Advice on body repairs after an accident - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Region: Georgia
Advice on body repairs after an accident

My son spun my 99 SVT out and hit two cars. It was a slow moving accident. He first hit the front bumper cover causing the left front head light to pop out, leaving some pretty good scuffs on the bumper cover, and causing the far right and left ends of the bumper cover to pop out a couple of inches. When he spun around he ran the right rear quarter panel into another car. The gas tank lid and panel around it are pushed in a couple inches. The right rear tail light is broken and the rear bumper cover is bent and scratched pretty bad on the right side. The only other thing I noticed was that the steering wheel now isn't perfectly horizontal when driving straight; it is turned to the left about 1/8th of a turn. It drives fine, except that the wheel isn't "pointing" straight.
How much of bumper, lights, or panel replacements can I do before taking it to get painted? Anyone have tips or lessons learned on this type of work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stang bumper that hit Sable.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	35007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stang minus head light.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	35008  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stang where it hit the other stang.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	35009  

99svtcobrainga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Colorado
Your are lookin around $1800-2500 if you take it to a body shop that's parts/labor/paint. Ford and a parts reman place will prolly be the only ones to have the front bumper and that would be around $400. The rear light, head light, rear number they would get it from a salvage yard for all of that around $500. Now the quarter panel would be close to $800 with the body work and paint. He knocked the alignment off most tire shops charge around $60 for an alignment. I would get an estimate from a few local body shops and contact your insurance and just let them pay to fix it. Good luck hate to hear that your cobra is wrecked

1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Re: Advice on body repairs after an accident

FIRST OF ALL, If I had the privilege of owning a COBRA no body would be allowed near the keys!! they should be grateful to even get a chance to go for a ride in it and they had better not get my carpet dirty while getting in and out!!! Im on my 5th mustang, 4th GT and have not been able to pull off having my own cobra yet grrrr! NOW... the only thing I see thats gonna really cost you is that rear quarter just above that rear bumper. Body shops hate doing those because its not a part that that can just unbolt replace with new and respray. It is going to have to be cut out and a new quarter skin... if they are available, or a used one cut out of a salvaged Mustang put in and re welded in its place. Now you are in luck! ...Its christmas and there are alot of guys out there looking to make an extra buck for the holidays. If it was my car I would contact do it yourselfer body men all over craigslist, ...have them show me pictures of their work, then send it out to the lowest bidder just to do the rear quarter... because thats ware most of your expense lies. Have craigslist man fix the quarter and prep it and your total bill will go way down. and if he offers to paint it and the pics of his work look good than let him. One of the best custom paint jobs I ever had on a mustang was done in a 2 car garage by a man on craigslist who had ben doing it for years but had just got tired of working for "the man" hears a video for ya...
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang