Value...30 years later? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Value...30 years later?

Well I have an idea.

Usually my ideas end with me spending money, which is the case here. 😂

I have had my 04 GT since 2008. I bought it with 50k on it and it has about 78k right now. Still in great condition, as I don't ride it much with work duties getting in the way. It stays in the garage when not on the road.

What I see in the garage is a nice, clean... GT. A fun car, but still a GT. And while it does have 40th anniversary badging, I just don't see my pony being worth much money in the future.

Which brings me to my next question - wonder what these 12-13 Boss Mustangs will be worth in the future, say 30 years from now? I know it is impossible to predict the future, but I work with a bunch of old guys who had LS6 Chevelles, 69 Bosses, 440 Cudas and traded them for mere peas because they said back then they were just "cars." No one back then had any idea they would be worth so much.

So are today's Bosses just "cars" or will they demand the big bucks down the road that the 69-70s are bringing now?

I want to be able to pass along a car worth something to my daughter when she gets older, not just "another" GT worth $2000.

Ideally I would try to sell my car and go Boss hunting in late 2017-early 2018.

I have even thought about an 07-09 Shelby, but theres something about those Bosses that keep dragging me back.

Am I crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Value...30 years later?

I feel that a Boss is a pretty safe bet. They are not that expensive and you don't see that many on the road. You can get a nice Boss in the 30's and if I were you I would not wait too long. Right now they are hitting the market because some owners are moving up to the GT350 once this settles out I have a feeling they will be harder to find.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Good advice Dave. I was on EBay and you are correct. They can be had in the low to mid 30 range. Even see a couple in the high 20s with a few extra miles.

Im obviously not looking for a daily driver. Just something to take to shows, out on the town for dinner a few times a month, and an overall investment for the future.

I have a loan on my F150 that will be paid off next year. I may work on getting that taken care of quicker and selling my current car so I can go Boss hunting.

0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Buying a car as a garage queen or investment does not make all that much sense to me. Technology is and will continue to make these cars obsolete. What makes the Boss so special? Some forged internals,side pipe exhaust, and a few stickers. I don't know man, I have driven a slightly modified GT and a Laguna Seca Boss n the same day. The GT had some suspension upgrades, exhaust, and tuned, but no crazy modifications. It was simply better than the Laguna Seca. All these advertisements, car and driver videos, etc etc are paid commercials. The Boss is nothing special to drive in my opinion. So if you are buying a car to modify and have fun, go newer GT and modify it into a street beast and have a blast.

With that being said.....if you like a car to hold value, good lord....The BOSS is the best holding value car I have seen since the Buick Grand National of the 80's.....I can't believe how much these cars are listed for. It absolutely amazes me. After driving one, I was like hmmm as expected, the hype is just hype. Don't get me wrong, I love the BOSS and for that matter all mustangs with V-8's. Sorry for the 4 and 6 cylinder guys, they just don't represent my thoughts of a muscle car. i know them turbo 4's and modified 6's move just fine, but I still feel they sound gay.

Holding Value- yes, you can't go wrong with the BOSS....it would have dropped by now if it were going to. They will hold provide you don't use as a daily driver. Will they ever be worth more than they are now....In my opinion, the answer is no way. The baby boomer generation is foolish and overpays for memories. Today's generation won't do it. Good luck!
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Value...30 years later?

What are you talking about? You can get a Boss with VERY low miles for $30-35k. I think they are a STEAL for what you are getting! Between the brakes, wheels, and Motor are well worth it.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The 60s cars were the first of their kind and made in extremely low numbers compared to today's global mass produced cars. The ones that bring so much are number matching original cars. I would imagine in 20 years the bosses will be viewed similar to an 03 cobra. Do they still hold value to some degree, yes. But the technology is outdated compared to today's standards and people who are selling them for top market value usually sit of them for a while.

There is someone near me who has an 02 firehawk trans am that is extremely rare and I believe he is asking 25-30 k for it and it's been for sale for 2 years.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Since you asked, I will break it down for you....A steal for what you are getting? In comparison to what? The brakes....What brakes? The upgraded Brembo package? Same as a GT with track pack? 4 piston up front and mini brake in rear with a tiny rotor? The boss has no special brakes man....Lot's of new mustangs have upgraded 6 piston up front and 4 or six in the rear with much larger rotors.For daily driving yes the BOSS would brake just fine, but it certainly isn't no track car sir. Try to stop going 120 and tell me the brakes are good....

The wheels....I guess that is all personal preference, I feel the regular BOSS wheels look gay and the Laguna Seca ones are decent (again personal preference) Nonetheless, if you ever want to hook and not go sideways, you would need upgraded WIDER wheels and bigger tires. Again, lots of newer cars are doing this...A little 9.5 inch wide wheel in the rear with a 275 tire is useless, but don't believe me and find out for yourself. If you ever build your motor, you won't be able to put the power to the ground....Hence your Wheels useless. Unless you feel they look good

On to the motor. Yes, i agree on the motor being solid! Is it much better than a standard 5.0 coyote....no it is not...I guess it all depends what you are doing with it. Don't think for a minute that the coyote is not a good motor. The BOSS does have forged internals, better pistons, better rods, heads, intake. But overall very similar to the Coyote man. The BOSS could handle more power if you built it....However, the coyote will handle a super charger without a problem as well. If the regular coyote can handle 630 RWHP the BOSS might be able to hold 100 to 150 or so more. Again though, you didn't say you were a drag racer.

Some negatives that you would HAVE to fix with a factory BOSS....You would definitely need a new short shifter (MGW or Barton), You would hope the MT-82 tranny holds up (some do, lots don't) You would have to upgrade suspension, unless you like wheel hop and a large gap between quarter panel and tires. The track key is ok, but I personally would not be satisfied with that either....so a little upgraded CAI and tune would be needed. The kooks full exhaust would be in order as well, with headers.

Positives with the BOSS- If it has the Recaro seats....They are great!!! The motor can safely be built and last. VALUE VALUE and holding Value....is the main reason to buy a BOSS

A nice GT in that year range can be found for 20 to 25k already modified to be pretty bad ***! You want to pay 35k for a BOSS.....I completely agree if you are looking to hold value. But trust me, that slightly modified GT will drag you *** on a strip and a track. The BOSS is unique though, so being unique adds huge value points for me.

Again, if you want a garage queen to hold value...a BOSS is the answer. Just don't think for a minute it is much better than a GT. It most definetley wont be better than a newer GT...

Any other questions feel free to ask. Again, I am not bashing the BOSS, I like them...But I would also modify the **** out of them to make them what they should be.
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
Old 06-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You act like they were asking 60k for a Boss!! The new window sticker was 42k not much at all higher than a regular GT in some cases less your whole argument makes no sense. I paid 34k for mine with 6800 miles it is basically a California Special with the Performance Package and MOTOR upgrades. Ford probably made less money selling these to us than a regular GT.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What.....? You are not buying brand new period. If you did, then great! You would have made a great purchase. Right now you could buy a modified GT with tasteful upgrades for mid 20's. A Boss 10k more. So if your goal is to hold value buy a Boss bro. Simply put. Will it gain, no period. Will it hold better than a GT, yes. You already know that. If you pay mid 30's for a boss, in my opinion you want a garage queen to talk about and would be over paying severely to say you own a Boss. It all depends what you want. But if you want to brag about your Boss that you don't have, be prepared for a modified GT to beat you in every category for much less money. You pay to be unique. At the end of the day, a Boss is nothing special man. But if you want to overpay to be unique and have something that you don't see everyday, but one.

I'm not bashing you bro. Again, I like them. I highly prefer the Laguna seca version as I like the rear seat delete X brace, the wheels better, and the fact they are far more rare. They may actually gain value.

This is all coming from a Roush owner. I over paid for the name. They won't hold value. I don't care. I didn't buy it to be a queen or for bragging rights and story time. I put 10k plus in upgrades to make it how it should be. I wish I would have ponied up and bought extra $ and got a GT500. But guess what....they made about 600 Roush stage 3's per year, about 5 to 6k gt500's. So I also paid to be unique.

GT best bang for your buck (used tasteful mods). Shelby GT500 best bang for buck and resale, Boss best resale. Roush if u bought used a decent bang for buck, new u overpaid.

It all comes down to what u want it for man. A Boss is a great resale value....but you wouldn't be buying new. So your bang for buck won't be good. But if you like unique and holding value get one. Just be prepared to upgrade, as factory they are simply nothing special.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The bang for the buck is what makes the Boss special! It has suspension upgrades already Wheel hop is almost a non issue, it has a panhard bar and adjustable dampers not to mention the performance package with the Brembo brakes and staggered wheel setup (whether you like the wheels or not). Mine is not a garage queen I use it and it's worth the extra money over a GT without a doubt. You can be a hater I don't care and I really don't care about the value in 30 years I bought because it's a good deal now. You can't take a GT and put everything the Boss has in it for 10k no way no how.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Value...30 years later?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1466876558.841838.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	202821Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1466876590.662325.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	202822

Now go price a comparable GT and buy all the parts and pieces to make it a Boss and tell me what's the better deal.

I think what you are doing is pulling the Boss in to that category with the Shelby/Roush guys. That's not what it is about. It was meant for the track day and autocross guys. That's where it shines and what it was intended. The guys I know that have them use them as such. Maybe people around you have them wrapped in bubble wrap and have them up on a pedestal.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Those both seem to be good prices, I agree for holding value and being unique. I can't argue that. I wouldn't buy one without the Recaro's or Torsion diff. I didn't look to see what these had or didn't have. I have no clue what a nice GT cost, but I would imagine low to mid 20's in that year. Could you supercharge it and do some suspension upgrades for 8 to 9k....You sure could! Would it then be better then a Boss? Depends what you define as better.....I know it would crush it in HP and a race. Would you ever get out of it what you put into it? nope.....With a BOSS you would. I never once said I hated or disliked the BOSS.....I simply said it is nothing special. Neither is my Roush. It is all about what you like and want period. It is all personal preference. I am not a hater, again I like all V-8 ponies. What I don't like is people who think they own something that is much better than the guy next to you...especially if he would drag your *** in a race. What is your answer to that? ummmm well, I have forged internals so if I spend 8k and supercharge mine, I will beat you...I just don't right now. When I am old and gray I will get close to what I paid for it one day....
Old 06-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I feel that a Boss is a pretty safe bet. They are not that expensive and you don't see that many on the road. You can get a nice Boss in the 30's and if I were you I would not wait too long. Right now they are hitting the market because some owners are moving up to the GT350 once this settles out I have a feeling they will be harder to find.

Agree they're not everywhere and are unique. I remember back in 1993 , a cobra wasnt really that much more than a loaded gt. Now look at the 93 cobra value compared to a 93 gt. Hardest decision would be the color choice on the boss.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0440thgt View Post
Well I have an idea.

Usually my ideas end with me spending money, which is the case here. 😂

I have had my 04 GT since 2008. I bought it with 50k on it and it has about 78k right now. Still in great condition, as I don't ride it much with work duties getting in the way. It stays in the garage when not on the road.

What I see in the garage is a nice, clean... GT. A fun car, but still a GT. And while it does have 40th anniversary badging, I just don't see my pony being worth much money in the future.

Which brings me to my next question - wonder what these 12-13 Boss Mustangs will be worth in the future, say 30 years from now? I know it is impossible to predict the future, but I work with a bunch of old guys who had LS6 Chevelles, 69 Bosses, 440 Cudas and traded them for mere peas because they said back then they were just "cars." No one back then had any idea they would be worth so much.

So are today's Bosses just "cars" or will they demand the big bucks down the road that the 69-70s are bringing now?

I want to be able to pass along a car worth something to my daughter when she gets older, not just "another" GT worth $2000.

Ideally I would try to sell my car and go Boss hunting in late 2017-early 2018.

I have even thought about an 07-09 Shelby, but theres something about those Bosses that keep dragging me back.

Am I crazy?
-------------------------------------------------
Well if we haven't had World War III, it might be worth something. Better off to put $30,000 into saving bonds and give them to her to buy a new mustang, that is if cars are still going to be in use. We may all be driving spaceships and living on different planets in the galaxy.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Simple answer, yes the boss will go up in value over time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JokerS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Lol....It might go up slightly if you keep it in your garage, don't drive it more than 1k miles per year, bring it to car shows and sit next to it, wiping it down every 10 minutes. The old muscle car era/baby boomer generation is gone man. I would never buy a car to NOT drive it. But to each his own. I still admit that the Boss is one of the best at holding value, if that is your goal...enjoy
Old 10-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Muscle cars generally increase over time. Key word is time. The boss isn't just any mustang. Special edit and limited production also will way into future price. The 69 and 70 Boss cost about $ 100,000 or more. Same platform as the other mustangs at the time. Has a slightly more modified motor then the standard 302, little hard suspension, and some stickers. Sounds similar to the modern boss? If you want to talk about preformance, hands down the newer boss wins in all ways. If it's the value that the 60s mustangs is that its a classic, that can be debated. Ford produced what? More then 2 million in the 1964-1970 years. Special the 65-66 mustang. Ford produced more then a million during that year. There actually pretty common. To add on to the point of time playing importance, look at the 71-75 mustangs. There value has been raising the last few years. There in the $20,000, most people think they look ugly. I personally like that generation. But there value is going up. The 71s struggled with the new environmental regulations, also sales were low on that mustang because of the look. Eventually fox body's will regain value. It takes time for these cars to raise in value. You can say 5 years later that this car isn't going to gain value. Classic cars usually have to be 20 years or older. So making assumptions now on a limited production style car probably isn't the safest bet. Just my two cents!

Old 10-19-2016, 11:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The Boss from 69/70 cost 100k or more, where? Mecum auto auctions... for the best condition with matching everything maybe.... I frequently see ones in good shape (not clones) for around 60k...But sure some go north of that price. It's hard to compare generations man. People bought them back in the day for extremely cheap...many were wrecked or broke down and never restored. Most people nowadays know what they have, so whatever the production # is, most will still be around 20 years form now...because people don't drive them much. Hence garage queens...I wish I had enough money to have garage queens and drivers. At the end of the day, sure they will gain value if you rarely drive them and don't modify them extremely...But in my opinion they will NEVER even be close to the muscle car generation ones. You are right though, they are a bad *** car and the forged internals help a ton! I would never hate on the BOSS, I guess collecting is not my thing very much....I like to Drive and drive hard!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyzd30 View Post
Buying a car as a garage queen or investment does not make all that much sense to me. Technology is and will continue to make these cars obsolete. What makes the Boss so special? Some forged internals,side pipe exhaust, and a few stickers. I don't know man, I have driven a slightly modified GT and a Laguna Seca Boss n the same day. The GT had some suspension upgrades, exhaust, and tuned, but no crazy modifications. It was simply better than the Laguna Seca. All these advertisements, car and driver videos, etc etc are paid commercials. The Boss is nothing special to drive in my opinion. So if you are buying a car to modify and have fun, go newer GT and modify it into a street beast and have a blast.

With that being said.....if you like a car to hold value, good lord....The BOSS is the best holding value car I have seen since the Buick Grand National of the 80's.....I can't believe how much these cars are listed for. It absolutely amazes me. After driving one, I was like hmmm as expected, the hype is just hype. Don't get me wrong, I love the BOSS and for that matter all mustangs with V-8's. Sorry for the 4 and 6 cylinder guys, they just don't represent my thoughts of a muscle car. i know them turbo 4's and modified 6's move just fine, but I still feel they sound gay.

Holding Value- yes, you can't go wrong with the BOSS....it would have dropped by now if it were going to. They will hold provide you don't use as a daily driver. Will they ever be worth more than they are now....In my opinion, the answer is no way. The baby boomer generation is foolish and overpays for memories. Today's generation won't do it. Good luck!
I'm thinking you're wrong, these cars of today will probably be the last real muscle cars, I know I've thought that before, but with driverless cars and government digging deeper into our lives, these are keepers.
Find one in a rarer color, enjoy it, and watch the value escalate !
Just my opinion......
angrymike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I totally agree with you dude about driving them. I drive my all the time! It's a waste of money to let it sit in the garage. I don't ever plan on selling it either! So I really don't care about future value. Lol. Letting it sit in the garage is more of a corvette owner thing. I plan on get my money's worth out of it!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I remember when I bought my 65 2+2 K code in 68 for $1600. Not a real special Mustang compared to later models. I wonder what it is worth now? Have you seen what they go for at auctions? Holy cow man.
In thirty years a Boss will blow your mind. Just wont be able to get gas for it to take a drive.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

I remember when I bought my 65 2+2 K code in 68 for $1600. Not a real special Mustang compared to later models. I wonder what it is worth now? Have you seen what they go for at auctions? Holy cow man.
In thirty years a Boss will blow your mind. Just wont be able to get gas for it to take a drive.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:48 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Value...30 years later?

My grandpa bought his '68 for $2500 in '67, & gave it my dad on his 20th birthday in 1997.
My dad says it's my brother, sister & I's retirement fund & we have to split it.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ via Mustang Evolution app
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #23
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316

Yeah, there will be no more gas, & you will have to convert to electric haha

Sent from my iPhone 7+ via Mustang Evolution app
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:28 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I wonder what a boss would be in 30 years? Hopefully it blows my mind lol.
But I would have to find some way to drive it. Because I'm never gonna sell it lol.

Nickboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang