Anyone build a "real" 4-bolt block/4v heads BOSS? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Anyone build a "real" 4-bolt block/4v heads BOSS?

If this section is only for the new DOHC Boss cars, by all means, please move this to the pushrod Boss section (if there is one). That being said, I would love to hear from anyone who has built (not bought) a true Boss engine using a 4-bolt mains Windsor block and the big valve (4 barrel) Cleveland heads.

Any dyno sheets, driving impressions, tips/tricks/advice would be greatly appreciated. Did you boost it? Daily driver or track application? Detailed pictures of the build would be awesome.

I really like the ingenuity behind the actual Boss motors. And I would love to build one some day. I know that there are better aftermarket heads these days, but I want to build a Boss, and would appreciate hearing from someone who has already built one.

My wishlist for the project includes either a Ford Racing or Dart Iron Eagle 4-bolt block, forged rotating assembly, and Australian Ford Parts or CHI aluminum big valve Cleveland heads set up for the Windsor block. Custom grind cam, lightweight valvetrain. I haven't really delved too deep into particulars because I haven't heard from anyone who has done it. What they used, what worked for them.

I want to build a track only car based on a SN95 convertible with a Boss 302 pushrod five-oh. There never was a Boss model SN, so that is why I think it would be a perfect candidate for a real Boss motor. I would probably try get as much out of it as an all engine n/a build first, then (later) swap pistons/cam and add a Whipple.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I should also note that the AFP heads have narrow intake ports and closed chambers. And the CHI heads also have a smaller intake port cross section. Both of these heads are still too much head for a 302ci engine, but they are taylored to work better than a set of junkyard 4v Cleveland heads. They can also be ordered with the Windsor block water passages.

Australian Ford Parts 4v heads:
[URL="http://www.ausfordparts.com/afd4v.html"[/URL]

CHI 4v heads:
[URL="http://www.chiheads.com.au/product-category/heads/ford-cylinder-heads/4v/"[/URL]

And from everything I have ever read, it is better to go with big heads and a small cam, than a big cam and small heads. Plus, the big heads will allow for awesome performance in the future if I add a supercharger.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
I should also note that the AFP heads have narrow intake ports and closed chambers. And the CHI heads also have a smaller intake port cross section. Both of these heads are still too much head for a 302ci engine, but they are taylored to work better than a set of junkyard 4v Cleveland heads. They can also be ordered with the Windsor block water passages.

Australian Ford Parts 4v heads:

[URL="http://www.ausfordparts.com/afd4v.html"[/URL]

CHI 4v heads:

[URL="http://www.chiheads.com.au/product-category/heads/ford-cylinder-heads/4v/"[/URL]

And from everything I have ever read, it is better to go with big heads and a small cam, than a big cam and small heads. Plus, the big heads will allow for awesome performance in the future if I add a supercharger.

I do believe you need to by my coworkers 95 vert so we can do a coupe / vert sn95 boss build

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
badsheep5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang