Long tube headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Long tube headers

I'm looking on americanmuscle.com and can not seem to find long tube headers for the boss anywhere. They have shorty style, but 10-15hp isn't worth the trouble of install.

Did ford max this engine out from the factory? What areas should I look to up grade first for maximum HP gains.

I plan to add a Paxton supercharger kit in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek302 View Post
I'm looking on americanmuscle.com and can not seem to find long tube headers for the boss anywhere. They have shorty style, but 10-15hp isn't worth the trouble of install.

Did ford max this engine out from the factory? What areas should I look to up grade first for maximum HP gains.

Most of the headers that you see for the 11-14 GT's, will also fit the Boss 302. The engine is the same when it comes to the headers! The best way to see the proper fitment, is go under the fitment tap on the actual product page.

We would be glad to help you out with this. Just give my CS team a call and they'll gladly hook you up! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

Long Tubes are a great modification for bolt-on's and especially for Supercharged applications. If you plan to do a Paxton in the near future, Long Tubes are a must have!

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

So the headers labelled for the 11-14 gt will fit the boss? What about bolting to stock cat back

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes there really is no drastic difference between the boss and the gt

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Really the only engine difference is the boss intake..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
saleenfanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #6

Along with the camshafts, quad exhaust, CNC ported heads, forged internals, etc

My main concern is the factory cat back.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The cams and heads will only yield about a 20 hp increase. If swaped from the coyote ones. They are not aggressive at all. And yes forged to a extent. You could say that.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Everything will mount up to the factory catback. Like I said there really is no difference.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #8

Region: Nebraska
First, there's a whole world of difference between the GT and the Boss--intake, heads,crank, pistons, rods, springs,etc. A much "stronger" engine.
Next, latemodelrestoration.com sells the Kook headers and mid pipe (with cutouts) specifically built for the Boss. However, you're looking at almost $1700, then another $800 to $1000 for installation. All that for only 10-20 hp increase. Not cost effective to me.
Plus, if you put the headers on you have to have the car tuned ($350 for the tuner and about $300-400 for the tune). AND, if you do the tune, you've just lost the use of your trackey!
nebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebob View Post
First, there's a whole world of difference between the GT and the Boss--intake, heads,crank, pistons, rods, springs,etc. A much "stronger" engine.
Next, latemodelrestoration.com sells the Kook headers and mid pipe (with cutouts) specifically built for the Boss. However, you're looking at almost $1700, then another $800 to $1000 for installation. All that for only 10-20 hp increase. Not cost effective to me.
Plus, if you put the headers on you have to have the car tuned ($350 for the tuner and about $300-400 for the tune). AND, if you do the tune, you've just lost the use of your trackey!
No much stronger not really. The boss has powder forged rods. Which are like the rods walmart would carry if they did. And its the same crank as the gt. Just balanced heavier for the rods/pistons. And the heads are not much better than the gt heads they flow alittle more

Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

All that for 15-20 hp more than a gt puts down. Shows you exactly how superior those heads/cams are. Which is not much if you can pick up my sarcasim

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

* sarcasm

Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #11

Region: Nebraska
Gt vs Boss

I had the 13 GT. Wanted to put a supercharger on it, but was advised by multiple mustang performance shops, that putting a 650hp sc on the Gt engine would bring it close to its limit of 500 ft lbs of torque. That was too chancy for me. I had a really nice looking gt but decided to go with the stronger engine of the Boss. I'm getting the 715hp sc put on it, and I should be able to run it without any problems. It's too bad you're biased against the Boss engine. It was specifically built to take punishment!
nebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had the 13 GT. Wanted to put a supercharger on it, but was advised by multiple mustang performance shops, that putting a 650hp sc on the Gt engine would bring it close to its limit of 500 ft lbs of torque. That was too chancy for me. I had a really nice looking gt but decided to go with the stronger engine of the Boss. I'm getting the 715hp sc put on it, and I should be able to run it without any problems. It's too bad you're biased against the Boss engine. It was specifically built to take punishment!
To a limit. My motor will outlast a boss by a long shot. What shop told you 500tq on a stock coyote? Lmao

Old 03-28-2014, 01:22 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not biased against the Boss engine either, I'm just sayin for the extra $7-10,000 MORE u spend on that u could customize it the way u want and it could be a "one off"! That's what I would do.. I definitely love the Boss stang! I'm thinking of doing the Boss stripes in matte black on my black '14..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
saleenfanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

To a limit. My motor will outlast a boss by a long shot. What shop told you 500tq on a stock coyote? Lmao

There's a local guy running 700+ RWHP thru a stock 5.0 and MT-82 with a TT setup.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek302 View Post

Let me recommend Shaun at AED for custom tuning and help with your projected mods. Shaun is getting 35+ RWHP with Kooks LT's and Off Road X pipe added to Boss's without a supercharger. I'm running his tunes on my car and he's the real deal. I'll be adding some Kooks LT's in the near future.
2013 Boss, PW, Recaros, 3:73, AED tunes, Airaid CAI, MGW, Hotchkis springs, LCA's, Whitline Relo and Trans Bushing, Griggs Torque Arm, CHE K Member Brace, '13GT500 Quad A/B's, JLT Oil Separator Kooks 1 3/4" LT's O/R X pipe and other stuff.
Boss949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
There's a local guy running 700+ RWHP thru a stock 5.0 and MT-82 with a TT setup.
My new setup should yield 850-900 through the mt-82. We will see what happens

Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

My new setup should yield 850-900 through the mt-82. We will see what happens

Exactly lol I wouldn't recommend 700 but there's only one way to find out how it'll hold.... Mine didn't hold the stock torque lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Exactly lol I wouldn't recommend 700 but there's only one way to find out how it'll hold.... Mine didn't hold the stock torque lol
I have had a lot of luck out of mine handled a lot of abuse at 650+ for along time back when she was on a 200. Plus if she breaks when the new setup hits. I get to do my auto swap lol

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Now my stock motor went at 611 HP.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang