Oxidized paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Oxidized paint

96 laser red cobra. The roof, spoiler, and rear bumper oxidizing. Any cheap ideas on what i can do? The rest of the paint is excellent. I was thing maybe black vinyl for the roof and spoiler but i dunno... Maybe matt black paint DIY?
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: Oxidized paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg View Post
96 laser red cobra. The roof, spoiler, and rear bumper oxidizing. Any cheap ideas on what i can do? The rest of the paint is excellent. I was thing maybe black vinyl for the roof and spoiler but i dunno... Maybe matt black paint DIY?
I have the same color... and the same problem man... A buddy of mine just showed me a polish, similar to a wax, that removes a little bit of the clear coat and brings back some of the color, but I can't remember what it was called... it helped a little bit. I am just gonna get mine repainted the original color next year... good luck to ya!
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Yeah, i'd like to just repaint it. I just dont want to spend 2 grand for it. These body shops where i live want to charge me 1500 minimum, its rediculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

If you have enough clearcoat left you could color sand it with some 2000 grit or maybe finer sandpaper and polish it out again.

If not then you may have to have it repainted with clearcoat.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
1500 is a average price for a paint job. Is that an all over paint job price you were gettin? If you wanna do it yourself sand it with 2000 grit paper then spray paint it then clear it. But to make it come out nice and clean with out it turning milky do it when its warm out
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, its toast. Already ate through the clear coat. Roof and spoiler are white. Bumper is pinkish. Hah. Anyone have any experience with vinyl? Is the best bet for longevity just to spend the extra cash and repaint it?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg View Post
Yeah, its toast. Already ate through the clear coat. Roof and spoiler are white. Bumper is pinkish. Hah. Anyone have any experience with vinyl? Is the best bet for longevity just to spend the extra cash and repaint it?
Vinyl is semi porous to begin with and it gets worse over time with weather and sunlight exposure. It will trap water and cause the roof to rot out eventually.
You would be better off to sand the roof and spoiler down and paint them with semi-gloss or matte black paint.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. Yeah last thing i need is some cancer... Good man, thanks for the help. I'm just going with a matt or flat black for the roof and spoiler and the laser red bumper. Should look nice.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

The best way to go is painting.

If you have detail experience with a polisher you can try using some serious stuff. Below is the recommended way:

Start by washing the exterior paint. Easiest way is with plain dish-soap. Cheap stuff like Ajax. It will remove any wax and it will strip it to the clear coat. Then follow the steps below.

You could try a Liquid Compound if you have a rotary polisher. And then follow up with a Extreme Cut Leveler since the Liquid Compound will leave swirl marks in the finish. Finally you will be able to wax.

Also consult a detailer in your area- not a CarWash. Most Car Washes focus on Volume. Most detailers focus on quality, not quantity. It may take them a while.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang