2013 boss 302 mt82 problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
2013 boss 302 mt82 problems

Just joined this site. Anyone have ford redo their mt 82 trans in the 2013 boss 302? Just purchased one with 1195 miles on it in April, have just under 5000 now. trouble with quick shifts especially 1rst to 2nd and 3rd, also notchy, thought it just me. I have been researching it for a while and a lot of negative on this trans. I fortunately have the preferred 100,000 mile extended warranty. Ford dealer said there is a TSB or technical service bulletin on this for 1rst to 2nd synchro tolerance issue. They will redo it for my $100 deductible. Some sites have mentioned that they had ford rebuid and still has the problem. Eager to hear if anyone else has had this problem and how they remidied it. Thanks
alsboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Don't have one but if you read you'll see a ton of issues with the MT82 trans. Chinese transmission ftl...

Get the fix done and if it still has issues get in touch with a rep from actual Ford, not the dealer and have a brand new MT82 put in.

Then a MGW Race Spec shifter and stainless clutch line.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Shifter , clutch line , clutch, fluid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Agree with Rap for sure. I have no issues with mine at all after mods. I went with MGW shifter race spec, SS clutch line, Mcleod RST clutch+lightweight flywheel, light weight clutch pedal assist spring+ fluid swap. After all that, it's perfect to me.
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsboss302 View Post
Just joined this site. Anyone have ford redo their mt 82 trans in the 2013 boss 302? Just purchased one with 1195 miles on it in April, have just under 5000 now. trouble with quick shifts especially 1rst to 2nd and 3rd, also notchy, thought it just me. I have been researching it for a while and a lot of negative on this trans. I fortunately have the preferred 100,000 mile extended warranty. Ford dealer said there is a TSB or technical service bulletin on this for 1rst to 2nd synchro tolerance issue. They will redo it for my $100 deductible. Some sites have mentioned that they had ford rebuid and still has the problem. Eager to hear if anyone else has had this problem and how they remidied it. Thanks
Mcleod RXT clutch,SS line,Steeda ST shifter and BG synchromesh fluids and no problems on MT82

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
TrackPhase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The MT 82 is not as good a design as say a Tremec. It has less synchros as a minimum. As stated above, you can make it better, but will still have issues when you increase redline or add power adders. I have not changed my clutch, so temper some of comments. No shifter unless it gets rid of the rear mount will always work. In that configuration, mine would lock me out of third, but then some of that was being supercharged. After many shifters, i now have new MGW and much better. Stock clutch still has issues at track as it gets hot, my redline is 7,300. Even with fluid, shifting is still a little off until trans fluid heats up. Other than that, all is well. My next mustang with have the 10 speed auto with paddle shifters ?
Cobrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had a 8100 redline with my coyote. I honestly never had a problem from my trans. Clutch/shifter/line/fluid/ mount from day one. The guy who ones it now can't drive whatsoever and still trans is doing good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The MT82 for the 2018 Mustang had some changes made to it to try and improve it. Better or bigger syncros and new gear ratios. I drove one and still did not like it so after wwning two Mustangs with the MT82 transmission I wnt with the 10 speed automatic when I oredered my 2018. The way the shifter is attached to the transmission is a big problem from what I read. Why Ford didn't put the Tremec into any car with the 5.0 is beyond me, I believe they put Tremics into the GT500. Tried to save a few bucks on a Chinese built transmission and came up with a pice of junk. Should at least give us an option to order the Tremic; I would have spent a 100 or $200 more for one.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

You have an option to order the Tremec. Call Astro Performance lol.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No transmission is going to be perfect with no complaints. The same people that hype up the Tremec probably don't own one, or they would realize they are not without problems either. I wouldn't sweat it at all. Buy it, do the upgrades we mentioned and I assure that you will be happy with it. First off, running a HP supercharged mustang you need to swap the clutch, that probably would be the second thing done after changing the sloppy shifter. Maybe the older mustangs had more transmission problems, who knows. But I had a 13 and a 14 with no problems. Both over 600WHP
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Welcome, alsboss302! I have a 2013 Boss with about 1750 miles on it that had the same issues you are having. I bought it with 1300 miles and the shifting was so bad I was reluctant to drive it. After replacing the clutch with a McLeod RST, with matching lightened steel McLeod flywheel, a JPC stainless hydraulic line, Shelby remote clutch cylinder, an MGW RaceSpec and a fresh fill of BG SynchroShift ii, it has been transformed! This road has been well travelled and all your issues can be solved with a liberal application of Benjamins. My mechanic who is a hard core hotrodder and Chevy man, and having never driven an S197 was down right effusive about how much he liked this transmission after installing my parts and test driving it. The ratios are perfect for the Boss, and other then taking a little while to warm up, I no longer worry about missing a shift, up or down ever, it is that good. Let us know how it works out for you.
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Magnums have really itty bitty tiny synchro teeth. Also the ratios are not optimal for a Coyote. Great for a GT500 or LS3/LT1 tho. MT82 ratios are great for a Coyote. TBTH it seems the ppl who have issues are the ones who left the shifter setup stock or mostly stock.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #13

I want to thank all you guys for such quick responses. Again I'm new to this and this info is super helpful. I am also new to Mustangs but have many friends with them and wanted a boss or Shelby for quite a while. The general consenus seems to be that after I have Ford redo my trans with the new synchros and maybe try to get them to put BG in for fluid then I should get the MGW race spec shifter. I'm not going to track race it regularily. I probably will take it to the drag strip once or twice and maybe to the local track to get a good feel for it. I'm wondering if you guys think that I will be happy with that without putting a new aluminum clutch, flywheel, etc in it? I really dont want to put alot of Benjamins in it. I just want it to shift well. Also, what MGW race spec would you guys go with, the standard, low profile or x-spec standard or x-spec low profile? Also, They say that the 2018 mt82's are much improved and I wonder when Ford redoes it if they will use improved or 2018 parts. Once I get a hold of BG and see if I can get their fluid, I will check with Ford also to see if they can put in per their warranty. Again, thanks for all your help. I feel fortunate to have found this forum.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

We need some more details on what you are buying. Big difference between Boss and GT500, really complete different cars, different motor/trans/etc. Also what year you getting, or what are you planning on spending? I don’t know nothing about Ford changing synchros. We told you the few minor things you would need. As for would you be happy with factory clutch, again what are you buying? If it’s supercharged I highly recommend a new clutch/flywheel. When you provide more details we will give guidance bro
Old 01-29-2018, 03:42 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

He said he got a 2013 Boss with real low miles.

Do the MGW shifter. "Race spec" is just a name, doesn't mean you need to race your car to use it or anything. Then the helper spring, the clutch line, good fluid and the whiteline trans mount insert and call it good.

Remember if you DO start thinking of a T56 or whatever, the T56 is geared COMPLETELY differently than the MT82 is. MT82 is geared to really try to make up for the lack of torque that the Coyote has. I mean you could do something like a wide ratio T56 (2.97 first and .50 final) and then gear it to 4.30 or 4.56 or something I suppose... But if Ford is going to fix the trans then just get it fixed and then do all the "fixes" that most ppl do.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:04 AM   #16

Thanks for the info, I think I will go with the MGW shifter and good fluid. By the way, would the standard shifter from MGW be suffucient? Why do I need the helper spring and new clutch line and whiteline transmission mount? Is the helper spring an add on or just an upgrade?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Get the race spec. The race spec replaces the limp noodle u jointed shifter mechanism with a solid piece. It basically turns the MT82 into a "toploader" as far as operation and feel.

Spring is there from ford to assist pushing on the clutch, most ppl remove it. The line replacment is to put a braided line in place of the stocker so you don't get any hose expansion during shifts. Same reason why ppl do the brake lines with braided.

If they are going to have the trans out anyway it might be a good time to do it... I mean that's up to you.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

MT82 Clutch Spring Delete walkthrough

Old 01-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I got the MGW Race Spec with the standard lever and for $15 dollars got the slightly shorter lever in case i wanted to shorten the throw a little more. If your Boss has not been abused to date, you will probably find that The MGW with a fluid change and a new line will take care of your shifting problems unless you spend at lot of time at redline. The RST with lightened steel flywheel weighs about 5 lbs less than the stock setup and is smaller in diameter, reducing centrifugal force significantly, allowing high RPM shifts without the clutch staying on the floor. Also too short of a throw on the shift lever may force the trans to shift faster than it was designed to do, putting additional stress on the synchs, so keep that in mind as you order.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
all your issues can be solved with a liberal application of Benjamins.
Somebody should sell plaques and T-shirts with this. This pretty much works for everything in life lol.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Or a really big hammer...

Old 01-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Or a really big hammer...

IG: @ ab_mach1
Old 01-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #23

Thanks, my Boss has never been abused, never dragged or tracked,"yet" like I mentioned earlier, I only have just under 5000 miles on it. It sounds like the standard one would work fine. They say that you get some more noise and vibration when I change to MGW shifter. What exactly do they mean by that? I can handle a little more vibration in the handle but I dont want some annoying rattle or very noticable whine. As much as I enjoy going through gears like the next guy, I still like to take cruises with my wife and listening to the radio at times. We live in a beautiful area along the lakeshore in MI with a lot of nice curves. This car is something I want to enjoy and annoying extra noises can weigh on you after a while especially on longer trips. I really would love to change that shifter and fluid, also I did find some BG fluid in my hometown in MI for $77 for two quarts and it's compatible with Fords warranty. Anxious for everyones thoughts.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Noise and vibration very minimal and welcome! You will finally feel like you are fully engaged with your Boss rather than totally isolated. Being an "Old Guy" I can tell you it is nothing like the noise and vibration from vintage muscle, just a whisper to remind you that there's a race car around you. The dual disc clutch may give you a little rattle on the down shift at 2200-2800 RPM should you go that way, though I don't notice it at all when using TracKey probably due to the increased engine braking present and seldom otherwise. You may not notice any additional noise with just a shifter, as it comes with Dynamat. Not enough noise to annoy you or your wife with extended driving, and if you have opened up or removed the restrictors in the side pipes ( you have, haven't you? ) you won't notice it at all.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:27 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you care about shifting get the race spec. You bought a boss not a fusion.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:21 AM   #26

Thank both of you guys for responding and Gary sharp race red Boss, just like mine. Whats this about being an "Old Guy"? Are we talking 95 or 100 or an old guy like me at 69, all relative you know and I also have fond memories of Muscle cars which were definitely loud. I probably won't go with the dual clutch at this time but definitely the shifter. You said something about "When" you use your trackey, is there another substandard key? Yes, my baffles have been out from the beginning and my trackey just got activated and that's a long story that I will share with the short version. Bought the car from a Ford dealer in Ohio on the way back from Fla to MI, again had 1195 miles. Trackey wasn't activated but Ford said they would pay for it at a Ford dealer in MI. Ford dealers in MI had no idea how to do it and had no program for it. Called SVT, they said they dicontinued the program because they thought that if anyone with a Boss did'nt have it done already then they were'nt going to now. They were getting quite a few requests like mine. Eventually they made a Pro cal tuner, but now the price was 689.00 and still had to have a Ford dealer activate it for another 105.00, also said it would do more than the original trackey, don't know what yet. Ford paid the 689 and I had to pay the 105. SVT walked me through the half an hour process. Unfortunately, never got it completed until about a week before I put away for the winter, now I just start it occasionally in the garage to hear the lopey idle. Ok, this actually is the short version. If anyone needs to get it done they will need to go through this process. It's proprietory so your local performance shop can't do it, supposedly.By the way what is the Dynamat that comes with shifter, some type of insulation? Scotty, you have a great sense of humor and point well taken, I do have a Boss and not a fusion. How much of a job to put the shifter in myself? I do have heated garage but no hoist, not really excited about putting it in myself even though they give step by step how to video. Maybe and convince Ford to put it in when they redo my trans. in the spring and yes I do know what Fat Chance means. Thanks again for he info.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:10 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
also and I'm not trying to insult you. These are fussy cars to shift....fully depress the clutch, learn the tight gates and go out and practice. Notchy is kinda normal but nothing alarming. grinding is different and blocking is also different.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

alsboss302, the Dynamat with the MGW is precut and included to place on specific spots on the shifter box to attenuate any rattle or vibration. The shifter install is a little more difficult in that space is limited and ideally the exhaust and driveshaft would be removed and the rear crossmember under the transmission dropped for access.I had my clutch replaced at the same time since my mechanic was already into it that far. It also gave better access to the connection for the new hydraulic clutch line. I was fortunate that TracKey was already installed and active when I bought my car, so didn't have to go through the convoluted process that you describe. The clutch rattle I described was with the silver key,and I only heard it once during clutch break in. The clutch has gotten progressively better with miles, though not completely broken in yet. You have yet to experience what an amazing car this is until you get an MGW. And I guess I should say I am approaching "Old Guy" status since I am only 65!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm 35 and I feel like I'm approaching old guy status the way my knees feel after leg day...

Old 01-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

When the only tools you have left to keep the old bones moving are yoga and pilates-you've arrived! Gotta keep that left knee joint working, whatever it takes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > Boss Mustang