BBK long tube headers install help....... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
BBK long tube headers install help.......

what it is......tomorrow or thurs I'll be installing my BBK long tubes......curious if you guys could give me a heads up on what needs to take place for the install......so....lets forgo the obvious....I got the memo on the difficulty of it all. Yes, I know its gonna be a *****. Now that we have that outta the way.....

what needs to happen, what doesn't need to happen, what gets removed, what gets unbolted, etc.?

I look forward to hearing from you guys.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith
Re: BBK long tube headers install help.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfield2004 View Post
what it is......tomorrow or thurs I'll be installing my BBK long tubes......curious if you guys could give me a heads up on what needs to take place for the install......so....lets forgo the obvious....I got the memo on the difficulty of it all. Yes, I know its gonna be a *****. Now that we have that outta the way.....

what needs to happen, what doesn't need to happen, what gets removed, what gets unbolted, etc.?

I look forward to hearing from you guys.
I have heard that it is much easier to install if you drop the cradle. Yes it is a pain in the butt to install. You also might need O2 sensors extensions. From what I have read you also might have problems getting the #1 nut off the passenger side. For this you will need to raise the engine about 1-2". Put the car on blocks, use a jack to support the engine and lower the K-member.

Probably looking at 3-4 hours maybe 5 of wrench time and I am sure a lot of 4 letter words along the way.

For complete install instructions with pictures visit this link on American Muscles website: This will help a ton!!!!

BBK Ceramic Long Tube Headers (99-04 Cobra and 03-04 Mach 1) - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
when I did mine it was easier to drop the engine completely or atleast till the exhaust is lower than the frame and removing the k member is a must. I helped a friend do his on his 2v with the motor still in the frame and that was a real pain. good luck I don't know exactly how long it take but closer to five hours
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys.....completely forgot to tell you that I have an 01 cobra....but I guess you guys already replied to some of my previous threads....I know have you have dru...I'll certainly recon american muscles instructions out. Once I finish painting the windows on my parents house, I have the rest of the day and all day thurs set aside for install. dropping the motor completely out w/k member and all is out of the question, no resources to do so, but I'll certainly be coming back to this page and forum/thread throughout the afternoon and evening. I should be done in about 45mins. so I'll be off and on after 3:30p central. I look forward to some more advice, pointers, and tips from you all.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I would print out the instructions and try to follow them as best you can w/o dropping engine and k-member. Good luck bro!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

ok, got the k member brace, front wheels, and stands moved back. before I remove the k member, I have a 3rd stand underneath my oil pan....so my question is, would it be safe to let my oil pan rest on a block of wood held by this stand?

called my tuner, he recommended me to go the long and hard route. heard the sense of importance in his voice. so, look forward to hearing from you guys.

ill be off and on throughout this project getting ya'lls pointers and tips if thats ok with you guys.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
yeah I did my on the floor with a floor jack and the car as high as the stands would go it sucked not gonna lie but good luck man
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

hey whats up guys, just woke up, fixin to start back on this project after I eat.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

...........*sigh*.............done. finished yesterday early evening. long tubes, off road h pipe, cold air intake, throttle body, and spoiler delete. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to post pics (my apologizes, not as technologically inclined as I am mechanically).
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thats great! how many hours did you have into the install?

Oh and just so you know. To post pictures Click "go advanced" instead of "Post Quick Reply". And then click on the little paperclip icon, then you will be able to download pictures to this Thread!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

be good to KNOW how long it took ?
I've got a set of Kooks long tubes sitting here waiting to go on the Mach as soon as a find a spare weekend to do it .................
Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

before I share how long it took me, please understand, aside from k member reinstall, it was only me doing all the work, no power tools of any type, and that I took my time. so, it took me 3 days.

In order to install long tubes correctly and without further issues down the road after install, it'd be offally bewho of you guys to take the long hard route. disassemble the front suspension, drop the k member, support the motor with a jack or blocks of wood, and follow american muscles directions. I thoroughly appreciate the link to that btw dru, thank you. took me forever, but the end result was well worth the time, trouble, and frustration. Oh, one other suggestion, I'd encourage you guys to invest in a pair of O2 sensor extensions at least for the front 2 sensors. $40 investment will save you a DTC light.

anywho, gotta jump off and get ready for work, look forward to seeing what you guys leave after I get off. catch you guys on the flip.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

I figured it was no walk in the park ....
my Kooks are individual tubes , witch is supposed to make installation a lot easier , supposedly you don't have to drop the K , and I've helped a friend put a set in his ZR1 Vette , the quality is top notch and it only took us about 5 hours , and they looked a lot harder to do it the Vette .. so we'll see ...................
Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

dude, whether it takes you 5hrs or 5 days......take your time. you're goin in THAT deep, there is NO reason to skimp on quality. no reason to rush. Take your time, make sure you do everything with care and correctly, and you shouldn't have any issues on the back end on wrap up.

anywho, the end result is well worth the trouble.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfield2004 View Post
before I share how long it took me, please understand, aside from k member reinstall, it was only me doing all the work, no power tools of any type, and that I took my time. so, it took me 3 days.

In order to install long tubes correctly and without further issues down the road after install, it'd be offally bewho of you guys to take the long hard route. disassemble the front suspension, drop the k member, support the motor with a jack or blocks of wood, and follow american muscles directions. I thoroughly appreciate the link to that btw dru, thank you. took me forever, but the end result was well worth the time, trouble, and frustration. Oh, one other suggestion, I'd encourage you guys to invest in a pair of O2 sensor extensions at least for the front 2 sensors. $40 investment will save you a DTC light.

anywho, gotta jump off and get ready for work, look forward to seeing what you guys leave after I get off. catch you guys on the flip.
Good job bro! That is a big undertaking for one person! Congrats on finishing it! No prob about the link, that's what this forum is for. I have received a lot of help from others as well.

Post some pictures when you get a chance! Oh and how did your tune go? Do you have SCT hand help tuner?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

what it is hood?! preciate it ;] took me forever, but it got saw thru. none the less, indeed, I too count this forum as a resource when turning wrenches.

tune. yes, I have an SCT hand held, 2 of them actually, one for my cobra and one for my mustang v6. But once I figured my new out, tune went well. once I can set back about couple hundred, gonna take down to my tuner and get a dyno and tune.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang