96 SVT Cobra appears Superchip is bad opinions on my options please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Question 96 SVT Cobra appears Superchip is bad opinions on my options please

I bought a 96 SVT Cobra about a month ago. It had 39K miles and was a garage baby. The previous owner only drove it about 1.5K miles a year and seemed to spend more time polishing it than driving it. I trusted the seller totally. But he either forget to mention an issue or it went bad 5 minutes after I bought it. The mods are a new H pipe, no cats, Flowmaster mufflers, a K&N cold air kit, a SuperChip and B&M Short Shift kit. When idling for about 15 minutes it will rev up, then stall. When you restart it it runs rich out of only the drivers side pipe, blowing black smoke and runs real rough. That was the majority of the issues. Then the other night it started missing and sputtering. 98% of the time it runs great. I took it to my garage who I really trust and they are pretty sharp guys. They work with everything from my Volvo and Ranger to other peoples Ferrari's, Alfa Romeos, Porsche's, Race cars you name it. They got it to act up. They said it never threw any codes. They put it on some sort of analyzer that showed the computer was enriching the mixture when it would act up. Their opinion was it's an issue with the SuperChip. I called Superchip. They no longer make the flashed chips for a 96. Though they told me I could probably find one online somewhere.

So here are the options that were given to me. I'd like your opinion. I'll start out with I spent my money buying this car and didn't plan on putting another $500-1000 into it right away.

1) Take out the chip, see how it runs. It will throw a check engine light because there are no cats or oxygen sensors.

2) try to find a replacement chip if taking out the chip fixes the issue. The people at Superchip said while the chip may be the issue generally when a chip goes bad the car won't start. Could also be dirty contacts?

3) put the original cats and sensors back on. I have all of the original parts in excellent shape. How much power if any will I lose with the original cats?

4) Take out chip and take to local Mustang guru who will create a custom dyno tune for about $6-700.00 He tells me that he will find the problem.

5) put the original cats, or have hi-flo cats put on, then do the dyno tune.

I like the growl of the exhaust now, but If I don't lose too much putting on the original cats, I can live with that. I'm not looking for the fastest normally aspirated 96 Cobra, I'm more interested in decent performance and drive-ability. I've had more than my share of car headaches and want to just enjoy the car. So those of you with experience with these things I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: 96 SVT Cobra appears Superchip is bad opinions on my options please

I would go number5.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Take the chip out and see what it does. The pretty much useless on that car. As for the check engine light whooooo cares lol. Leave the exhaust the way it is, my check engine light has been on for 3 years.
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

option 4
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post
Take the chip out and see what it does. The pretty much useless on that car. As for the check engine light whooooo cares lol. Leave the exhaust the way it is, my check engine light has been on for 3 years.
I don't care about check engine light but we have emissions inspection her in Reading PA. It's exempt but I still think light has to be off. Superchip fools it into staying off.

Why do you say chip is useless on that car? Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney

I don't care about check engine light but we have emissions inspection her in Reading PA. It's exempt but I still think light has to be off. Superchip fools it into staying off.

Why do you say chip is useless on that car? Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Oh ok I was aware. Well put the cats back on for the inspection then? And well the chip doesn't give it any more power or anything. The only thing its doing is keeping the check engine light from
Coming on
Old 08-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

96 SVT Cobra w/ chip issue: I think I got it fixed

I think I fixed it. I finally was able to get the kick panel off and get to the ECM. After much coaxing I was able to get the ECM out. When I did I found the Superchip was not seated correctly on the ECM. Further investigation found there was corrosion on both the Chip's contacts and the edge connector on the ECM. I cleaned them up with some Radio Shack Contact Cleaner and a toothbrush. Once I was happy with that, I re-seated the chip and then held it in place firmly with Gorilla Tape. Put it back in, crossed my fingers and she started. Ever since then, about 2 weeks now, she has been running pretty good. I do plan on adding the Hi-Flow Cats and getting a proper tune next spring but for now I'm going to save my money. Thanks for all of your feedback and advice. Spiney-Dave
Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

get a new chip burned , $6oo-$700 bucks ?????? is he on crack ???
contact my friend , .: Johnny Lightning Performance
Talk to John or Sue ,I'm sure they would do a dyno tune and burn you a new chip for a lot less than that .......... probably in the $350-$450 range is my guess ...
They are some of the nicest people you want to meet and they'll take care of you , John really knows what he's doing to .....
Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith

option 4 all the way! Bring iit to a tuner that can do it correct! Better to be safe then sorry!
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

*sigh*.........and that's exactly why I didn't go with a chip with my two mustangs. cuz of that **** right there. When things go off the wall, you have no "safety net" or OEM tune to fall back on. And you're left out in the middle of nowhere to fend for yourself.

I'd like to encourage you, once you get some time behind you and have some extra $ to spare. I'd suggest an SCT handheld tuner. I have one each for both of my mustang. they are a wonderful investment. Not only can you download your tune, you can also read your DTC codes and erase them if need be, plus, if things get sticky, you have your stock tune saved in your handheld to tide you over til you get things sorted out.

Anywho, my 2cents, good or bad, right or wrong, thats my story and I'm stickin to it.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfield2004 View Post
*sigh*.........and that's exactly why I didn't go with a chip with my two mustangs. cuz of that **** right there. When things go off the wall, you have no "safety net" or OEM tune to fall back on. And you're left out in the middle of nowhere to fend for yourself.

I'd like to encourage you, once you get some time behind you and have some extra $ to spare. I'd suggest an SCT handheld tuner. I have one each for both of my mustang. they are a wonderful investment. Not only can you download your tune, you can also read your DTC codes and erase them if need be, plus, if things get sticky, you have your stock tune saved in your handheld to tide you over til you get things sorted out.

Anywho, my 2cents, good or bad, right or wrong, thats my story and I'm stickin to it.
I agree with you 100%.
I dislike chips for the simple reason that you can't usually tune it yourself.
It is a hassle and expense to have to take it somewhere to be tuned or to send the chip in for reflashing.
With a tuner you have to learn and understand how it works, but once you do you can do your own tuning to suit your needs whenever you want to.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Good buy. I just bought a 96 cobra with 57k on the clock.

I personally have a dr gas off road x pipe on mine with the Mils so i dont throw any codes. went with an american muscle flash tuner. They work great. Much better than those chips. Bama really knows what they are doing.

if your trying to pass emissions i would put that stock mid pipe back on and take that tune off anyway.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Take the superchip out. Throw it away. Order an sct custom tuner from american muscle and install their tune. You can shut off the o2 sensors and it should all be fine. That or you hace serious engine issues. Hell could just be bad injectors.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

even without the chip if you have no cats its not a huge issue, you will get a check engine light, but it will work to test and see how it runs.

I would lose the chip anyway, get a tune dont bother at all since your car is ODBII it wont need a chip.

you can get MIL eliminators instead of a chip to turn off the CEL light but they sometimes dont work perfect~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #15

Region: Connecticut
Ive had perfect luck with mil elims. Chips on obd2 is garbage unless its a dyno tune.
jonb347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Look take thad super chip and put it in the garbage, by a SCT flash SF3 preload, part #3015, you don't have to much done in the car do the preload

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Get the super-chip put it in the garbage, buy the SCT flash SF3 part# 3015 how come preload, you don't have to much done in u car so the preload tune it gone to pretty excellent for u, and you can do a lot with, like delete 02 sensor and change a lot of other parameters, and u can due yourself because it is easy, just plug and play
2003CobraSvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Tags
svt