What Ford engineer says about after market cold air intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 AM   #1

What Ford engineer says about after market cold air intake

I was watching Leno last night as he took us thru his garage with a Ford engineer. They were picking apart his latest buy a 2014 Boss Mustang GT. Leno asked him if an after lpmarket cold air intake was of any benefit to the car. He quickly chimed in with a resounding NO! Bull**** or not. I'm confused. This intake was plainly visible, right on top where all the heat came up to it. Bull**** or Not. I'm confused.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
McLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
An aftermarket CAI by itself will net almost no hp gain. A CAI with a tune will add hp.
The Ford factory tune is very conservative, even a " canned " tune would net some hp gains.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
What the Ford engineer stated was true. In the past, factory air boxes were restrictive, and the CAI manufacturers came to the rescue. With the newer Mustangs, the engineers did a great job with designing a free flowing box and tube to the throttle body.

Most think it's restrictive because they don't hear it. On the V6's, there is a muffler and no sound tube. So if an aftermarket CAI is installed, the immediate sound that is heard when the right pedal is mashed, folks think they have instant HP/TQ gains.

The stock air box works very well with a tuner. If you want some style points and some sound, then go with a CAI.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarry View Post
They were picking apart his latest buy a 2014 Boss Mustang GT.
this was a 2014 302s??
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
In the Ford Performance catalog they sell air intakes, tuners, exhaust systems etc. NONE of the ad statements make any claim as to increases in horsepower. With variable valve timing, traction control and the ability of the ECM to add engine timing if it senses a higher octane fuel being used I wonder, just what is to gained going aftermarket?
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
It was a '13 Boss 302. No such thing as a '14 and its definitely not a GT

As for the intake I'll be sticking with my stock air box
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If I new then what I no now I wouldn't of bought a cai... I bought one cause I got the combo from AM with a sct tuner and it was a hell of a lot cheaper 3.5 years ago then they are now
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If I new then what I no now I wouldn't of bought a cai... I bought one cause I got the combo from AM with a sct tuner and it was a hell of a lot cheaper 3.5 years ago then they are now
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
On my 2012 I opened up the grill in front of the air intake tube. Car went 3 mph faster in the 1/4. Just getting fresh, in front of the car air is better than under the hood air. . I guess it helps at 90+ anyway. My Diablosport tuner has a page that records air intake temp.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
blu
Registered Member
Regular

Company line. Imagine the headaches for warranty claims if their engineer says on national TV "Yeah, CAIs are a great idea."

"Quick like a Snake, light like a Fox. This remains the goal."

blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The stock air box works very well with a tuner. If you want some style points and some sound, then go with a CAI.
+1 but put real performance mods first
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If Ford did that we would have a performance transmission with a usable shifter. One piece driveshaft would have been welcome as well.

We get the pieces from the GT instead of the ones from the GT-500.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why do the Shelby's have open style cold air intakes with cylindrical filters and not a drop in paper filter in a box?
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Why do the Shelby's have open style cold air intakes with cylindrical filters and not a drop in paper filter in a box?
BC supercharger... Lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Like stated earlier, the basic design of the syatems used today have improved a lot. Now almost every factory intake is shielded from the engine and is routed to the grill or fender for access to fresh cold outside air.

For the most part, cold air intakes are just marketing hype. Making the intake less restrictive, in a effort to allow more air into the engine, is a joke unless you are installing a larger throttle body. The throttle, by design, is a massive restriction in the intake. So, a cold air intake is only effective at wide open throttle. And, no matter how cool you think you are, you might... might... spend 20 percent of your time driving at WOT. So, no, an aftermarket cold air intake won't do $#!+ for a modern performance car.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang

Tags
cold air intake