valve cover gasket..... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
valve cover gasket.....

Just finished fixing my diff issue, oil change, and tire/rim swap. all thats left to do is change out this valve cover gasket thats turned faulty. so, this'll be a 1st for me for this application. have an 01 Cobra. Any pointers, tips, and/or advice on how to attack this valve cover issue. look forward to hearing from you guys.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Ok this one will take the most time to do. Passenger side you remove the intake pipe and upper intake cover the bolts are 8mm. Once you have those removed you can move to removing the spark plugs and covers, coil packs. Then you can remove the valve cover bolts there are 8 I believe on top and on the side. Now the driverside is the most difficult to do. I've pulled both of mine a few times there are two ways to do the driverside. 1. Remove the brake booster from the firewall and break loose the brake lines and have to have the brakes bled later or 2. Unbolt the k-member and lower the engine enough to remove the valve cover. On lowering the engine I'm not sure if the engine will lower enough to remove the cover with the brake booster on so the engine may need to be lowered completely out of the car. I pulled the engine out the last time due to pulling the head. I'm sure someone will chime in and give a lil more input. But those are the ways I've done it. You could prolly fight the valve cover off with the booster on but I doubt you will get it off. And what makes you think the valve cover gaskets are bad? Mine had the gaskets that seal around the spark plug hole that leaked oil into the cylinders.
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: valve cover gasket.....

ah. well i'm just replacing the passenger side. that. when I replaced the spark plugs had oil in the spark plug holes. thank you btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake View Post
Ok this one will take the most time to do. Passenger side you remove the intake pipe and upper intake cover the bolts are 8mm. Once you have those removed you can move to removing the spark plugs and covers, coil packs. Then you can remove the valve cover bolts there are 8 I believe on top and on the side. Now the driverside is the most difficult to do. I've pulled both of mine a few times there are two ways to do the driverside. 1. Remove the brake booster from the firewall and break loose the brake lines and have to have the brakes bled later or 2. Unbolt the k-member and lower the engine enough to remove the valve cover. On lowering the engine I'm not sure if the engine will lower enough to remove the cover with the brake booster on so the engine may need to be lowered completely out of the car. I pulled the engine out the last time due to pulling the head. I'm sure someone will chime in and give a lil more input. But those are the ways I've done it. You could prolly fight the valve cover off with the booster on but I doubt you will get it off. And what makes you think the valve cover gaskets are bad? Mine had the gaskets that seal around the spark plug hole that leaked oil into the cylinders.
+ 1 , except you can just unbolt the driver side cover and work the gasket in from around the edge ,it fits into a groove , and you can lift the cover just enough to get the gasket up into the groove ,without completely removing the cover ............ its A LOT simpler that way
Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

now.....can I do that passenger side that way stampde? Cuz thats the side that needs the attention.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang