Boss owners who have not tracked their Boss, does the oil monitor get closs to 10K during "normal" operation?
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's very interesting and I have never really given it any thought as I do not trust the oil monitor system anyways. If this is the case, the track pack 5.0's would have different parameters as well BC they have the Boss oil cooler and use the same oil/oil quantity as the Boss.

Personally, my Boss has 11,500 on the clock and the oil has been changed twice at my dealership and most likely once before that, so I can't give you any solid info on how long it lasts. I tracked my car and had the oil changed the day after at my dealership.

Even though they use full synthetic 5w-50, I will never go more than 5k between oil changes on MY car. Yes you could call it a waste of money but I call it cheap insurance.

Hope this helps
Old 12-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It does help. How many quarts of oil does the Boss hold? I think it's 7, is this correct? I know Ford extended the oil pan capacity on the V6 to 6 quarts (even though the first version of the owners manual says 5; this is wrong and was corrected in a later released copy). Ford said this added quart was to extend the oil changes to 10K.

Thanks for the information. Maybe someday Ford will allow the owner to set some personal parameters into the oil monitor.

And if I were tracking my Mustang, it's oil change intervals would be sooner than they are right now.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It does help. How many quarts of oil does the Boss hold? I think it's 7, is this correct? I know Ford extended the oil pan capacity on the V6 to 6 quarts (even though the first version of the owners manual says 5; this is wrong and was corrected in a later released copy). Ford said this added quart was to extend the oil changes to 10K.

Thanks for the information. Maybe someday Ford will allow the owner to set some personal parameters into the oil monitor.

And if I were tracking my Mustang, it's oil change intervals would be sooner than they are right now.
The 3.7 & 5.0 hold 6 quarts of 5w-20. The Boss and track pack 5.0s hold 8.5 quarts of full synthetic 5w-50.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
The 3.7 & 5.0 hold 6 quarts of 5w-20. The Boss and track pack 5.0s hold 8.5 quarts of full synthetic 5w-50.

Not sure where you are getting the 5.0 holding 6 quarts.

8 on the 2011 (and presumably later 5.0s).
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387553153.483704.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	142319

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang