Best cams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Best cams

I wanna put cams in my 03 cobra, but I don't what brand It gone to be my best option, can some body recommend me. I like com cams and if some body has a set for sale just let me know
2003CobraSvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
my buddy bought some custom cams from mmr for a grand.
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Best cams

A custom cam is your best bet. The off the shelf options are decent, the comp stage 2 or 3's seem to be the most popular...but your best bet is for a custom grind as it would be about the same price anyhow. The MMR ones are the ones I'm looking at myself with some head porting from them at the same time (the'll install the new cams for free if you port your heads at the same time ~900 for the stage 3 port).
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Thad is nice the price for cams are the same as com cams ? Or better price ?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Comp and crower cams are going to run you around $1200 for all 4. Custom grinds from MMR are $1200 and they are ground to the proper specs taking your current boost level, gear ratio, and other details into account. Then there's free installation if you send your heads in to get ported as well. The port is $900 for the stage 3. It's free because to port your heads they have to take the cams out anyhow. So instead of re-installing your stock cams, they just put theirs in. The only thing you would have to do on your own is remove and re-install the heads on the motor....and then time the cams. Or, take it to a shop to get the cams timed. A shop is going to charge up to, and maybe over depending on the shop, about $2000 to install and time the cams for you.

Cams are definitely not a cheap mod on these cars. Nothing like the pushrod motors.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Road Trip!

I know, tanks, thad is the point I can install the cams myself, with the HP I have now it is a lot for the street, I am only want the cam for the sound. And Thad is all no more money in performance, lol to much HP spins to much lol. I am really appreciate the advance. So com cams is the best option ?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
If ur installing ur self and u dont want to port it then yes but like what was said extra 900 bones u get ur heads ported and ur new cams installed.... Id prolly see what they wanna charge for a polish job to while i was at it then the head work is D. O. N. E. !!!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Yes but I don feel take my head out pay extra 900 + new set of head gasket + new stud + shipping to them and back, cams I can swap it in a weekend, set a Dyno day and all ready back in the street. My friend make 880 with factory engine. I pouch good number I don't want more HP only want the sound, I maybe drop my boost to 15 lbs to keep the same power. I really appreciate the help of u guys, all the criterions opening my mind. Thank very much
Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003CobraSvt View Post
I know, tanks, thad is the point I can install the cams myself, with the HP I have now it is a lot for the street, I am only want the cam for the sound. And Thad is all no more money in performance, lol to much HP spins to much lol. I am really appreciate the advance. So com cams is the best option ?
If you only want cams for the sound, but a new car. You're not going to get the cam sound out of the 4 valve motor. You can get some very mild lope...but cams do not give you that great lopey sound you're looking for. I bought a fox to get the lope sound...and use my cobra for power.

I've heard some cams in the 4 valves that sound lopey, but no one will give you the specs as they are "top secret" garbage. My guess is the specs are so out of whack it makes it lope.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I know that if a cam is degreed wrong it will give u a good lopey sound but I dont think thats good. ive heard a few 4v that were cammed and it didnt make a noticeable difference in sound
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
Road Trip!

This is a stock cobra with full exhaust and stage 3 comp cams

Visit and let me know if noticeable?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I've heard comp 3 cams in person...and unless someone told you there was a cam in there, you would never know.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Those can was installed for Dyno speed racing in memphis and I saw a other black with same cams and sound seek

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang