rear end said, "F& it!" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
rear end said, "F&$k it!"

1st off, make and model is an 01 Cobra convert. Now, back in Sept. I took my car down to a reputable shop here in town to have a set of 4:10s I bought, installed. things have been fine since, other than what felt like a little bit of lash (when I goosed the throttle, which jolted the drive line, I could feel the gear teeth bang together), is about it, up until the other day, under deceleration with the clutch in, I got a growing noise coming from the diff, kept an ear on it, finally let go when I thought I pegged the problem.

So, now, I have my car in the car port, back end in the air, wheels, and cat back exhaust off, once I disassemble the brakes, and part of the suspension, and remove the cv's, whats next? Is there any way can I drop just the diff housing without having to disassemble and drop the ENTIRE suspension and rear end assembly? If so, how? If not, whats next? How long should it take to drop whats necessary?

Again, I consider you guys a wonderful source, that of which I look forward to conferring with. I look forward to what you guys have to share.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
yes I had to drop mine several times over the last few months. once you have the axles removed and you can let the spindles hang down. take the lower part of the shock off from the lower control arm, this will allow the axle to slide out. then if you look on the diff there are two tie rods take them loose at the diff. also remove the bolt that holds the speed sensors to the diff this is a star bit. now you can remove the 4 bolts from the driveshaft move it to the side. then there are 5 bolts that hold the diff in place 2 by the driveshaft flange then 3 on the diff cover itself. use a jack to lower it out from the car you will incounter a little trouble gettin it in and out all you have to do is wiggle it to get it to go. hope that helps man I know how you feel I destroyed my diff in june then three weeks later broke an axle an tore back into the diff to make sure everything was good. if you need anything else ask man
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: rear end said, "F&$k it!"

Preciate it man, in the middle of disassembling it right now. Just jumped on to check out whats next. I'll keep you posted on my findings once I get the diff cover off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Just popped open my diff cover......wow....my gear is destroyed. 1st off I removed the cover bolts with my fingers, once opened, all the ring gear bolts found their way out with the ring gear threads stripped. wow.

always inevitable, things always f&%k up really well with me, very seldom do things half a&% with me *sigh*
Old 11-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Same with me. I'd be goin back to the shop. Sounds like they didn't get the backlash right. Sorry man everything I break is epic man
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

lol sounds like we're in the same shoes....we never break anything halfa*& lol.

Took it back to the guy who put them in. he was really cool about. cleaned it up a bit. the ring and pinion are fine. the carrier isn't salvageable. so, he's cool with me buying another carrier and he'll put it all in for free. says a lot about him and his work. willing to stand behind it. good or bad.

btw, come to find out. the diff cover bolts came loose, drained the diff of fluid, ring bolts got hot, backed out, and mayhem ensued.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Humm sounds like someone didn't torque them to spec. So let me get this straight your buying a new carrier or is he? If you are you should make him its his fault they were loose and destroyed it. At least he's tryin to fix it. I broke a d & d viper spec t56 26 spline input shaft that was rated to 1000rwtq and they wouldn't warranty it I forked out $1300 for a new one for the shaft only lol. We should start a thread to see who has had epic breaks lol
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

dude, imma pick and choose my battles. think this a fair enough. he's a really cool guy. he's been kind and cool to me. his prices are fair. so, this is a bridge im in no rush to burn, so tryin to treat this with diplomacy.

lol, yeah. damn*t. that's some sh*t. dropped a grand and they wouldn't even back ya. that's kinda jacked up. wow, yeah, these toys aren't cheap. but, I think there's plenty of use on here that will attest that whatever our cars cost us is pain, frustration, and money, at the end of the day, it's worth it.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfield2004
dude, imma pick and choose my battles. think this a fair enough. he's a really cool guy. he's been kind and cool to me. his prices are fair. so, this is a bridge im in no rush to burn, so tryin to treat this with diplomacy.
Well said!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang