Using handheld tuner to calibrate speedo - Affect track key tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Using handheld tuner to calibrate speedo - Affect track key tune?

I have a 2012 Boss with activated track key running on stock wheel\tire sizes. I will be acquiring some additional sets of wheels for various purposes and was concerned about the impact of calibrating the speedometer for those situations.

To begin, let's say I run a much larger drag tire (29"+) and I want to quickly calibrate at the track. What tools would you use to accomplish this in the best way, without affecting my track key tune? I have read that using any tuner tool may remove my track key tune and I would have to get it re-calibrated at the dealer. Is this true? Even if the only changes are made to the speedometer to accommodate wheel\tire changes? There may be several scenarios where I will need to make these changes on the fly depending on whether I am doing a road course, drag, or street driving.

If anyone can shed any light on this, would be a huge help!
mrsneakyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

Region: Nebraska
I'm told by the dealer that any tune will wipe out the trackey tune.
nebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
From what I understand all you need to do is change the rev miles.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #4

Talked to the SCT people. If I had the trackey engaged and loaded the sct tuner with that ecu configuration, that would go into the tuner as the stock tune. However if I changed something , say the rev miles, and tried to load that into the ecu as a custom tune, it would error out.
So what I'm seeing, the trackey is only good if you're going to use your boss for the track and street, with no other engine modifications.
If you want to modify your engine, say headers, cold air, supercharger, etc, and want to retune the engine to optimize those mods, the trackey is no longer of any use. A choice you need to make.
I have the trackey but don't take my car to the track, so it's really of no use to me. At some point I plan to out a supercharger on, and at that point I'd use a tuner instead of the trackey to change engine parameters......Although I'm really pondering why I think I need a supercharger, since the tires can't handle the stock engine power now!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

BTW, on my 2013 GT, when I put on 20" tires, the speedometer read 8 mph fast. The original tires were 18".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang